JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20 201113 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Aug 22 20:0611th Aug 22 20:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:38 am  
I think the one sport that does it right is horse racing. Both genders seem knowledgeable and grown up within the sport. Couple of comedy types but mostly very slick presenters. Sky/ITV have got it spot on imo.Even the ex jockeys add to the show McCoy Fitz etc and of course the lady jockeys are going great guns which makes their sport look miles ahead in the Ladies sport revolution.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:20 am  
post wrote:
Lee Crooks, Garry Schofield etc.

Sorry, I though we were looking for ways to improve the standard of punditry.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7252
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 24 14:4929th May 24 09:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 am  
I thought Lois was excellent. She appeared to grow in confidence during the show and made some really articulate and well-informed points.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 am  
post wrote:
It seems like the RL commentary team are going the same was as football and crow barring a female rugby league player on the panel.

Now women’s rugby league is no better than the worst men’s league so why have them on? I get football because it isn’t a bad standard, but the RL is. What insight can a woman have who’s played a handful of games at a low standard have over a Superleague player or ex-player for that matter like say Lee Briers, Tommy Martyn, Leon Pryce, Lee Crooks, Garry Schofield etc.

Anyone’s else agree?

Please don’t just call me a masogynist, come up with a factual response if you disagree.

"WHEN ARE WE GOING TO HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL MEN'S DAY, EH?!"

What a load of tripe - by your standards, a massive proportion of the people who commentate and comment on sport in this country would be out of a job - and this forum would be like a ghost town, since your qualifying criteria seems to be that one has to have played the game at a level equal to, or higher, than the people you are commenting on? Do you have a view on Eddie for example, who by his own admission, has never thrown a pass in anger?

I thought it was a positive move - and regardless of the specific individual, it would be no bad thing if the Sky team were more diverse going forward.

And men - if you're thinking of typing or saying that it was good because she's nicer to look at than the men, well done for spectacularly missing the point.
My Mate Ronnie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years316th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 am  
The young lady did well.

For those interested its Tuesday 19th of November ........
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:26 am  
bren2k wrote:
"WHEN ARE WE GOING TO HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL MEN'S DAY, EH?!"

What a load of tripe - by your standards, a massive proportion of the people who commentate and comment on sport in this country would be out of a job - and this forum would be like a ghost town, since your qualifying criteria seems to be that one has to have played the game at a level equal to, or higher, than the people you are commenting on? Do you have a view on Eddie for example, who by his own admission, has never thrown a pass in anger?

I thought it was a positive move - and regardless of the specific individual, it would be no bad thing if the Sky team were more diverse going forward.

And men - if you're thinking of typing or saying that it was good because she's nicer to look at than the men, well done for spectacularly missing the point.

I’m against bringing on a guest player who isn’t qualified to give an expert opinion just on because of their sex. I’m also against having Stuart Cummings on too, he kills the debate by clearing up the rules on the spot making it sterile.

Eddie Hemmings is a commentator, he wasn’t billed as being the all knowing and that’s why they had a ex-player on in Stevo (not that Stevo knew anything) but Stevo had won the Ashes and the World Cup and played in Australia at the highest level for Penrith.

You say the majority of commentators would be out of a job? They’re commentators/journalists etc, I’m fine with Tanya Arnold, Angela Powers, Claire Balding etc what I’m getting at is the women’s SL is nowhere near the standard that warrants female players giving expert opinion from a players perspective on Superleague when they are unqualified and lack the experience to do so. For the same reason I don’t want Jon Wells giving his opinion as he was probably one of the worst players ever in SL.

Now if it was Women’s SL on the TV, I would prefer all females commentating and only ex or current female SL players as guests.

It isn’t personal, the woman last night seemed like a lovely person and knowledgable about RL, she’s probably a cracking player too but I stand by my opinion and won’t be bullied into changing it.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years206th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th May 24 15:224th May 24 14:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:49 am  
Still waiting for the day SKY have a guest that doesn't have a broad norvern accent. Maybe it would be too much of a shock for their majority-Yorkshire audience so daren't try it.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain783No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 19 06:3719th May 19 04:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:53 am  
post wrote:
I’m against bringing on a guest player who isn’t qualified to give an expert opinion just on because of their sex. I’m also against having Stuart Cummings on too, he kills the debate by clearing up the rules on the spot making it sterile.

Eddie Hemmings is a commentator, he wasn’t billed as being the all knowing and that’s why they had a ex-player on in Stevo (not that Stevo knew anything) but Stevo had won the Ashes and the World Cup and played in Australia at the highest level for Penrith.

You say the majority of commentators would be out of a job? They’re commentators/journalists etc, I’m fine with Tanya Arnold, Angela Powers, Claire Balding etc what I’m getting at is the women’s SL is nowhere near the standard that warrants female players giving expert opinion from a players perspective on Superleague when they are unqualified and lack the experience to do so. For the same reason I don’t want Jon Wells giving his opinion as he was probably one of the worst players ever in SL.

Now if it was Women’s SL on the TV, I would prefer all females commentating and only ex or current female SL players as guests.

It isn’t personal, the woman last night seemed like a lovely person and knowledgable about RL, she’s probably a cracking player too but I stand by my opinion and won’t be bullied into changing it.

you are not being bullied, you are being, rightly, shamed for sexism.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:10 pm  
post wrote:

So you're advocating segregation of the sexes in RL commentary/punditry now as well?

The hole you dug with your OP is fast becoming a crater, but rather than climb out, you've brought in the backhoe and gone at it even harder.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Women on Sky : Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:16 pm  
MGarbutt1986 wrote:
you are not being bullied, you are being, rightly, shamed for sexism.

Would you want Prof Brian Cox to teach you about the solar system or would you want Gill Smith from Wakefield Star Gazing Society?
Would that be sexist if you chose Brian Cox or admitted you’d prefer him to her?

Now athletics is different, is is tennis to an extent, so maybe is football. In horse racing female jockeys compete against men and beat them, so having a female jockey brought into the studio to give expert analysis on horse racing from a jockeys point of view would be fine as they’d have the top level expertise that would qualify them to do so. But the gap between top level men’s and top level women’s is too large.

I’m a boxing fan, and I love watching Katie Taylor and I truly believe she’d beat a lot of men so if they brought her into studio to give expert opinion she’d be qualified to do so as she has faught all over the world and in my opinion is the best PFP female boxer on the planet. So am I sexist if I have that opinion or not? Or is it only when I criticise them?
PreviousNext