Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace What is Magic About Next Weekend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Magic About Next Weekend?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

GIANTSRL wrote:we already have enough derbies they lose their magic no pun intended if we have them all the time, keep them to twice a season!

You can still have them twice a season if you move magic to Easter and just play the games Friday Monday but only one game for all teams just have to find a ground we’re it might be possible

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The thing is, I’ve never know many scousers want to watch rugby league. They’re only interested in football and fighting sports.

I’d say the Geordies are more open minded, in fact 3 were sat in front of me on Saturday in the Kop.

Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

It may not have made much difference to the attendance but it doesn't help when there is a full programme of Championship games that weekend especially on Sunday.
I know it's meant to be a Super League event but that shouldn't preclude fans from other clubs.
Again it wouldn't help coming the weekend after the Summer Bash but it wouldn't be difficult in future to make them further apart.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

As a Liverpool fan I knew that magic wouldn't work. Anfield is not suited for the full weekend and there is nothing to entertain fans outside the stadium.

I genuinely think it would have been much better to stay in Newcastle. As other posters have said. Find a venue. Tie it in for 5 years and push to make it better year upon year. It doesn't feel like that would be too difficult.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

So what are super league going to do to see what happened here? Market research to see why people didn't go this year? Market research to see where people want to go?

Or do nothing and just go to the highest bidder?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:33 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

infamous grouse wrote:It may not have made much difference to the attendance but it doesn't help when there is a full programme of Championship games that weekend especially on Sunday.
I know it's meant to be a Super League event but that shouldn't preclude fans from other clubs.
Again it wouldn't help coming the weekend after the Summer Bash but it wouldn't be difficult in future to make them further apart.

Spot on. It’s daft. Any time a big RL event is held there shouldn’t be any lower league or even amateur games on the same day as it.
There’s only likely to be a max of 8 RL events in the year including internationals:
World Club Challenge
Magic Weekend
Cup Semi Finals
Cup Final
Grand Final
3x Internationals

It isn’t impossible to ensure that when those events occur they are the only RL activities taking place.
Then introduce a system whereby all clubs, including amateur clubs, can profit from selling tickets to those events and the RFL help organise/get discounts on travel and accommodation then I think we’d see a lot better uptake.
Time the whole sport started pulling in the direction and we mobilise the entire sport rather than just dumping all the responsibility on a few clubs who make these events, sometimes with only very little notice.
We also need certainty. None of this moving Magic Weekend or Internationals around constantly. Tell us it’s going to be at Anfield for 5 years, then after 3 reassess and announce another 5 year deal etc. Same for internationals.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:12 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Him wrote:Spot on. It’s daft. Any time a big RL event is held there shouldn’t be any lower league or even amateur games on the same day as it.
There’s only likely to be a max of 8 RL events in the year including internationals:
World Club Challenge
Magic Weekend
Cup Semi Finals
Cup Final
Grand Final
3x Internationals

It isn’t impossible to ensure that when those events occur they are the only RL activities taking place.
Then introduce a system whereby all clubs, including amateur clubs, can profit from selling tickets to those events and the RFL help organise/get discounts on travel and accommodation then I think we’d see a lot better uptake.
Time the whole sport started pulling in the direction and we mobilise the entire sport rather than just dumping all the responsibility on a few clubs who make these events, sometimes with only very little notice.
We also need certainty. None of this moving Magic Weekend or Internationals around constantly. Tell us it’s going to be at Anfield for 5 years, then after 3 reassess and announce another 5 year deal etc. Same for internationals.

Should all matches be cancelled the week before too for the Big Bash or will we be categorising 'events'?

Mac out!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:00 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

wire-quin wrote:Should all matches be cancelled the week before too for the Big Bash or will we be categorising 'events'?

It depends how much effort RL wants to put into the Summer Bash. Personally I wouldn’t because there’s always going to be limited support for it and it would be somewhat of the tail wagging the dog.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:26 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Him wrote:Spot on. It’s daft. Any time a big RL event is held there shouldn’t be any lower league or even amateur games on the same day as it.
World Club Challenge
Magic Weekend
Cup Semi Finals
Cup Final
Grand Final
3x Internationals

Great post : :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:
#planningandstability

One of THE biggest problems with our sport is the lack of any proper long term strategy.
We are forever chopping and changing and looking for the "golden bullet"

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
wire-quin wrote: Should all matches be cancelled the week before too for the Big Bash or will we be categorising 'events'?

Him wrote:It depends how much effort RL wants to put into the Summer Bash. Personally I wouldn’t because there’s always going to be limited support for it and it would be somewhat of the tail wagging the dog.

The viewing figures for the Leigh v Widnes Summer Bash game aren't bad though are they? Here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com