Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1525
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/50319010

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 12766
Location: Leeds 13
For me, it's about two things -

1. Should SL be able to attract top, marketable talents like SBW?

2. Should those top talents be able to earn their worth by playing in SL?

To me, the answer to both is yes.

I've no issue with a salary cap of sorts, but this salary cap is not the right one. It's two low, it's too flawed, it doesn't encourage standards to rise and it hasn't been successful in delivering on the two most oft-cited justifications for it - to level the playing field (there are still only four names on the trophy) and to encourage financial security.

Personally, I'd move to an FFP style system where the salary cap is linked to a percentage of club turnover. A hard cap is too restrictive, it makes it harder for clubs to attract (or keep) talent that they could overwise afford, it imposes real-terms pay cuts on the players and it sets a base standard (and a base cost of competing) that people object to seeing increased because it would increase their personal cost. An FFP model (say 60% of club turnover), would put a bigger emphasis on clubs to grow off the field if they want to compete on it.






Quote:I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls


Quote:Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.


Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 pm
Posts: 268
He wants it lifting because Toronto have been swamped with enquiries from NRL players agents.

Of course it needs lifting. This is why the standard of SL is so woeful. The top clubs - St Helens, Leeds, Wigan and Catalans are being held back by all the other clubs who dont want these clubs spending more on players because its "unfair". Players are now earning far less than they did 15 years ago in real money terms. But hey, the cap must be working because Salford made the grand final

Its a joke.






Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 6399
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Steph Curry wrote:He wants it lifting because Toronto have been swamped with enquiries from NRL players agents.

Of course it needs lifting. This is why the standard of SL is so woeful. The top clubs - St Helens, Leeds, Wigan and Catalans are being held back by all the other clubs who dont want these clubs spending more on players because its "unfair". Players are now earning far less than they did 15 years ago in real money terms. But hey, the cap must be working because Salford made the grand final

.



There you go then.






Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12678
bramleyrhino wrote:For me, it's about two things -

1. Should SL be able to attract top, marketable talents like SBW?

2. Should those top talents be able to earn their worth by playing in SL?

To me, the answer to both is yes.

I've no issue with a salary cap of sorts, but this salary cap is not the right one. It's two low, it's too flawed, it doesn't encourage standards to rise and it hasn't been successful in delivering on the two most oft-cited justifications for it - to level the playing field (there are still only four names on the trophy) and to encourage financial security.

Personally, I'd move to an FFP style system where the salary cap is linked to a percentage of club turnover. A hard cap is too restrictive, it makes it harder for clubs to attract (or keep) talent that they could overwise afford, it imposes real-terms pay cuts on the players and it sets a base standard (and a base cost of competing) that people object to seeing increased because it would increase their personal cost. An FFP model (say 60% of club turnover), would put a bigger emphasis on clubs to grow off the field if they want to compete on it.


Although the cap should have been increasing year on year since it's inception, with the marque player rule, there is nothing to prevent clubs signing a couple of super stars, just as Toronto have done with SBW and with the marque player rule in place, does there really need to be a fundamental change in the cap ?

It's clear why Noble wants a change, to benefit the club that he is currently involved with.
However, maybe the issue with Toronto, is that they are offering contracts which are OTT and therefore need additional cap space to allow them to bring in more players.
Part of having the cap is to "encourage" clubs to manage their squad intake and as we are some way behind NRL and Union, it almost doesn't matter how much the cap is increased, as we will still be in exactly the same position.

It's important to remember why the cap was put in place, to prevent clubs (like Toronto, Wigan, Widnes) from bankrupting the sport

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:27 pm
Posts: 5503
Location: Bradford
I don't think the cap should be lifted. You've got your marquee exemptions for any big names you want to bring in.
How about we try and actually grow the sport in this country instead? Why not offer incentives for bringing players through your academy instead? And I mean far more attractive incentives than what we already have.

I don't want teams throwing money around when most clubs are only sustainable thanks to debts being underwritten by benefactors. That is not a healthy long term strategy for the sport. Any top NRL talent are here for nothing but money and once that dries up they will go back home and we will be left with nothing in their place.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:19 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 313
Nothus wrote:I don't think the cap should be lifted. You've got your marquee exemptions for any big names you want to bring in.
How about we try and actually grow the sport in this country instead? Why not offer incentives for bringing players through your academy instead? And I mean far more attractive incentives than what we already have.

I don't want teams throwing money around when most clubs are only sustainable thanks to debts being underwritten by benefactors. That is not a healthy long term strategy for the sport. Any top NRL talent are here for nothing but money and once that dries up they will go back home and we will be left with nothing in their place.


As with any sport players go where the money is and why shouldn't they?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12678
Nothus wrote:I don't think the cap should be lifted. You've got your marquee exemptions for any big names you want to bring in.
How about we try and actually grow the sport in this country instead? Why not offer incentives for bringing players through your academy instead? And I mean far more attractive incentives than what we already have.

I don't want teams throwing money around when most clubs are only sustainable thanks to debts being underwritten by benefactors. That is not a healthy long term strategy for the sport. Any top NRL talent are here for nothing but money and once that dries up they will go back home and we will be left with nothing in their place.


Absolutely agree and although Toronto are still trying to generate interest, after all they are playing a new sport, in a new city, what are they actually doing to begin to create their own stars of the future ?
After all, this is what would make them sustainable in the longer term.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:29 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:27 pm
Posts: 5503
Location: Bradford
puroresu_boy wrote:As with any sport players go where the money is and why shouldn't they?


That wasn't really my point. Of course they will follow the money. But you need a flow of new talent as well otherwise the sport will become unsustainable. Getting rid of the salary cap could lead to our junior talent missing out because clubs would just spend money on an already established player instead.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brian Noble wants Salary cap lifted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Posts: 9565
Location: 10 mins walk from Suncorp Stadium
For me the code has been in dire need of a circuit-breaker to drag it up and out of the ever decreasing circle of poverty its in. Toronto are a risk, but to me one the game has to take if it doesn't want to end up a semi-pro feeder for union and NRL.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next





It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:03 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRIXTON, Donnyman, little wayne69, Someday, TimperleySaint, tyr and 171 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:03 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,4151,49977,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2

.