Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace New York are bolted on...



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:31 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Posts: 316
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/117807867/new-york-rugby-league-circle-marquee-players-in-the-wake-of-sonny-bill-williams-move?fbclid=IwAR1VJCHojjwm83RWTBHByJniwkBUBSOWJWcDxgyGPQzb05PiMjzGI3OwRHw

Quote:Wilby had previously worked with the Catalans Dragons expansion club.

Program Printer....= working with expansion club? :CRAZY:

Got to love the off season.....all the nutters come out. There's 2 BBC threads over on total fascist RL.COM claiming that a clive James obituary and a mike Portillo train journey show are proof that auntie hates us, even though she shows live club RL :CRAZY:

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 pm
Posts: 268
This is great news! Their team is going to be stacked! SL by 2024 will easily be obtainable






Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 am 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 62
AXE2GRIND wrote:https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/117807867/new-york-rugby-league-circle-marquee-players-in-the-wake-of-sonny-bill-williams-move?fbclid=IwAR1VJCHojjwm83RWTBHByJniwkBUBSOWJWcDxgyGPQzb05PiMjzGI3OwRHw

Got to love the off season.....all the nutters come out. There's 2 BBC threads over on total fascist RL.COM claiming that a clive James obituary and a mike Portillo train journey show are proof that auntie hates us, even though she shows live club RL :CRAZY:


I suppose that if TWP can make it all the way to Superleague with the apparent approval of the game here, and sign players nobody else could, it sets out the exact path the next North American club would logically need to follow to get to Supeleague. This press release was also with the added detail that "in time" New York would produce their own Rugby League players from a junior system. You need to note in your diary for next year that Ottawa will be putting out that same press release, only the names of the marquee players will change, but Ottawa born RL stars will be promised for 2050.

That TWP "did it", came with a £5Million deficit, before they started their major spend on this year and beyond, so they will rack the debts up into tens of millions in time. Is Ricky Wilby really that rich to be able to follow that or does he have the usual "mystery investors"? I don't suppose investigative journalism has any place in the Rugby League press, I can only surmise that those who (and I am very very thankful they do - thank you Gentlemen) scratch a living putting out Rugby League Newspapers and Magazines prefer to report all this "growth and glamour" rather than undertake any investigative journalism on the realities and difficulties. You don't appear to be enamoured with Total.RL.COM, what on earth did they do to you?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 62
Steph Curry wrote:This is great news! Their team is going to be stacked! SL by 2024 will easily be obtainable


Which English Superleague club do you hope will get relegated to the second tier for New York Steph? What if it turns out to be your club?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:00 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Newcastle, Hunter Valley
Rugby League has been played in and around New York for 20 years now and they have had junior programmes running at times in places like Rhode Island and Delaware.
They have had a handful of players with NRL experience over the years, and even SOO rep Daniel Wagon for a few years.
Several American born players have also played or trained with qld cup and strong country sides in Australia like Helensburg in the Illawarra comp. One winger, Smith was his name if I remember correctly, trained with Parramatta for a pre season after he scored a good try playing for USA against Australia.
There are at least a thousand guys in New York or surrounding areas who have played more league at a higher level than most people on this forum.
When you whiners are talking down Canada, you can make some fair points about them only playing League for 3 years or so, but guys from the New England area in America toured Australia as far back as the early 2000's and played games against teams like Saint George reserves in Sydney, Wyong Roos in Wyong and played 7s against teams like South Sydney, Lebanon and Fiji at Russell Crowe's comp in Coffs harbour (I was at all those games).
In short, League is alive and well in New York.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:24 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 pm
Posts: 268
Donnyman wrote:Which English Superleague club do you hope will get relegated to the second tier for New York Steph? What if it turns out to be your club?


Whoever finishes lasts. That will be who deserves to get relegated.

I really cant see it being St Helens though. By 2024 we will have the likes of Lewis Dodd, Jack Welsby and Josh Simm who will all be England Internationals by then, tearing up SL.






Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:34 am 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 62
roopy wrote:Rugby League has been played in and around New York for 20 years now. There are at least a thousand guys in New York or surrounding areas who have played more league at a higher level than most people on this forum. When you whiners are talking down Canada, you can make some fair points about them only playing League for 3 years or so, but guys from the New England area in America toured Australia as far back as the early 2000's. League is alive and well in New York.


Don't get me wrong mate, I'll only whine if New York don't bother with any USA players and just sign up players en masse from the English club who get's relegated next year and then sign up Aussie marquee type players past their sell by dates. I am very well aware of the USARL and of their International sides. As far as I know their poor performance in the World cup was due to them deliberately fielding USA born players. Toronto Wolfpack could not get rid of their North American players fast enough.

What the article and other statements they make say to me, is that New York will buy the best players then can from anywhere they can. I am only concerned that they will totally ignore American players - do you really think they will want to be playing in the Championship for the next ten years nurturing these lads?? Again apologies if I have got this wrong or upset you.


Last edited by Donnyman on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 am 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 62
Steph Curry wrote:Whoever finishes lasts. That will be who deserves to get relegated. I really cant see it being St Helens though. By 2024 we will have the likes of Lewis Dodd, Jack Welsby and Josh Simm who will all be England Internationals by then, tearing up SL.


So your OK then Steph! I don't know where this is all going but I can't see (allegedly) rich north american clubs going on recruiting from relegated English SL sides. Won't TWP, Ottawa and New York want to sign players like Percival, Grace, Roby, Makinson Thompson and Walmesley with their marquee allowances? How would you feel if their scouts were watching the debuts of Dodd, Welsby and Simm?? Surely they will be after your players Steph, not Wakefields.....Does this not worry you??

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:07 pm
Posts: 268
Donnyman wrote:So your OK then Steph! I don't know where this is all going but I can't see (allegedly) rich north american clubs going on recruiting from relegated English SL sides. Won't TWP, Ottawa and New York want to sign players like Percival, Grace, Roby, Makinson Thompson and Walmesley with their marquee allowances? How would you feel if their scouts were watching the debuts of Dodd, Welsby and Simm?? Surely they will be after your players Steph, not Wakefields.....Does this not worry you??


Why should it worry me? You are making it sound like New York targeting players is a new thing and never happened before. Teams are always sniffing around our players.






Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New York are bolted on...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:00 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Newcastle, Hunter Valley
Donnyman wrote:Don't get me wrong mate, I'll only whine if New York don't bother with any USA players and just sign up players en masse from the English club who get's relegated next year and then sign up Aussie marquee type players past their sell by dates. I am very well aware of the USARL and of their International sides. As far as I know their poor performance in the World cup was due to them deliberately fielding USA born players. Toronto Wolfpack could not get rid of their North American players fast enough.

What the article and other statements they make say to me, is that New York will buy the best players then can from anywhere they can. I am only concerned that they will totally ignore American players - do you really think they will want to be playing in the Championship for the next ten years?? Again apologies if I have got this wrong or upset you.

Of course they will get the best players they can - like every other side.
They do have a very strong American bias I have noticed in conversations with them over the years, so if they can find American players of a good enough standard, they certainly will, but they aren't crazy enough to throw a lot of money around to field an uncompetitive side.
My feeling is that they will be about half American born in the lower grades, but if they make the ESL they'll probably only be able to find 2 or 3 American players of that standard for the first year or two, but America isn't the strongest sporting nation on earth by accident. They will throw a lot of money and effort at developing their own players, as they do in every sport.
From my conversations with the players I talked to at the Orana 7s competition in Coffs Harbour, Americans are convinced they will dominate Rugby League if they get serious, for no other reason than they are Americans, and that's what they do, and supporting "funny talkers", as they call Australian and English players, is not the way they see things going.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next





It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRIXTON, Donnyman, little wayne69, Someday, Steph Curry, TimperleySaint, tyr and 167 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,4141,42277,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2

.