WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Alternative attendance figures, just out of interest.

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Alternative attendance figures, just out of interest.


Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
When you look at raw attendance figures they can be misleading when expressing the importance of the club to its community. A different but not necessarily better guide is the percentage of the population from each clubs catchment area that regularly attends games. This is not overly scientific and there are lots of other factors coming into play. Most obvious being the recent success of each club, its facilities and competition from other sports in that area. All the same, it's interesting, the most dramatic being Leeds at the bottom, not that most clubs wouldn’t kill for those figures.

I’ve left out London because it's not fair to compare them to anyone and Catalan because they are SL’s only regional club and thus it's hard to pin down their exact catchment area.

These are not super accurate figures but close enough, I've rounded them up to the nearest 0.5%. Apologies if I've made any huge errors, I'm sure they will be corrected. :lol:


2019 SL Figures by attendance

St Helens  11,910
Leeds Rhinos 11,838
Hull FC 11,478
Wigan Warriors 11,432
Warrington Wolves 10,970
Hull KR 8,185
Castleford Tigers 7,253
Wakefield Trinity 5,468 
Huddersfield Giants 5,222
Salford 3,676

2019 SL Figures by the percentage of the population

Average Population Percentage
Castleford Tigers 7,253 40,210 18%
St Helens  11,910 102,629  11.5%
Wigan Warriors 11,432 103,608 11%
Hull FC 11,478 130,248 (50%) 9%
Hull KR 8,185 130,248 (50%) 6.5%
Wakefield Trinity 5,468  99,251 6%
Warrington Wolves 10,970 209,547 5%
Huddersfield Giants 5,222 162,949 3.5%
Salford 3,676 103,886 3.5%
Leeds Rhinos 11,838 789,194 1.5%



 

 
Last edited by Fishermanscap on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatarFearTheVee wrote:
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 10957
Location: Much too far South
Some interesting maths there!

11,910 is 8% of 102,629?

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15250
Oooohh, you've done it now FC, I hope you've got you're tin hat ready :lol:

More interestingly, those figures do show what effect a little bit of success (or lack of it) has in terms of support.
Both Wigan and Leeds attendances have fallen alarmingly from just a few years ago.
IIRC both of them were around 15k average.
Cas too, were somewhere around 9k

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
wrencat1873 wrote:
Oooohh, you've done it now FC, I hope you've got you're tin hat ready :lol:

More interestingly, those figures do show what effect a little bit of success (or lack of it) has in terms of support.
Both Wigan and Leeds attendances have fallen alarmingly from just a few years ago.
IIRC both of them were around 15k average.
Cas too, were somewhere around 9k


Nah I put the disclaimer on there if you worried about the pedants in life you'd say nowt :D

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
FearTheVee wrote:
Some interesting maths there!

11,910 is 8% of 102,629?


Apologies, 11.5%, is that near enough for you?

User avatarnumber 6 wrote:
number 6 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 11049
4 of those SL clubs dont have competition in their own town/city, (not a football club within 20-30 minutes) so the ones who do, leeds, fc, kr and wigan seem to well still in that case

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
number 6 wrote:
4 of those SL clubs dont have competition in their own town/city, (not a football club within 20-30 minutes) so the ones who do, leeds, fc, kr and wigan seem to well still in that case


Leeds don't in statistical terms but the rest do, that's why I did note there were other factors. Also as the crow flies Elland road isn't much further from BV than it is from Headingly. Trinity definitely suffers from football encroachment from both Leeds and Barnsley as I suspect a fair few others do, most notably Salford and the two Manchester clubs, Old Trafford is almost in Salford.

User avatarthe artist wrote:
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 pm
Posts: 6721
Location: At the cider bus, Worthy Farm, Somerset
Interesting analysis but as you say very hard to do with any degree of accuracy. With my area I think you need to include east Yorkshire as well as hull, because a large part of FCs support comes from the edge of hull which is in the East riding, villages such as brough cottingham willerby anlaby and hessle, also Beverley. All these areas are part of the rugby community, most players live there and draw support from them. I'm sure rovers will make a similar case for the East side. Each club will have different community geographical boundaries so it's not always as simple as just using the city population and dividing it between resident clubs.
The referee's indecision is final

User avatarnumber 6 wrote:
number 6 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 11049
Fishermanscap wrote:
Leeds don't in statistical terms but the rest do, that's why I did note there were other factors. Also as the crow flies Elland road isn't much further from BV than it is from Headingly. Trinity definitely suffers from football encroachment from both Leeds and Barnsley as I suspect a fair few others do, most notably Salford and the two Manchester clubs, Old Trafford is almost in Salford.



if your doing towns/cities populations to their clubs crowds, only fair to dismiss those football clubs you named, elland road is still in leeds, regardless if it isnt much futher to belle vue! salford now have to compete against their own cities football club, many salford fans will say its a city in itself...not manchester

User avatarbramleyrhino wrote:
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 12792
Location: Leeds 13
number 6 wrote:
if your doing towns/cities populations to their clubs crowds, only fair to dismiss those football clubs you named, elland road is still in leeds, regardless if it isnt much futher to belle vue! salford now have to compete against their own cities football club, many salford fans will say its a city in itself...not manchester


Why stop at football clubs? All of our clubs are competing with all manner of things people can spend their leisure dollar on - whether its a family night at the cinema or a Friday night out on the lash. For some clubs, that represents an awful lot of competition.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls


Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.


Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ComeOnYouUll, ducknumber1, hengirl, Ste100Centurions and 118 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,117,3341,21378,4284,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X