JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 am  
rollin thunder wrote:
Probably 80-120k are purely RL subscribers yes. All my family and several of my friends and neighbours get sky for RL and they would all cancel.
If someone like BT sport signed up super league they would get a huge boost in subscribers, my subscription would go where ever the super went end of.

Of course this may be a plot from sky to get super league to breakaway and go to a closed shop 14 team franchise with London and Toulouse added.

Which is why Premier Sports went to the wall when they dropped RL.

Oh. Wait. That didn't happen.

I'd say that the number of Sky subs that genuinely rely on RL is worryingly small. Around 250,000 watched the first Wigan v Leeds game of the season (the highest rated match of the first four rounds of 2019). To suggest that almost half of those subscriptions rely "purely" on RL is a massive leap to make.
Last edited by bramleyrhino on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 20 11:2121st Oct 20 10:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:47 am  
rollin thunder wrote:
Even if that is the case 30k x around £60 a month with sky sports package plus bolt movies and other, would be a loss if around 25 -30 million a year if Sky loose these subscribers due to dropping RL.

You've just answered your own question.

The last TV deal was £182m over five years. (https://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super- ... w-tv-deal/). That's £36m pounds a year.

Even by your maths, dropping RL is worth between £5m and £11m to Sky's bottom line.
rollin thunder wrote:
Even if that is the case 30k x around £60 a month with sky sports package plus bolt movies and other, would be a loss if around 25 -30 million a year if Sky loose these subscribers due to dropping RL.

You've just answered your own question.

The last TV deal was £182m over five years. (https://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super- ... w-tv-deal/). That's £36m pounds a year.

Even by your maths, dropping RL is worth between £5m and £11m to Sky's bottom line.
RankPostsTeam
International Star342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 201112 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 10:4724th Feb 24 12:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
I know that it would never happen but, if Leigh were playing in a French league, how many away games would you mange to watch ?
It's totally unrealistic for Catalan (and Toronto) fans to attend more than say, one away fixture.
As far as watching on TV, I wonder what effect the number of people watching on "bootleg" channels has on the Sky deal.
I only know of 1 person that pays Sky to watch RL on Sky sports. Of course, the advertisers still get to "sell" their products to the people that dont pay for a Sky subscription but, if their revenue is dependent on people actually paying for Sky + Rugby League, we are screwed for the next deal and do these people count in the figures.
And to reply to the "faux" Frenchman, would London being in Super League make any difference whatsoever to the numbers of people in London watching RL ?
They have 1000-1500 home fans and most of them are "displaced" Northerners or Aussies, it's just more fake news. :CRAZY:

The main point was French, Canadian and Americans living in uk with access to Sky Tv, the suggestion being they are likely to watch a team from their country. My point was there would be a small percentage give the interest in their countries in RL. More likely you would get that same RL Uk fans watching the new teams initially out of novelty.

Think the bigger question is What SL and RL will look like with a big drop on funding?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 am  
Leyther14 wrote:
Why would New York, Ottawa, and Toronto be of interest to Sky when they don’t sell subscriptions in those countries.

A key point that is brushed aside by Jean's terrible self serving reply that people from France and NA living here will buy dishes in their hundreds!! No offence Jean!! :D McManus was very clear SKY must have a high English content and that is nine English clubs minimum. Last year SL tried to bring in a 10 club SL, and a 10 club SL has been argued since they abandoned licensing. Shane Richardson said last week SL should be 10 clubs, and as SKY say they are dropping the money there is every chance we will go to 10 clubs so that maximises the share per club of a guaranteed much lower deal.

Do the math everyone, if the SKY contract needs 9 English clubs to sell adequate subscriptions there is no room for the expansion dream is there?. That's exactly why Mr. Perez put the capture of a NATV TV deal high on his agenda. Mr. McDermott admitted there is no such deal nor any prospect of one. The expansion dreamworld we have been in since 2006 is set to end 2021. Wake up ladies and gents!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 18:2314th Apr 24 09:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:53 am  
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
You are both very confused.

The issue is not the number of rugby league fans who attend the London Broncos games at the London stadium -- often after having to travel for over an hour, or maybe two, on the train or tube system to do so. It is instead an issue of the number of people sitting at home on their lounges who will choose to watch the game on the television. That is where having a London team in the Super League makes a difference.

Really ??

Just how many of these mythical creatures are there and just how many of those base their decision on whether to subscribe to RL on Sky based on the inclusion of a London side.
Should I point out that London were only back in SL for 1 season and remembering that most of the potential viewers in London dont know who London Broncos are, it makes zero difference.
The whole myth about expansion clubs being of greater importance to Sky was blown out of the water at the last re vamp of the league structure, when it was decided that the inclusion of Toronto and Toulouse wasn't even worth considering, which would suggest that despite all of the froth and hype form certain advocates of expansion, we stuck with the same 12 clubs, albeit with a return to promotion and relegation.

It seems like Mr Elstone will indeed have to work very hard to gain any kind of improved deal and the words from Brian Carney may give an insight as to what Sky are thinking here - very worrying times for the game and it's to be hoped that we have a plan B.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am  
Leyther14 wrote:
The main point was French, Canadian and Americans living in uk with access to Sky Tv, the suggestion being they are likely to watch a team from their country. My point was there would be a small percentage give the interest in their countries in RL. More likely you would get that same RL Uk fans watching the new teams initially out of novelty.

Think the bigger question is What SL and RL will look like with a big drop on funding?

Bang on - Les Catalans are already on SKY - how many ex-pats buy subs here? 10? As for Canadians interested in rugby league enough to buy subs here how many? two or three?.

You can straight away predict SL 2021, Caddick, Pearson, Hudgell, Fulton, Davey, Moran, McManus, Lenigan, Carter and Beaumont. The wild card is Wood at Bradford.

A long shot though is TWP, Barcelona, Belgrade, Perpignan. Ottawa, Toulouse, New York, Boston. Rome and Vancouver. The wild card is Perth (WA)....
Last edited by Donnyman on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Really ??

Despite all of the froth and hype form certain advocates of expansion, we stuck with the same 12 clubs....

It seems like Mr Elstone will indeed have to work very hard to gain any kind of improved deal and the words from Brian Carney may give an insight as to what Sky are thinking here - very worrying times for the game and it's to be hoped that we have a plan B.

I'm puzzled you believe (as a realist) they will stay at 12? I don't see that Elstone has any sort of a hand to play at all?? The penny has dropped with me that Carney's the SKY anchorman for RL so that's probably relevant to the validity of his comments, but there has been a more rounded explanation that SKY were up against newbies BT last time and they flexed their financial muscles. Now BT and SKY are more in harmony and BT are happy to let SKY take the game. I trust that SKY won't shoot themselves in the foot by giving us so little that the quality drops?

How about £2.5M a club for 10 clubs for 5 years = £125M?? We talk about 2021 is it the case the season coming up 2020 is the last season under this deal do you know?
Last edited by Donnyman on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am  
Donnyman wrote:
I'm puzzled you believe (as a realist) they will stay at 12? I don't see that Elstone has any sort of a hand to play at all?? The penny has dropped with me that Carney's the SKY anchorman for RL so that's probably relevant to the validity of his comments, but there has been a more rounded explanation that SKY were up against newbies BT last time and they flexed their financial muscles. Now BT and SKY are more in harmony and BT are happy to let SKY take the game. I trust that SKY won't shoot themselves in the foot by giving us so little that the quality drops?

We talk about 2021 is it the case the season coming up 2020 is the last season under this deal do you know?

The current deal is until the end of the 2021:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... rship-deal
Donnyman wrote:

We talk about 2021 is it the case the season coming up 2020 is the last season under this deal do you know?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:

Thank you for very kindly letting me know that, sadly we may have to suffer constant blueprints for European, Transatlantic and World leagues for two years to come yet. :( :( :(
wrencat1873 wrote:

Thank you for very kindly letting me know that, sadly we may have to suffer constant blueprints for European, Transatlantic and World leagues for two years to come yet. :( :( :(
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17880
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news : Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 am  
Donnyman wrote:

Nah, discussions will be ongoing and hopefully, there are other broadcasting companies that may be interested and if we are really lucky, now that we have an international look to SL, be willing to throw even more at RL, after all it is "the greatest game" :D
PreviousNext