FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Key to Success is...
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years219th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 pm  
Cokey wrote:
Well I've agreed with you from the start of your postings. I'm not sure how many times you have to repeat yourself, when same posters keep challenging you? However, I do enjoy reading your posts, and it feels great that we've got rid of TWP from the championship. :)

Well take care my friend - the Championship may get them back next season :o They say the table does not lie and as it stands they are stood on the trap door, and your club are on the top rung of the ladder to Superleague. I was at Headingley for the Championship final a few years back when Leigh won the division in style against Fev. There was no promotion then but when you did get it, who can forget the 50 points you stuck on Wigan. To get relegated when you did not come bottom was a travesty.

Derek Beaumont obviously put a lot of investment in Leigh and he was the one that challenged the salary cap that restricted Championship clubs to a £Million spend. He got that lifted but it was Argylle who used that to muscle his way to SL with his wallet, with Mr. Beaumont having to just stand aside and wait whilst they went up without a single promise fulfilled on players or TV deals just a load of hot air that insulted most people's intelligence. It will be some sort of justice if each clubs respective current league positions remain the same at the end of the season.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21168
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years57th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 08:5930th Apr 24 12:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: The Key to Success is... : Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:46 pm  
Donnyman wrote:
Well take care my friend - the Championship may get them back next season :o They say the table does not lie and as it stands they are stood on the trap door, and your club are on the top rung of the ladder to Superleague. I was at Headingley for the Championship final a few years back when Leigh won the division in style against Fev. There was no promotion then but when you did get it, who can forget the 50 points you stuck on Wigan. To get relegated when you did not come bottom was a travesty.

Derek Beaumont obviously put a lot of investment in Leigh and he was the one that challenged the salary cap that restricted Championship clubs to a £Million spend. He got that lifted but it was Argylle who used that to muscle his way to SL with his wallet, with Mr. Beaumont having to just stand aside and wait whilst they went up without a single promise fulfilled on players or TV deals just a load of hot air that insulted most people's intelligence. It will be some sort of justice if each clubs respective current league positions remain the same at the end of the season.

Thank you. :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 20204 years315th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 22 12:307th Nov 21 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:01 am  
Donnyman wrote:
Thanks for your intervention. My bad, I did notice Mr. Capdouze had not posted for weeks, and took the "newcomer" at his word. but yes, his reply to me and his reply to you is unmistakable. Anyway attendances at the games at Salford and Wigan have dispelled the myth about how attractive and glamorous TWP are, but I do think the performance of their players at Wigan was highly commendable - albeit they are highly paid and may well have been reminded of this by McDermott on the orders of Argylle.

But as is the way of these forums nobody will admit they were wrong, and the current idea to excuse their struggles is that they are "finding their feet" and are currently disadvantaged by playing "away" every week :lol: Apologists say they will be fine once they start a run of "home games" by which time their injuries will have cleared up, and they can string together some wins to finish mid-table. :roll: You couldn't make it up but they do...

We we shall see how this pans out, but for me the interesting thing is the revelation that Argyle has had to pay way over the odds to get players to sign, and clearly he couldn't find enough players to sign. SO.... how does this pan out for Ottawa or New York? The plan was NEVER just one token NA club. I suggest these pipe dreams that are regularly kicked down the road were abandoned some time ago, and if they weren't then they surely will be now as they can see the reality and the costs as TWP struggle. BUT the RFL may well find it impossible to come clean publicly, as this would be the final nail in the TWP coffin if the follow up clubs publicly admitted they aren't joining...

I can tell that I am most definitely not that annoying so called Frenchman.

On your other points, I too am becoming more sceptical of the new NA clubs. Each announcement has been delayed with the next due before the end of February. If that doesn't come to fruition then I don't hold to much hope.

PS I am still awaiting your counter reply to your beer tent comments. Or are at a loss with that too now?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years219th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 am  
Cokey wrote:
Thank you. :thumb:

It's my pleasure, in 2017 it should have been Widnes down and HKR up. At that time Mr. Beaumont was enthusiastic and philanthropic whilst Mr. O'Connor had lost interest at Widnes. The horrendous system Blake Solly dumped on Superleague was so damaging that it cost us what should now be a solid Superleague club in Leigh. Leigh's attendances were better than Fartowns, Wakey's, Widnes's and Salford's........The solly folly also allowed TWP in as AFAIK the SL clubs had to sign an agreement with the RFL to let the Championship winners go up without hinderance for the course of the current SKY deal.

Which means Leigh can't be turned down if they win the Championship this year!! But Lenegan will well remember WIGAN.v.LEIGH 2017 15,700 attendance.........A bit better than Wigan's last home game :lol: Anyway the Superleague clubs are going to be in charge for 2022, as tumbleweed rolls across the lawns of Red Hall.

And the bottom line for Jean is that the English Superleague clubs will be able to pick who they want in their league. Ottawa and New York anyone? :lol:
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21168
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years57th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 08:5930th Apr 24 12:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: The Key to Success is... : Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:18 am  
Donnyman wrote:
It's my pleasure, in 2017 it should have been Widnes down and HKR up. At that time Mr. Beaumont was enthusiastic and philanthropic whilst Mr. O'Connor had lost interest at Widnes. The horrendous system Blake Solly dumped on Superleague was so damaging that it cost us what should now be a solid Superleague club in Leigh. Leigh's attendances were better than Fartowns, Wakey's, Widnes's and Salford's........The solly folly also allowed TWP in as AFAIK the SL clubs had to sign an agreement with the RFL to let the Championship winners go up without hinderance for the course of the current SKY deal.

Which means Leigh can't be turned down if they win the Championship this year!! But Lenegan will well remember WIGAN.v.LEIGH 2017 15,700 attendance.........A bit better than Wigan's last home game :lol: Anyway the Superleague clubs are going to be in charge for 2022, as tumbleweed rolls across the lawns of Red Hall.

And the bottom line for Jean is that the English Superleague clubs will be able to pick who they want in their league. Ottawa and New York anyone? :lol:

Quite true, well said.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player510No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 20204 years315th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 22 12:307th Nov 21 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:40 am  
Donnyman wrote:

I don't know what your issue is but I have only ever been respectful and courteous towards you, I even agree with some of your points re Toronto. In reply, I get accused of being someone else, my valid points ignored. That's not moving anything forward.

If you and your other mate are so offended that I brought up low attendances of English clubs, have a look at your favourite site, TRL, there's a whole thread discussing the topic. It's not just me.

Also well done to Leigh if they get promoted. But lets not kid ourselves here, their promotion will not be regarded ''expansion'' either.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years219th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 am  
The Silent H wrote:
I don't know what your issue is but I have only ever been respectful and courteous towards you, I even agree with some of your points re Toronto. In reply, I get accused of being someone else, my valid points ignored. That's not moving anything forward. Well done to Leigh if they get promoted. But lets not kid ourselves here, their promotion will not be regarded ''expansion'' either.

Really? Superleague is currently a league with a 10 club English content.

Should Leigh be promoted, Superleague will have another English professional club that will (1) run a player development system to expand the player pool and will (2) attract more English fans to subscribe to the TV deal and expand that income and (3) see hundreds of Leigh fans attend away games and expand attendances. Those first two factors are the definition of expansion accepted by Toronto when they joined the RFL, and say an average of 500 travelling Leigh fans will expand attendances here significantly.

So your incapable of debate if you cannot accept those three simple facts the first two accepted by Mr. Argyles club, facts that were accepted by Mr. Perez and later Mr. McDermott when he accepted that TWP would not be adding any quality North Americans to the player pool. (don't start being silly quoting Ngwati) nor adding any money to the TV deals....and whilst in SL not bringing any away fans- with attendances so far dispelling the stupid made up myth that TWP will attract a big following here..

Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of paying TV viewers for SKY....
Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of pro player development here....
Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of travelling fans expect 3,000 at Wigan

Whoever you are you adopt exactly the same pose most so called expansionists take that if some rich guy finds 17 players from Leigh, take them to Mali in Africa, and dress them up in Timbuktoo shirts then takes Wigan's Superleague place that is "Expansion" It's not, it's ridiculous as is the crazy idea of flying two teams out to Canada at great cost to pretend they play and watch RL in Canada in any number. Get back in yer beer tent.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17884
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 12:1128th Apr 24 09:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:45 am  
[quote="Donnyman"]

Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of paying TV viewers for SKY....
Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of pro player development here....
Leigh for Toronto will see Superleague expand it's M62 footprint in terms of travelling fans expect 3,000 at Wigan

/quote]

Once again, your "facts" aren't right.

A footprint is the overall size of the mark left when a foot touches the ground, therefore, Leigh would already be included as part of the "footprint" along the M62 corridor.
You are 100% right about travelling fans from Toronto to England, However, in terms of numbers watching the SL games, replacing Leigh for Toronto will reduce the overall number of fans watching SL.
As for Sky subscriptions, this could be interesting - firstly, how many Leigh fans currently have sky sports and pay to watch RL and how many fans of other clubs tune into watch Toronto games v Leigh fixtures. Right now, with Toronto being something shiny and new, I would suggest that more viewers are tuninig in to watch Toronto than there were watching Leigh when they were last in SL and although these numbers may well drop if Toronto remain "easybeats", I'm sure that Sky will be making more money from Toronto games than they are from all but the "big games"
However, the important issue is whether Sky are increasing their TV revenue (in terms of advertising) with the inclusion of Toronto and
do the wider public tune in to see Leigh on TV or Toronto ?

The big issue where we absolutely agree is regarding player development and it's imperative that Toronto or any other "expansion club" have a cast iron plan for player development and that they adhere to it.

It seems ridiculous that SL clubs have to have X number of home trained players but that there is nothing in place to ensure that any "new "clubs
fully commit to having any. Ultimately, without this, the game will die.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years219th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Key to Success is... : Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:55 am  
[quote="wrencat1873"]

[i]"A footprint is the overall size of the mark left when a foot touches the ground, therefore, Leigh would already be included as part of the "footprint" along the M62 corridor".[/i]

WRONG. I am talking about the footprint of PROFESSIONAL SUPERLEAGUE CLUBS IN ENGLAND. Leigh aren't that YET.

"You are 100% right about (no) travelling fans from Toronto to England"

Thank you.

"In terms of numbers watching the SL games (on TV), replacing Leigh for Toronto will reduce the overall number of fans watching SL"

WRONG I am talking about real fans who pay real subscriptions to SKY. Leigh fans will buy subscriptions with money - Toronto fans can't buy these subscriptions. Have you swallowed the ridiculous claims TWP made about 80,000 (or whatever it was) fans around the world following and watching them on social media

"Do the wider public tune in to see Leigh on TV or Toronto ?"

I'm sure Toronto attracted a big viewing bonus for SKY on the double header, I am sure fans are still fascinated by TWP despite them being rock bottom of the table. But you tell me how long people will be diving across the living room carpet to switch on SKY when TWP are on towards the end of this season? Failed novelties wear off quickly don't you agree?

But here is the bottom line. Superleague do not want Toronto. Danny Lockwood states this and states that SL rigged the fixtures so Toronto's first five matches were against last years top five SL clubs. He states the SL clubs didn't have to be so hardline on TWP's player shortage either.

You forget the RFL negotiated TV deal has a season and a half to run. After that Superleague will be taking over the whole deal and dictating the set up. Do you really really think Lenegan will be keeping Toronto in Superleague and leaving out Leigh? You could not be more wrong on that one, thanks for the reply

Toronto are dead men walking.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain973No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 20 09:319th Mar 20 19:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wire Quin at work

Re: The Key to Success is... : Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm  
[quote="Donnyman"]

Whats your take on London Broncos? They dont bring fans but from what i've read there is a high % of sky subscribers who reside in the south.
PreviousNext