u RLFANS.COM - Retirement

Post subject: Retirement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:26 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Tonight on BBC one in the Yorkshire region "Inside-Out" will cover (amongst other things) the topic of professional rugby league players leaving the sport without having an alternative career to fall back on. The 10 minute segment starts by following Kyle Bibb as he attempts to pawn his collection of horse brasses following the collapse of his plastic waste export business. Plus interviews with RFL player welfare officer Chris Polio and players agent Mike Creosote.

This on the back of reports in the Australian press that former Huddersfield and Wests prop John Skandalis has been forced to sell a kidney in order to cover the livery costs for his daughter's pony.

Should we as fans of the sport demand more from the RFL and clubs when it comes to this?

I know that some clubs do more than others but it's ultimately down to each one and they aren't all singing from the same hymn sheet. Wakefield, for example, go above and beyond. They effectively operate as a centre for excellence in electrical studies alongside being a super league club. As well as tuition from fully qualified electricians, players have access to soldiering irons before and after training for their own use. This isn't just morally correct but also makes them an attractive prospect to young players. Tom Johnstone being a case in point. He only took up the game with Stanningley with the long term aim to sign on at Wakefield and get his Btec.

Post subject: Re: Retirement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:35 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Pony more important than kidney suggests he needs help.
However, RL players should be intelligent enough to realise that a career is relatively short and if they need any sort of guidance it should be in the RFL’s remit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

reffy wrote:Pony more important than kidney suggests he needs help.
However, RL players should be intelligent enough to realise that a career is relatively short and if they need any sort of guidance it should be in the RFL’s remit.

It's something that the players, club's and sport as a whole should recognise and plan accordingly.
Some clubs and players do spend time working on life after RL but, in a sport where 15-20 years is the maximum time for any player and for many, it's nothing like this long, there has to be a plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:It's something that the players, club's and sport as a whole should recognise and plan accordingly.
Some clubs and players do spend time working on life after RL but, in a sport where 15-20 years is the maximum time for any player and for many, it's nothing like this long, there has to be a plan.

I agree there has to be a plan, but it is the responsibility of the individual to make it, not the employer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I think you've been had on the Skando kidney.

For the latest Giants News on Twitter first: Click Here Now!

FREE STUFF
We're Claret and Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:31 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Wadski wrote:I think you've been had on the Skando kidney.

Indeed, it is illegal to sell a human kidney in Aus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

IR80 wrote:Indeed, it is illegal to sell a human kidney in Aus.

It's not in China - there's a big market for human organs.

A very sad situation and I can't help but think clubs should be doing more.

If you compare it to football we are light years behind. Leeds United's academy have teachers and ensure that young players have a degree.

James Milner studied for a PHD in Geology before breaking into the first team. Now he splits his time between playing for Liverpool and the oil rig that he bought with Mo Salah.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:23 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:It's not in China - there's a big market for human organs.

A very sad situation and I can't help but think clubs should be doing more.

If you compare it to football we are light years behind. Leeds United's academy have teachers and ensure that young players have a degree.

James Milner studied for a PHD in Geology before breaking into the first team. Now he splits his time between playing for Liverpool and the oil rig that he bought with Mo Salah.

RL is not football, where have you heard that Milner and Salah own an Oil Rig? a new one on me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:05 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

IR80 wrote:RL is not football, where have you heard that Milner and Salah own an Oil Rig? a new one on me.

I know it’s not football. How many superleague players do you think there are that own an oil rig? I reckon it’s zero.

That said the principle is still the same. Take someone like Brian McDermott. Very clever man and had coaching not worked out for him he’d have been fine thanks to the glass blowing course he took when he was playing at Bradford.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:41 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:I know it’s not football. How many superleague players do you think there are that own an oil rig? I reckon it’s zero.

That said the principle is still the same. Take someone like Brian McDermott. Very clever man and had coaching not worked out for him he’d have been fine thanks to the glass blowing course he took when he was playing at Bradford.

I doubt very much Milner and Salah own an oil rig.

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:51 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com