OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 24 10:5225th Oct 23 08:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Cricket!
Recruiting now for the 2024 season.
if you are interested in getting involved as a player, supporter or sponsor, please get in touch.
https://headingleybramhopecricket.co.uk/

https://www.instagram.com/headingleybramhopecc/?hl=en

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 am  
exiledrhino wrote:
Seth, good point. Hate is hate and it's not good in any circumstance. It's also not limited to a certain phobia or people group, even though LGBT/people of colour have often been targets for hate.

I'd say there's no way of ranking one area of hate over another.

The difference here is that the views Folau espoused are more nuanced than the blanket term homophobia gives credit for. He's expressing views through a religious context, and has (as far as I know) not incited violence or aggression towards LGBT people.

He's from a conservative religious tongan culture, where the vast majority are likely to share his views. Do we have the right to demand that these people should share our more modern and secular view of the world?

Overall I think there is just a massive double standard of who we are/aren't allowed to be morally outraged at and who we aren't. Some players past actions are swept under the carpet (I seem to remember Ben Cockayne having a racist rant at a taxi driver), and no one seems to care.

Some years ago, Folau's comments would have probably been pretty damaging to LGBT people, but I don't think that's the world we live in anymore.

They are all good points, just on the last one though, All Black scrum half TJ Perenara said, and bearing in mind Folau said 'Hell awaits' gay people..

“I’d like to add my voice to the conversation currently taking place. As professional rugby players, whether we like it or not, we are role models for a lot of young people. Notably, young Maori and Pasifika people,” wrote the Hurricanes scrumhalf on Twiter. “You don’t need to look far to know that young Maori/PI are overrepresented in youth suicide statistics and, as I understand it, even more so when you look to those who are part of the Rainbow community. Comments that cause further harm cannot be tolerated.

“Let it go on record that I am 100 percent against the comments that were made by Israel. It was not ok to say that. It’s not an attitude I want to see in the game I love. There is no justification for such harmful comments.

“To anyone, young Maori/Pasifika people especially, who may be struggling with their identity – please know that it is ok to be you. You are perfect as you are. Do not let these comments keep you from being yourself. Polynesia has been sexually diverse since forever.”

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/blacks-t ... -backfire/
exiledrhino wrote:
Seth, good point. Hate is hate and it's not good in any circumstance. It's also not limited to a certain phobia or people group, even though LGBT/people of colour have often been targets for hate.

I'd say there's no way of ranking one area of hate over another.

The difference here is that the views Folau espoused are more nuanced than the blanket term homophobia gives credit for. He's expressing views through a religious context, and has (as far as I know) not incited violence or aggression towards LGBT people.

He's from a conservative religious tongan culture, where the vast majority are likely to share his views. Do we have the right to demand that these people should share our more modern and secular view of the world?

Overall I think there is just a massive double standard of who we are/aren't allowed to be morally outraged at and who we aren't. Some players past actions are swept under the carpet (I seem to remember Ben Cockayne having a racist rant at a taxi driver), and no one seems to care.

Some years ago, Folau's comments would have probably been pretty damaging to LGBT people, but I don't think that's the world we live in anymore.

They are all good points, just on the last one though, All Black scrum half TJ Perenara said, and bearing in mind Folau said 'Hell awaits' gay people..

“I’d like to add my voice to the conversation currently taking place. As professional rugby players, whether we like it or not, we are role models for a lot of young people. Notably, young Maori and Pasifika people,” wrote the Hurricanes scrumhalf on Twiter. “You don’t need to look far to know that young Maori/PI are overrepresented in youth suicide statistics and, as I understand it, even more so when you look to those who are part of the Rainbow community. Comments that cause further harm cannot be tolerated.

“Let it go on record that I am 100 percent against the comments that were made by Israel. It was not ok to say that. It’s not an attitude I want to see in the game I love. There is no justification for such harmful comments.

“To anyone, young Maori/Pasifika people especially, who may be struggling with their identity – please know that it is ok to be you. You are perfect as you are. Do not let these comments keep you from being yourself. Polynesia has been sexually diverse since forever.”

Last edited by flipper on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 20195 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 06:3611th Apr 24 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am  
Thanks for sharing flipper. I have nothing to add to that, other than the above is the most needed response rather than a ban for life which only gives the issue more attention.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 05 20159 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Oct 21 09:4318th Oct 21 12:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm  
flipper wrote:
They are all good points, just on the last one though, All Black scrum half AJ Perenara said, and bearing in mind Folau said 'Hell awaits' gay people..

Good post Flipper.
Personally, I’ve never been convinced by the RL players are role models for all the reasons and behaviour listed in this thread but A J sounds like a very sensible lad.
flipper wrote:
They are all good points, just on the last one though, All Black scrum half AJ Perenara said, and bearing in mind Folau said 'Hell awaits' gay people..

Good post Flipper.
Personally, I’ve never been convinced by the RL players are role models for all the reasons and behaviour listed in this thread but A J sounds like a very sensible lad.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9057
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200618 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 08:0620th Apr 24 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:22 pm  
The thing that worries me about Folau's comments is their target audience. Some very vulnerable people are drawn to religion and the attitudes of some churches to their "sins" has pushed some over the edge and caused deep distress to many more.

Should Catalans have signed him? Much depends upon the player. If he stops promoting these views then it could be argued a second chance was justified. My suspicion is that God will tell him to speak out once again, in which case it'll be an unmitigated disaster for both the club and the game. In other words, a gamble where only Catalans benefit if it comes off but everyone suffers if it doesn't.
RankPostsTeam
International Star971
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 21 201113 years221st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 10:4318th Apr 24 15:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:35 pm  
Whats his odds for Man of Steel?

Let's say he scores 40 tries and runs riot (not at all unlikely - hes one of the best players of either code, in the world - i'd say in the Top 3) then he could be Man of Steel
RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201212 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 09:2610th Jul 21 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 pm  
Lenaghan coming out and saying Wigan would have signed him if they could have fit him in speaks volumes and i suspect many SL clubs would have too; and as has been mentioned many times over these forums SL has made made it's bed where giving multiple chances to offenders is concerned.

Hopefully all we are talking about in the months to come is the Folau on the field because he is a superb player and in that regard adds much needed star quality to the competition. Lets see, if nothing else it's going to interesting.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6825
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:3919th Apr 24 21:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:41 pm  
If he has learnt his lesson and now keeps his mouth shut i would have been happy for him to play centre for us with Newman on the wing for a year and he can cover FB and no doubt SO if required.
RankPostsTeam
International Star706
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 201410 years191st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 08:1214th Apr 24 21:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Lifelong supporter, marching on together

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am  
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9291
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 08:4020th Apr 24 08:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 am  
:lol: :BOW:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2570
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 11 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Aug 23 21:1325th May 21 13:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[img]//www.rlfans.com/images/sigs/giantscorpio.gif[/img]

Re: Catalans sign Folau : Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:18 pm  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
Hoping Wigan do another class move and have a celebration of straight people too when we go over next season.

Wigan's moral compass seems to have changed at least. How about they parade victims of glass attacks at a game which they seemed to find acceptable a few years ago.

Thats before we mention Wigan signing of Zak and the behaviour of the charming Tomkins boys lol.

Yeah real classy Wigan.

Spot on sir.
We do get fed up with the rainbow warriors getting rammed down our throat constantly.
PreviousNext