u RLFANS.COM - News on the new television deal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - News on the new television deal

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace News on the new television deal

Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 am
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 am
Egg Chasing Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 145
Rep Position: 181st / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Watching Rugby League
Steph Curry wrote:
I would love the championship to secure its own TV deal. Whist the actual product on show is no where near the level of SL, some of the games last season were far more exciting.


That would mean the Championship clubs going out and doing something rather than moaning about anything and everything. Far too many clubs in RL are happy to just take the money from Sky and do nothing else. Those with ambition to grow themselves and the sport (and I don't include the likes of Toronto in that) will be rewarded for it, others won't.

FWIW - I do enjoy watching the Championship and miss the Premier Sports days
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 am
Posted by Cokey on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 am
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 989
Rep Position: 4th / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 8492
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Egg Chasing wrote:
That would mean the Championship clubs going out and doing something rather than moaning about anything and everything. Far too many clubs in RL are happy to just take the money from Sky and do nothing else. Those with ambition to grow themselves and the sport (and I don't include the likes of Toronto in that) will be rewarded for it, others won't.

FWIW - I do enjoy watching the Championship and miss the Premier Sports days


Very nice. How many SL clubs would suffer without their big chunk of Sly money?
FWIW, The Championship is a very competitive league despite the the cut in central funding. What's your problem?
Image
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38 am
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38 am
Egg Chasing Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 145
Rep Position: 181st / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Watching Rugby League
Cokey wrote:
Very nice. How many SL clubs would suffer without their big chunk of Sly money?
FWIW, The Championship is a very competitive league despite the the cut in central funding. What's your problem?


I enjoy watching the Championship yes, but as with some clubs in SL there are clubs in the Championship not interested in trying to improve or grow attendances and are just happy to take the sky money and move on.
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 am
Posted by Beverley red on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 am
Beverley red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 75
Rep Position: 244th / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 2425
Interesting views in this post? But are we all missing the elephant in the room? Everyone is assuming that SKY or some other broadcaster is willing to pay. I hope I am wrong but apart from the few thousand devotees of the game is there an interest out there? Union is struggling to make ends meet & they have a much bigger profile nationally/world wide. Even soccer below the premiership is in dire strights.
With the game being now fully professional only teams in large catchment ( big cities) areas can carry on. Even the Hull area is struggling with the local league even having a meeting to see if it is possible to run a competition this year. I am very worried that with a change at the top of SKY (Americans) that there is no appetite for league, add to that murmurings in politics against the involvement of gambling sponsorship in sports An interesting couple of years are in store for all sports not just league.
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:41 am
Posted by Cokey on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:41 am
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 989
Rep Position: 4th / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 8492
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Egg Chasing wrote:
I enjoy watching the Championship yes, but as with some clubs in SL there are clubs in the Championship not interested in trying to improve or grow attendances and are just happy to take the sky money and move on.


Ask Mr Lenagan if he would part with Wigan's Sky money? It's also noted that Wigan's crowds have dwindled lately. Where is the growth there?
Image
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:49 am
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:49 am
Egg Chasing Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 145
Rep Position: 181st / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Watching Rugby League
Beverley red wrote:
Interesting views in this post? But are we all missing the elephant in the room? Everyone is assuming that SKY or some other broadcaster is willing to pay. I hope I am wrong but apart from the few thousand devotees of the game is there an interest out there? Union is struggling to make ends meet & they have a much bigger profile nationally/world wide. Even soccer below the premiership is in dire strights.
With the game being now fully professional only teams in large catchment ( big cities) areas can carry on. Even the Hull area is struggling with the local league even having a meeting to see if it is possible to run a competition this year. I am very worried that with a change at the top of SKY (Americans) that there is no appetite for league, add to that murmurings in politics against the involvement of gambling sponsorship in sports An interesting couple of years are in store for all sports not just league.


There is a broadcaster and an online platform interested apparently
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 pm
Posted by Beverley red on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 pm
Beverley red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 75
Rep Position: 244th / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm
Posts: 2425
Egg Chasing wrote:
There is a broadcaster and an online platform interested apparently

I do hope you are correct but will they or the current deal pay what is paid now? & will the BBC want to pay after they are under enormous pressure to cut costs or go commercial? As much as I love this game I am not so sure the rest of the world actually give a toss!
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1256
Rep Position: 2nd / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 13775
Egg Chasing wrote:
I enjoy watching the Championship yes, but as with some clubs in SL there are clubs in the Championship not interested in trying to improve or grow attendances and are just happy to take the sky money and move on.


Really, I think this is a myth peddled by some fans of the "big 4" in SL.
Do you really think that any SL club or ANY business out in the big wide world, is not trying to grow their business ??

Most SL clubs NEED the Sky money to sustain their current business and even the stronger clubs in the comp would ned to re shape their business if they were suddenly to find themselves without the Sky cash.
However, to suggest that ANY club isn't trying to improve and grow their business is just plain daft :CRAZY: :CRAZY:
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:45 pm
Egg Chasing Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 145
Rep Position: 181st / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Watching Rugby League
wrencat1873 wrote:
Really, I think this is a myth peddled by some fans of the "big 4" in SL.
Do you really think that any SL club or ANY business out in the big wide world, is not trying to grow their business ??

Most SL clubs NEED the Sky money to sustain their current business and even the stronger clubs in the comp would ned to re shape their business if they were suddenly to find themselves without the Sky cash.
However, to suggest that ANY club isn't trying to improve and grow their business is just plain daft :CRAZY: :CRAZY:


Well several clubs vote against pretty much every idea to grow the game
Re: News on the new television deal
Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 927
Rep Position: 8th / 78,082

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 1840
wrencat1873 wrote:
Please do provide your list, it will make interesting reading for everyone.
I still maintain that IF the parachute payment for relegated clubs were to disappear and without ANY Sky monies, any relegated club would be in serious peril.

THE most important aspect here is that, calling the second tier of the comp Super League 2, just means that is The Championship by another name and it merely hides the fact that the top flight and funding would have been cut, which under any measure is contracting the professional game.

IIRC, last time the 2 x 10 was muted, there was to be decent funding for all 20 clubs, which probably isn't the case this time around but, we live in hope.
Maybe it will be Elstone's finest hour

Some managed to get into serious peril even with the parachute payment.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alffi_7, chapylad, childofthenorthern, JonnoTheGreat, Les Norton, Mild Rover, Noel Cleal, Nothus, poppys mum, Pumpetypump, roo67, Saxy, The Silent H, TheDreadnought and 122 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,039,9611,01478,0824,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
PENRITH
26-0
NZ WARRIORS
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
MELBOURNE STORM
22-8
SOUTHS
TOMORROW 08:30
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
MANLY
TOMORROW 10:35
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
CRONULLA
Sun 7th Jun 07:05
NRL
CANBERRA
v
NEWCASTLE
Sun 7th Jun 09:30
NRL
GOLD COAST
v
WESTS TIGERS
Mon 8th Jun 07:05
NRL
CANTERBURY
v
ST.GEORGE
Thu 11th Jun 10:50
NRL
MANLY
v
BRISBANE
Fri 12th Jun 09:00
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
NQL COWBOYS
Fri 12th Jun 10:55
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
PENRITH
Sat 13th Jun 06:00
NRL
SOUTHS
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 13th Jun 08:30
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
MELBOURNE STORM
Sat 13th Jun 10:35
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
CANBERRA
Sun 14th Jun 07:05
NRL
CANTERBURY
v
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Sun 14th Jun 09:30
NRL
ST.GEORGE
v
CRONULLA
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2