u RLFANS.COM - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Future of the Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am 
Stevo's Armpit

Folks, in these troubled times, we all need to take care of ourselves, our loved ones and our communities, but we all need to work out how our game can get through this for the good of millions in the RL family.

How can Rugby League ensure that we have an Elite Level at SL, a middle tier at Championship/Champ 1 level and also at community level in every small town and village up and down the country.

I have a suggestion for your comments and analysis. It is far from perfect, but put out their for consideration of fans and the leaders of OUR game. It takes into consideration that the game employs thousands of players, coaches, back room staff, coaches, admin staff etc. We MUST save our clubs and games.

Suggestion: Super League is cancelled for now (in any case), when it resumes, it should be a smaller competition of the clubs that can pay all of its staff at either full time of part time level. whilst commanding the largest crowds that we can. Clearly the bigger games will command bigger crowds. (Only when that is safe of course) Perhaps eight clubs could manage that in terms of the crowds they could command for those bigger games. Those clubs could loan out the players on the edge, to smaller clubs to ensure that those players continued to be paid at least some wages and can also find other forms in employment to help in the community. The game & RFL could then perhaps agree a percentage from those bigger games taking, to loan (or maybe grants) to the clubs that agree to drop down rather than going bust. Say 10%? This should last for two seasons, starting asap and of course be reviewed after a shorter first season.

The clubs that cannot afford to pay their full time salaries could go part time in a Championship/Championship 1 Divisions [/b] and those players/staff could then be free find other employment in the community whilst keeping the game going, as above. Many will need to find other employment in any case IF clubs cannot survive. Better than to have part time clubs than no clubs at all maybe?

It is clear that our RL communities are likely to suffer more than others elsewhere, a majority of our men work for themselves and many of our women in the public services. Whatever we can do to support them, whilst saving the game at every level, the better.

This post is meant for discussion to look at the bigger picture of the current times AND the bigger of how we save our game for the future. Yes there will be problems and arguments. There always has been sine 1890!!! Now is the time we influence our own game and lives, by working together to save the game.

We will NOT have a Sugar Daddy coming in saving any of our clubs or the game itself. Sky will not save us unless it is financially viable. The BIGGER games sell more. WE need to influence Leaders.

Submitted for sensible responses.

'Great defence, always wins games, y'only have to score one more point than them. If tha does, tha'll win, if that doesn't tha'll lose, learn from it, more than the win last week.'. Peter Fox, 1980.

Post subject: Re: Future of the Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm 
Strong-running second rower

The Aussie talking on Backchat really does show that the RFL are gonna have a huge financial hole to fill.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

So many holes in the op's post, that I really dont know where to start and your suggestion is so far from what is needed that it's utterly unworkable.

The best case scenario would be for the season to re-commence in a few months and if the season needs shortening , say, by removing the loop fixtures, then so be it.
We need to protect and help as many clubs as possible through this from the top of SL all the way down the RL pyramid - pyramid being the operative word.

Without all of those clubs at the bottom, there really is nothing at the top (despite how Toronto do things), which all starts with junior RL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Obviously all of the below is post Coronavirus

Personally I’d move to a licensed system. I just don’t think the sport is anywhere near strong enough to support P&R, I think the only sport that can is football and even then they struggle with some of the consequences of it.

I’d have a licensed 18 team league of:
Wigan
Leeds
Warrington
St Helens
Hull FC
Salford (rebranded as Manchester)
Castleford
Wakefield
Hull KR
London Broncos (rebranded as Ealing)
Toronto
Newcastle
Bradford
Toulouse
Sheffield
North Wales rebranded
South Wales rebranded
Catalans

Of those clubs, Salford (Manchester), London (Ealing), Toronto, Newcastle, Toulouse, North & South Wales would all be given salary cap dispensations and direct financial assistance from the league to help grow the sport in strategically important locations.

Each club would be given KPI’s to hit otherwise some central funding would be withheld. These would be around both youth production/junior participation and increasing club revenue alongside others.

The clubs would be encouraged to work together both inside SL and with their feeder clubs outside SL. There would be expectations placed on the SL club to provide significant support to their feeder club(s).

Clubs should share staff, resources, facilities and best practice. We need to start all pulling in the same direction. Clubs like Cas and Wakey should come together to ground share for instance. Fev, as Leeds feeder club, should be able to use Leeds facilities, coaches, medical staff and facilities etc

The RFL would negotiate on behalf of clubs en masse or directly provide support to clubs for things such as social media management, websites, content, physical and online shops, marketing etc.

With an 18 team league they would play 26 league games. Play each team once and then each team from the same half of the league a second time. 8 team playoff and the cup along with Magic Weekend would give a max of 37 games if a club were involved in both finals. Which I believe is similar to now however clubs would have bigger squads due to the feeder clubs.

I’d reintroduce the salary cap of so much % of a clubs income and scrap the finite cap. If a club can afford to spend more then I don’t think we should restrict them. However I’d also say loans do not count as part of a clubs income for that calculation. If a rich club owner wants to spend money on his club great. But not while crippling it’s future.
I’d also introduce fixed percentages of income that has to be spent on youth production, marketing and community/junior participation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 pm 

Him wrote:Obviously all of the below is post Coronavirus

Personally I’d move to a licensed system. I just don’t think the sport is anywhere near strong enough to support P&R, I think the only sport that can is football and even then they struggle with some of the consequences of it.

Wigan
Leeds
Warrington
St Helens
Hull FC
Castleford
Wakefield
Hull KR
Toronto
Newcastle
Bradford
Toulouse
Sheffield
North Wales rebranded
South Wales rebranded
Catalans

Of those clubs, Salford (Manchester), London (Ealing), Toronto, Newcastle, Toulouse, North & South Wales would all be given salary cap dispensations and direct financial assistance from the league to help grow the sport in strategically important locations.

Each club would be given KPI’s to hit otherwise some central funding would be withheld. These would be around both youth production/junior participation and increasing club revenue alongside others.

The clubs would be encouraged to work together both inside SL and with their feeder clubs outside SL. There would be expectations placed on the SL club to provide significant support to their feeder club(s).

Clubs should share staff, resources, facilities and best practice. We need to start all pulling in the same direction. Clubs like Cas and Wakey should come together to ground share for instance. Fev, as Leeds feeder club, should be able to use Leeds facilities, coaches, medical staff and facilities etc

The RFL would negotiate on behalf of clubs en masse or directly provide support to clubs for things such as social media management, websites, content, physical and online shops, marketing etc.

With an 18 team league they would play 26 league games. Play each team once and then each team from the same half of the league a second time. 8 team playoff and the cup along with Magic Weekend would give a max of 37 games if a club were involved in both finals. Which I believe is similar to now however clubs would have bigger squads due to the feeder clubs.

I’d reintroduce the salary cap of so much % of a clubs income and scrap the finite cap. If a club can afford to spend more then I don’t think we should restrict them. However I’d also say loans do not count as part of a clubs income for that calculation. If a rich club owner wants to spend money on his club great. But not while crippling it’s future.
I’d also introduce fixed percentages of income that has to be spent on youth production, marketing and community/junior participation.

Correct. Even Rugby Union which has P&R there are sides that will refuse promotion due to the costs involved once going to the top league.

Rugby league having P&R when the championship isn't even full time is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Id like to know how Toronto is a strategically important location. It is 8,000 miles away. There’s nothing strategic about it.

Profit over Lives - The Tory way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Whoopee here we go again :CRAZY:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

Him wrote:Obviously all of the below is post Coronavirus

Wigan
Leeds
Warrington
St Helens
Hull FC
Castleford
Wakefield
Hull KR
Toronto
Newcastle
Bradford
Toulouse
Sheffield
North Wales rebranded
South Wales rebranded
Catalans

crikey! this lockdown is affecting your brain...thats if you have one. :CRAZY: :CRAZY:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Willzay wrote:Id like to know how Toronto is a strategically important location. It is 8,000 miles away. There’s nothing strategic about it.

With that comment, you might want to add yourself to your troll hitlist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 am 
Stevo's Armpit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52051964

One of our brightest and best coaches, who KNOWS the financial ins and outs of the game, sees this as a time to 'reset' also.

BTW. Toronto is 3,450 miles away.

'Great defence, always wins games, y'only have to score one more point than them. If tha does, tha'll win, if that doesn't tha'll lose, learn from it, more than the win last week.'. Peter Fox, 1980.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next

It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 6:06 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com