WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New rule changes. What do you think

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace New rule changes. What do you think

New rule changes. What do you think Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am  

User avatarDurham Giant wrote:
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Back to 6 and no scrums

Loved it loved it loved it.

Speeds the game up , makes attack better. Less stoppages less penalties makes the game 10 x more interesting. In my view takes the game to the next level and could be as important for moving the game on as much as going to 13 players and getting rid of line outs . Makes it hard to play negatively and win. Under the old rules we ( Huddersfield )would have Won yesterday as on our last tackles we would have had 3 kicks to touch and wasted 3 to 4 minutes on scrums.

Hope the rules stay in place after the season ends.

Only downside is there will be some blow out scores before it settles down and we may end up with games with basketball type scores but lots more interesting to watch.
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 am  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I still think a regular penalty should be give for slowing down the ruck on the first tackle, but it definitely seemed to speed up the game.
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Durham Giant wrote:
Back to 6 and no scrums

Loved it loved it loved it.

Speeds the game up , makes attack better. Less stoppages less penalties makes the game 10 x more interesting. In my view takes the game to the next level and could be as important for moving the game on as much as going to 13 players and getting rid of line outs .

Only downside is there will be some blow out scores before it settles down and we may end up with games with basketball type scores but lots more interesting to watch.

I agree completely this is the future.

If we want to do something to really take the game forward this is it. RU had opened up and speeded up to be more entertaining, but we've moved ahead on this again.

As for blow out scores we are back to the salary cap being the leveller which has been spoiled by the marquee players thing.

So to take full advantage we need to work to rules and systems that level up the competing teams abilities, and especially concentrate rules and reffing such that we minimise head injuries. A faster,, more evenly contested and safer game would really take us forward......
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:26 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

On the whole the changes are all positive but, equally, there does need to be some breaks in the play.
The first couple of games were absolutely full on and although things slowed a little as the second halves progressed, especially for Huddersfield :wink, an occasional scrum wouldn't go a miss.
The "six to go" is a great rule and really punishes the offending side.
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm  

Angelus wrote:
Angelus Strong-running second rower

Theres new rule changes? Don't think i heard anyone mention this? :D

Too many people reading too much into the 6 to go rule. Dont infringe at the play the ball, you won't give away six more. And its about time something happened to stop teams deliberately giving away penalties just to take a break or set their line
Self-virtuous hypocrite
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 am  

Sainted wrote:
Sainted Stevo's Armpit

Great idea and in the most part, a distinct advantage to the attacking side. However...

Is there an option for the side receiving the additional 6 tackles to decline and instead take a penalty (to either kick for goal or to alleviate pressure if they have spent a considerable time in defence and they want a breather)?

There is also a small possibility of it being misused by conceding 6 again with just a few seconds remaining in a close game.
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am  

User avatarLeedsLurch wrote:
LeedsLurch User avatar

enjoyed the 6 again rule. Is the no scrums permanent or just a covid respite?
Loving the success and the silverware, keep them coming :)
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:13 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I didn't miss the scrums and wonder if it will be the end of them.
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:12 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

MorePlaymakersNeeded wrote:
I didn't miss the scrums and wonder if it will be the end of them.

I don't think they miss the Maul in Rugby Union, and their rucks are more like a play the ball nowadays.

I thought the lack of scrums (which are uncontested anyway) gave our game a fluency, I think your right to wonder if League will look to keep ahead of Union by scrapping scrums.

In the end if we succeed Union will only follow. Scrums in union are tedious and predictable, and damaging physically..

Take this "trend" all the way and I wonder if it will result in the end of two differing Rugby games and lead to one.

Wiganv.Bath in an actual competitive fixture in the same league set up in a few years?? I wouldn't say no...
Re: New rule changes. What do you think Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:49 am  

davids wrote:
davids Stevo's Armpit

LeedsLurch wrote:
enjoyed the 6 again rule. Is the no scrums permanent or just a covid respite?

Scrums are outlawed for the remainder of 2020.

One assumes it will be reviewed again for 2021.
Next