WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford forfeit game against Wire

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Salford forfeit game against Wire

Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:54 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Not postponed or covid related but, forfeited due to lack of fit players ??

A 24 - 0 victory for Wire

Has this EVER happened before and surely a fine or other punishment coming Salford's way ?
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm  

User avatarWanderer wrote:
Wanderer User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Wire will now play Huddersfield.
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm  

User avatarNoel Cleal wrote:
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:
Not postponed or covid related but, forfeited due to lack of fit players ??

A 24 - 0 victory for Wire

Has this EVER happened before and surely a fine or other punishment coming Salford's way ?

When you consider that Salford could have just loaned a team from Oldham or Rochdale it does seem quite bizarre.

I understand why Salford have done this from a player welfare perspective. However Ian Blease rubbed me the wrong way with his calls for a draft system. This incident has shown up how little player development Salford actually do.

Salford seem to be a microcosm of Society at present. Providing nothing then asking for an equal share because it is "fair" when in fact them getting nothing would be actually be "fair".

Given that, 2020 is messed up and Salford should not be punished for what are freak circumstances.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:53 pm  

wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Noel Cleal wrote:
When you consider that Salford could have just loaned a team from Oldham or Rochdale it does seem quite bizarre.

I understand why Salford have done this from a player welfare perspective. However Ian Blease rubbed me the wrong way with his calls for a draft system. This incident has shown up how little player development Salford actually do.

Salford seem to be a microcosm of Society at present. Providing nothing then asking for an equal share because it is "fair" when in fact them getting nothing would be actually be "fair".

Given that, 2020 is messed up and Salford should not be punished for what are freak circumstances.

I'm not sure if I agree with you.

Trinity and Cas, who seem to be among the worst affected with covid absentees, have played with heavily weakened sides, just to complete their fixtures and while covid is very much "out of a clubs control", injuries are part and parcel of the game.

If their squad was carrying injuries and was then further hit with multiple "covid omissions" then, I would agree with you but, it would appear that this isn't the case.

Wire get a "freebie" here, both in terms of league points but also, meaning that they have one less game to play, which gifts them an advantage over the other clubs chasing a play off spot and for this alone there has to be some penalty.
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm  

User avatarBudgiezilla wrote:
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Can clubs still bring players in on loan ?
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:09 pm  

Location: Heart and mind at Headingley, body anywhere else in the world

I think lack of the use of 'loan' players is more about maintaining bubbles (although some clubs don't appear to have been very good at this so far).
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm  
Ornery Optimist Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Noel Cleal wrote:

You expect part-time players who haven't trained to step up and play a Super League game?
Right.
No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 pm  

Steph Curry wrote:
Steph Curry Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

It’s just becoming laughable now. No wonder sky are cutting a quarter off the tv rights. Just let the big 3 of saints, Wigan and Leeds play a round robin tournament to decide who wins superleague. At least people will tune in and watch that
Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:30 am  

User avatarBig Ask wrote:
Big Ask User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: Doha, Qatar - Home of the 2022 World Cup and now relocated to the M62 corridor
It will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks whether this result has any influence on the playoffs

The situation is only going to get worse so the sooner we can wrap up the season the better before it deteriorates any further.

I’ve not seen anything about a potential start in 2021 which realistically could be as late as Easter.
Fat blokes in the mud, flat caps, bogs that drain pi55 directly onto your boots - Now it's all 'Big Ask', 'Arm Wrestle', 'Collision' 'Contact' 'Facials' 'Upper Body Strength' 'Big Units' 'Scooting from Dummy Half' 'Energy Levels' 'Laying the Platform' ‘Middles’ and 'T-R-Y'. Let’s not forget resilience.
Re: Salford forfeit game against Wire Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:36 am  

wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Steph Curry wrote:
It’s just becoming laughable now. No wonder sky are cutting a quarter off the tv rights. Just let the big 3 of saints, Wigan and Leeds play a round robin tournament to decide who wins superleague. At least people will tune in and watch that

It's certainly becoming difficult but, how on earth do you justify Leeds taking part ??
Might as well stick Bradford in there, just for old times sake.

The sport has to be good enough and clever enough to see the season out in some kind of reasonable order.

Next season could certainly start with just as many, if not more, difficulties.
Our clown government went from having some control over the virus, to losing it and we look way more likely to have another full lockdown that we ever do to having spectators back through the turnstiles, without which, every sport, apart from Premier League Football, is in serious jeopardy.
Next