FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Jon Wilkin agrees with what I have been saying for years
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2714
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 20195 years61st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 20:596th May 24 12:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Saddened wrote
There is always a place for Leigh, Wakefield, Salford, Fetherstone etc, but it's not in the top division of a professional competition.

The sports needs an elite competition filled with city based sides that can attract investment. The sport is good enough and appealing enough, but it hasn't got any forward thinkers. Elstone is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport, he is going to destroy it.

He doesn’t know that Wakefield is a City, and that Castleford is a town. He needs to attend school lessons in geography.
atomic 
RankPostsTeam
International Star6896
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 20159 years265th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 19:5522nd Feb 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Wilkin fulfilled his live ambition. Playing for Toronto. Now he thinks he has the answer as they did.
Been with Nobby too long.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 13 201014 years75th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:019th May 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Dunkirk Spirit wrote:
Saddened wrote
There is always a place for Leigh, Wakefield, Salford, Fetherstone etc, but it's not in the top division of a professional competition.

The sports needs an elite competition filled with city based sides that can attract investment. The sport is good enough and appealing enough, but it hasn't got any forward thinkers. Elstone is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport, he is going to destroy it.

He doesn’t know that Wakefield is a City, and that Castleford is a town. He needs to attend school lessons in geography.

And ironically Wigan and St Helens happen to be towns.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200222 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Saddened! wrote:
Wilkin is 100% correct. Like it or not Rugby League is dying in this country. It will be semi-professional by the end of the new TV deal and some of the clubs involved won't exist at that point. Covid will if anything accelerate that and we'll see clubs pulling out of the Championship and lower next season, if not Super League.

That will be fine to a lot of supporters, they won't care how low the bar goes, as long as their club isn't one of the ones that go.

The sport simply has to grow and attract investment if it is to survive as a professional sport. The salary cap and ridiculous system for entry into the sport is a huge barrier to that. They should be open to any investment at the moment. Toronto should be in, the fact finding dossier about them is clearly fraudulent. York, London, Toulouse, New York should be in and Ottawa should be in once they get going. Daft? Ridiculous? It's not, it's where the money is. There is always a place for Leigh, Wakefield, Salford, Fetherstone etc, but it's not in the top division of a professional competition.

The sport had a massive opportunity with the inception of Super League and the idea at that point was good. The cap was meant to increase year on year, minimum stadium requirements were meant to be followed through and licences given out to the best applicants. Yet here we are in 2020 with Cas and Wakefield playing from absolute dumps voting clubs out to get a slightly higher split of the reducing TV money. The same clubs who voted out Toronto were also against reserve grades and academies. There's no surprise Saints, Wigan and Leeds dominate the trophies, it's because they are the only clubs who always invested in their academy setups.

Get back under your bridge.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200222 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Who actually gives a 4ck what that clown Wilkin says,just unfortunate that SKY and the SL show give these cranks air time!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8675
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 00:029th May 24 16:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

Bartholemew Smythe wrote:
Who actually gives a 4ck what that clown Wilkin says,just unfortunate that SKY and the SL show give these cranks air time!

I know, they forgot to invite Garry Schofield on to last week's programme. :D
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Dunkirk Spirit wrote:

Not only is Wakefield a city, it now seems their own semi-rich owner has finally got the Yorkcourt and Newmarket companies to tip up after they reneged on the ground at Newmarket.

So a city club in which there is no soccer club to rival them, and no longer any RU club to rival them either, playing out of a much improved facility may well be looking at better and more competitive times..........What's not to like :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

But I suppose Wilkin thinks Ottawa is the future :roll:

Mr. Sadler won't let it go either, declaring yesterday that the new trade deal between Canada and Great Britain means that TWP's return should have been a no brainer.

I don't see how removing Tariffs from Snake Oil is gonna ignite Rugby league in Canada :lol: :lol: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Saddened! wrote:
Wilkin is 100% correct. Like it or not Rugby League is dying in this country.

Mate, it's apparently been "Dying" for 124 years :D

What really died was Canadian Rugby League, killed stone dead by the very man who revived it.

That man was not Perez, he failed to resurrect the twice dead Canada RL, the corpse of which he dug up in 2010 and ran to little effect before he ran into Argyle.

Those who insist the Canadian dream was becoming a reality tend to be people who invested far too much of themselves into that dream.

So much so they cannot bring themselves to admit they were so very very wrong..........
Snowy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7482
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 200420 years278th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 01:1511th May 24 01:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[quote="-VIKINGMAN-"]TBF he's a good lad Snowy.

A wind up merchant but a good lad.

:lol:[/quote]

[quote="-VIKINGMAN-"]That sig snowy is Ssooooooooooo old !!![/quote]

OOpps - nowt changes !!

[b]Widnes 8 Leigh 10 LOL!!!
Leigh 23 Widnes 16 LOL!!
Leigh 30 Widnes 16 LOL!!
Widnes 18 Leigh 38 Oh Dear !!
Leigh 54 Widnes 16 FFS!!!
Leigh 50 Widnes 18 We gave them 3 tries !!!
Widnes 18 Leigh 24 Still no points in the 2nd half!!
Good luck Widnes. See you in 2015 !![/b]

Maybe someone might realise that the infatuation with expansion is damaging the sport ?

RL needs consolidating, not expanding. All i saw last year was Toronto every week getting thumped because Sky are infatuated in global expansion of RL. Even without the pandemic, Super League last year was a complete turn off ! Boring ! All Toronto were were 17 Journeymen from the same pot on highly inflated wages because their primary clubs (SL or Championship), wouldn't pay them. Toronto was never going to work, and lets be frank, we should be glad that Catalans are steeped in History, otherwise they wouldn't work either. Catalans were never a risk in my opinion.

The percentage of expansion success in Rugby League is absolutely minimal. The lower leagues take a bow, because they are not chasing the holy grail or pricing themselves out to achieve SL status in an lightening fast time. Nothing has changed since Fulham in 1980. Promoted straight away, 10000 plus crowds, and a few years later, playing at Chiswick Polytechnic in front of 400. Same with PSG, same with Gateshead. Do I need to go on?

Now York is to some an expansion place for RL according to some and John Wilkin. What a load of tosh. Would be interesting to see what Nick Pinkney and Graham Steadman think of these announcements, but people on here are deluded. York is a lovely City, but expansion for RL? Give me a break !

SL is desperate and probably realise now that the root cause of all this is expansion. The golden ticket for Toronto has put them in this place and they now need a goat to sacrifice in 2021 as a result.

As for John Wilkin, he has had his fill, and he has had his final pay cheque. A good one too and he has contributed to Torontos demise. Super League in my opinion need away fans more than ever before. That extra 30k per visiting team means absolutely everything in todays commercial environment. Its probably the reason why the SL are having suicidal tenancies of inviting Bradford into the mix because its a big City. Big City or not, a season full of whallopings is not going to do them or SL any good so Bradford will be another Fulham in 1980. Odsal will be a ghost Town after 6 games or so, but I see where they are coming from with this, which tells me that they don't fancy Toulouse either.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 201311 years266th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 23 08:5718th Jun 23 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

John Wilkin, having a sly pop at clubs like Leigh, this despite him & St Helens having their collective ass handed to them at the LSV where ironically, Leigh *who according to Wilkin bring nothing to Super League* made John Wilkin look like a rabbit caught in the headlights !

I will take your opinion with a large dose of salt Mr Wilkin.

*Edit * This was in front of over 9 000 at Leigh LSV, the same LSV that has hosted RL internationals & multi Grammy winning, worldwide platinum selling artists *oh & they all paid to be there too* !!!
PreviousNext