RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Magic Weekend
Magic Weekend Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:07 pm  
MillennialRhino Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 pm
Posts: 51
A follow-up thread to the earlier one on loop fixtures: what are your thoughts on the value of magic weekend now that it has been running for quite a while?

Personally, I hate magic weekend being a part of the regular season, for the exact same reasons as I hate loop fixtures:
- Unfair and unequal for teams who are at both extremes of the table, where final points really matter
- Cheapens games if you play the same team 3-6 times per season
- Needless extension of the season, which could be replaced with more exciting alternatives that might be better for the game


Personally I would replace it with a challenge cup round alternative!! (all teams in a challenge cup round play on same weekend/same venue. Keeps the same vibe and excitment, but doesn't mess with the regular season fixtures.

Thoughts?

I only went to one once so I'm clearly not the key market, but I didn't think it was anywhere near as enjoyable as a night at headingly, other than it happened to be in a city I was in at the time.

Would things be any worse if it was swapped for another show-piece event? Whether that's a consistent annual international fixture, or a consistent annual regional fixture, or a challenge cup magic round alternative.
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:01 am  

User avatarCM Punk wrote:
CM Punk User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:36 pm
Posts: 7277
Location: The Midlands
I went to 2 of the Etihad ones, and had an enjoyable time, but as a Wigan fan I've always found we seem to be scheduled the most difficult opponent every year. We got to play Huddersfield for 1 year, but other than that we've only been drawn with St. Helens, Warrington or Leeds. I'd prefer the idea of a Challenge Cup Quarter Finals weekend, discounted tickets for season ticket holders at all the competing clubs and just pack the place out for something that'll look great on TV, ideally all games on the BBC.
Wigan RLFC
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:15 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
CM Punk wrote:
I went to 2 of the Etihad ones, and had an enjoyable time, but as a Wigan fan I've always found we seem to be scheduled the most difficult opponent every year. We got to play Huddersfield for 1 year, but other than that we've only been drawn with St. Helens, Warrington or Leeds. I'd prefer the idea of a Challenge Cup Quarter Finals weekend, discounted tickets for season ticket holders at all the competing clubs and just pack the place out for something that'll look great on TV, ideally all games on the BBC.

Magic Weekend is a Sky product, simple. It should be abandoned, nobody wants to go to Newcastle, if it remains it needs to move to Nottingham.
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 pm  

Mike1970 wrote:
Mike1970 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Posts: 317
WestEndThinker wrote:
Magic Weekend is a Sky product, simple. It should be abandoned, nobody wants to go to Newcastle, if it remains it needs to move to Nottingham.


Us, and all our friends, love Newcastle. It’s one of the highlights of our year.
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:15 pm  

dickie mint wrote:
dickie mint Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Notton
Mike1970 wrote:
Us, and all our friends, love Newcastle. It’s one of the highlights of our year.

West end tinker does not have any friends apart from the odd PM from steph curry, therefore cannot begin to understand your enjoyment of the experience of a magic weekend, he does though have other highlights which he looks forward to, his main one being antagonistic to posters on here.
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 pm  

Hangerman2 wrote:
Hangerman2 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 341
CM Punk wrote:
I went to 2 of the Etihad ones, and had an enjoyable time, but as a Wigan fan I've always found we seem to be scheduled the most difficult opponent every year. We got to play Huddersfield for 1 year, but other than that we've only been drawn with St. Helens, Warrington or Leeds. I'd prefer the idea of a Challenge Cup Quarter Finals weekend, discounted tickets for season ticket holders at all the competing clubs and just pack the place out for something that'll look great on TV, ideally all games on the BBC.


Huddersfield who have never lost at Magic Weekend, yea that was an easy draw :lol:
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:56 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
dickie mint wrote:
West end tinker does not have any friends apart from the odd PM from steph curry, therefore cannot begin to understand your enjoyment of the experience of a magic weekend, he does though have other highlights which he looks forward to, his main one being antagonistic to posters on here.

Ah, you claim to know me and my friends? Magic should be in Cardiff or somewhere else more interesting than Newcastle, Liverpool was a good idea. But keep the sledging coming, you are rubbish at insults.
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2890
Location: Watching Rugby League
I like Magic, but it needs to be held in a venue that provides for the fans. We got lucky that it never rained at The Etihad because there would have been nothing for fans.

Cardiff or Newcastle for me.

Fixture wise it's tough. As CM Punk says, Wigan always seem to get shafted with their fixture but other than a league game with top level fixtures I don't think we get the crowds.

CC QFs restrict the target audience to 8 sides (can't see the others going to watch) and some may even be Championship sides (all Championship QF in 2019) or the lesser supported sides.

A 7s or 9s comp like the Auckland 9s MAY bring fans in but not if sides start to rest their stars and play the kids. Midway through the season a side won't want to risk their best players for an exhibition and ruin their chances.

You could have it at the start, but then the only venue it can be at is Cardiff and we can't guarantee the same weekend due to the 6 nations.
Re: Magic Weekend Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:12 pm  

dickie mint wrote:
dickie mint Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Notton
WestEndThinker wrote:
Ah, you claim to know me and my friends? Magic should be in Cardiff or somewhere else more interesting than Newcastle, Liverpool was a good idea. But keep the sledging coming, you are rubbish at insults.

3 things wrong here son, first of all I never mentioned friends as it's quite obvious you have only one one acquaintance on here and that's debatable and I don't remember claiming to know you other than once hearing you sticking up for Ms. Curry bragging you were in constant contact with him/her through the PM system , secondly throwing insults about on here won't get you very far with the establishment, and finally to insult you would be such a waste of time as judging from your normal behaviour on here your not bright enough to recognise an insult anyway.
Re: Magic Weekend Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:14 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
dickie mint wrote:
3 things wrong here son, first of all I never mentioned friends as it's quite obvious you have only one one acquaintance on here and that's debatable and I don't remember claiming to know you other than once hearing you sticking up for Ms. Curry bragging you were in constant contact with him/her through the PM system , secondly throwing insults about on here won't get you very far with the establishment, and finally to insult you would be such a waste of time as judging from your normal behaviour on here your not bright enough to recognise an insult anyway.

you do understand the ironic fact you insulted me by saying i was too stupid to be insulted?

anyway, MM, scrap it, and not just for one season, the whole thing is garbage, get rid of Leigh, Wakefield and bring back franchising.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acko, Kevs Head and 142 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,188,6751,73078,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Thu 5th Aug
NRL
LIVE
Newcastle28-20Brisbane
Mon 2nd Aug
NRL RND: 20 Canterbury6-34Gold Coast
NRL RND: 20 Cronulla22-40Manly
SL RND: 17 Castleford16-34Huddersfield
SL RND: 17 Hull FC10-42St.Helens
SL RND: 17 Hull KR16-23Catalans
Sun 1st Aug
NRL RND: 20 St.George14-50Souths
NRL RND: 20 Newcastle34-24Canberra
NRL RND: 20 Melbourne37-10Penrith
CH RND: 15 Dewsbury18-22Swinton
CH RND: 15 Featherstone6-23Toulouse
CH RND: 15 Halifax24-21Bradford
CH RND: 15 Newcastle14-20Whitehaven
CH RND: 15 Oldham20-30LondonB
CH RND: 15 Widnes16-34Batley
L1 RND: 12 Doncaster24-46Hunslet
L1 RND: 12 Crusaders72-4West Wales
L1 RND: 12 Rochdale20-42Keighley
SL RND: 17 Wigan50-6Leigh
SL RND: 17 Leeds26-27Warrington
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 19 689 224 465 34
Penrith 19 521 228 293 32
Souths 19 613 382 231 32
Parramatta 19 484 295 189 26
Sydney 19 509 343 166 26
Manly 19 569 400 169 24
Gold Coast 19 460 484 -24 16
Cronulla 19 392 458 -66 16
 
Canberra 19 383 465 -82 16
St.George 19 382 464 -82 16
Newcastle 19 325 472 -147 16
NZ Warriors 19 373 502 -129 12
Wests 19 412 564 -152 12
NQL Cowboys 19 358 584 -226 12
Brisbane 19 331 578 -247 10
Canterbury 19 242 600 -358 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 17
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 16 482 262 220 30 183.97 93.75
St.Helens 13 328 106 222 22 309.43 84.62
Warrington 15 456 247 209 23 184.62 76.67
Wigan 17 305 295 10 22 103.39 64.71
Hull FC 14 308 279 29 15 110.39 53.57
Leeds 16 380 290 90 16 131.03 50
 
Hull KR 12 287 267 20 12 107.49 50
Castleford 15 267 388 -121 12 68.81 40
Huddersfield 16 278 334 -56 10 83.23 31.25
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 14 218 558 -340 0 39.07 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 10 456 94 362 20 485.11 100
Featherstone 14 579 189 390 24 306.35 92.86
Halifax 15 422 220 202 22 191.82 73.33
LondonB 14 404 357 47 17 113.17 67.86
Batley 15 404 302 102 20 133.77 66.67
Bradford 14 375 339 36 18 110.62 64.29
 
Whitehaven 15 297 410 -113 13 72.44 43.33
Widnes 14 323 378 -55 11 85.45 39.29
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Newcastle 14 298 420 -122 11 70.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 14 215 401 -186 9 53.62 32.14
Oldham 14 210 500 -290 4 42 14.29
Swinton 15 256 547 -291 2 46.80 6.67
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 11 382 162 220 19 235.80 86.36
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 11 348 251 97 15 138.65 68.18
Crusaders 11 350 322 28 12 108.70 54.55
Keighley 12 410 279 131 13 146.95 54.17
Hunslet 12 334 301 33 11 110.96 45.83
 
Coventry 11 258 264 -6 10 97.73 45.45
Rochdale 11 299 322 -23 10 92.86 45.45
LondonS 12 192 350 -158 7 54.86 29.17
West Wales 12 126 586 -460 0 21.50 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X