JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200222 years279th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Re: Magic Weekend : Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm  
atomic wrote:
All of them at the moment..

You knew full well what I meant in context to the poster saying that York would be ideal fro a "Magic weekend" but crack on!
ALAW 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain289
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 20176 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:5025th Mar 24 19:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:15 pm  
It would imo be madness to scrap it permanently. One of the big events of the year. Maybe take it down to London and have London play as the opening game. Wrt the fixtures I liked the idea of based on previous years place.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years204th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 am  
Mike1970 wrote:
I can totally understand the frustration with the way the fixtures are generated.

However, for us a large part of going to matches is the social aspect. We always have a fantastic weekend in Newcastle.

Although I’m massively in favour of expansion I firmly believe it should be done in small steps.

Places like Newcastle, York and Coventry should be given a good crack. So events like the Magic Weekend help to raise the profile of the sport in those areas.
This includes the fans. Every single place I’ve been to I’ve had a conversation with locals and they never fail to be astounded that rival fans can mingle without there being trouble.

Hi Mike, thanks for the interesting post, do post more :D

York would be a wonderful venue if the new stadium can cope, I don't know the capacity nor the current crowd interest in Magic, or the demand if York was used......

Not sure Coventry would be a pull, but if Coventry RL had a significant and serious ambition for Superleague then fair enough, but I can't see it when they are up against Wasps, albeit we took a major International there.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 21 17:432nd Mar 21 19:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm  
Financially how does magic weekend ever benefits clubs? Hugely discounted tickets so lower income compared to a standard ticket price which effectively reduces the revenue on top of significantly fewer overall fans even for games with no derby matches, not having the game on one of the teams home turf means zero concessions or private boxes/hospitality.
It continues to erode into the bigger games or traditional rival games with it being another loop fixture so a significant % of fans simply get switched off and don't attend by the third or fourth event. Suggestions of Cardiff ignore that for some teams/fans it's the same distance/time as travelling to Wembley, if it were more central in the country it would make it far easier for all fans but it simply should be stopped.
As should the additional fixture on the Easter Monday, this to my mind is a huge part of the player welfare that the RFL bang on about yet they ignore the very obvious in terms of protecting players and the entertainment itself from being diluted.

14 teams, 26 fixtures, league leaders as champions, no magic, no Easter Monday fixture, tighter control on salary cap plus maybe licencing reintroduced. Have a top 8 play off for a minor end of season competition if you like (first round and 'semi' at a single location), with teams required to have at least 9 of the XVII coming from the academy/rookie players with fewer than double digit first team appearances in all the rounds including the final.

This protects senior players and gives time slots for internationals without increased player fatigue for those that are more likely to be selected.
Last edited by 48756c6c20 524c4643 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16826No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 22:5926th Mar 24 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:27 am  
Typical Rugby legaue that people want to chop, change and move and event about every 5 minutes. Magic was working well at Newcastle, and I have no doubt it would have gone well again had it been held last year. Newcastle Thunder are growing nicely too and the publicity from Magic has helped with that.

The games biggest event is the Grand Final and a big reason why isn't they haven't altered the venue (last year excepted for obvious reasons) the time of year or the kickoff time. You have to let these events build.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:48 pm  
UllFC wrote:
Typical Rugby legaue that people want to chop, change and move and event about every 5 minutes. Magic was working well at Newcastle, and I have no doubt it would have gone well again had it been held last year. Newcastle Thunder are growing nicely too and the publicity from Magic has helped with that.

The games biggest event is the Grand Final and a big reason why isn't they haven't altered the venue (last year excepted for obvious reasons) the time of year or the kickoff time. You have to let these events build.

It's about reducing the number of games by removing them not chopping and changing, and it's not every 5 minutes, this is just not true is it?
The only thing that we can confirm regards 'magic' is that it has increased the cost to fans to watch a game but with no increased or worse lowered revenue for clubs, it also eats into attendances for the derby games and even the challenge cup.
Worse it puts more pressure on players as does the faux champions play off system, and that in turn makes it harder for the national team to compete in the late autumn internationals/world comps.

What hard evidence have you that magic has directly influenced Newcastle getting to where they are? It's a hell of a lot to lose to get another mediocre championship club that didn't actually earn promotion but were granted it by the RFL. Newcastle could have developed no worse without magic being located in Newcastle.

Having a n engineered event that actually does a lot of damage to all clubs/national team and has a detrimental effect on player welfare is not ever a good idea, it's plain insanity, but then it's typical in rugby league that some people think that running with an idea and sticking with it despite its continued failure is somehow going to magically start to make things better :CRAZY:
RankPostsTeam
International Star409
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201410 years222nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 22 21:4429th Apr 22 21:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:55 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
It's about reducing the number of games by removing them not chopping and changing, and it's not every 5 minutes, this is just not true is it?
The only thing that we can confirm regards 'magic' is that it has increased the cost to fans to watch a game but with no increased or worse lowered revenue for clubs, it also eats into attendances for the derby games and even the challenge cup.
Worse it puts more pressure on players as does the faux champions play off system, and that in turn makes it harder for the national team to compete in the late autumn internationals/world comps.

What hard evidence have you that magic has directly influenced Newcastle getting to where they are? It's a hell of a lot to lose to get another mediocre championship club that didn't actually earn promotion but were granted it by the RFL. Newcastle could have developed no worse without magic being located in Newcastle.

Having a n engineered event that actually does a lot of damage to all clubs/national team and has a detrimental effect on player welfare is not ever a good idea, it's plain insanity, but then it's typical in rugby league that some people think that running with an idea and sticking with it despite its continued failure is somehow going to magically start to make things better :CRAZY:

You ask for evidence that Newcastle have benefitted. Where is your evidence for all the negative points you make? And NO! Flat earth YouTube videos don’t count.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 pm  
Mike1970 wrote:
You ask for evidence that Newcastle have benefitted. Where is your evidence for all the negative points you make? And NO! Flat earth YouTube videos don’t count.

The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first.
Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.

Let's look though at how Gateshead had multiple times more fans attending home games than Newcastle post huge investment and consecutive 'magic' in Newcastle. They required no 'magic' weekend to garner interest in the club, did people just come off the streets to go see games or was there already an interest in attending.
Just because London has a team with well supported soccer teams and multiple rugby union teams it doesn't equate to big numbers attending even against the top sides.
Yes Gateshead declined, that was going to happen given the circumstances but there was latent interest there already, there's simply no evidence that redeveloping the club has been significantly aided by having the magic event.
*over 6000 for the St.Helens home game of 1999, even the London home game saw over 2,600, current average even including the big travelling support from Bradford for the pre MW is under 1000.

But what are your thoughts re the rest of the aspects of magic?

Do you disagree with my premise that the event draws significant sums away from clubs directly, that it has a direct effect on player welfare by adding this contrived game into the calendar, that it adds more costs to supporters such that this can dissuade from attending other primary events including the local rival games?
Do you disagree that having an extra weekend of a contrived fixture and the mini cup/play-off system adds even more pressure onto players, more fatigue/injuries and that is likely to directly affect how we go at national level?
RankPostsTeam
International Star409
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201410 years222nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 22 21:4429th Apr 22 21:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:56 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first.
Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.

Let's look though at how Gateshead had multiple times more fans attending home games than Newcastle post huge investment and consecutive 'magic' in Newcastle. They required no 'magic' weekend to garner interest in the club, did people just come off the streets to go see games or was there already an interest in attending.
Just because London has a team with well supported soccer teams and multiple rugby union teams it doesn't equate to big numbers attending even against the top sides.
Yes Gateshead declined, that was going to happen given the circumstances but there was latent interest there already, there's simply no evidence that redeveloping the club has been significantly aided by having the magic event.
*over 6000 for the St.Helens home game of 1999, even the London home game saw over 2,600, current average even including the big travelling support from Bradford for the pre MW is under 1000.

But what are your thoughts re the rest of the aspects of magic?

Do you disagree with my premise that the event draws significant sums away from clubs directly, that it has a direct effect on player welfare by adding this contrived game into the calendar, that it adds more costs to supporters such that this can dissuade from attending other primary events including the local rival games?
Do you disagree that having an extra weekend of a contrived fixture and the mini cup/play-off system adds even more pressure onto players, more fatigue/injuries and that is likely to directly affect how we go at national level?

No!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4198No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 21:4724th Mar 24 20:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:03 pm  
Going to any game at the moment would make it a magic weekend for me!
PreviousNext