Nov 16 20194 years200th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:29 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first. Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.

We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 21 17:432nd Mar 21 19:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
Donnyman wrote:
We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D

Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
Mike1970 wrote:
No!

As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player381No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Apr 21 07:486th Apr 21 15:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:05 am  
As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.

and to add weight to your views,what has Magic achieved, other than for a bunch of RLfans to boost the local economy with no real connection to the game, get vexed and Sky can put multiple games on.

scrap it, move th CC Final back to Cardiff, London isn't the grand day out it was in the 70's, it's more expensive for a weekend in London than a week in Lanzarote.

The whole game needs to stop thinking it is On The Buses or a Carry On film.

When I was a kid growing up in Hull going to Leeds was an adventure, now (well, pre covid) I'd go there for lunch and be back home by 5.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years200th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am  
Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.

You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player381No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:20 am  
Donnyman wrote:
You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.

Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 20204 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 pm  
WestEndThinker wrote:
Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.

I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player381No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 pm  
I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.

rubbish, SL players are just lazy, one game in a week?

you're a snowflake bumpy
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years200th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:51 am  

We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player381No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 20204 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 am  
Donnyman wrote:
We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??

For once I agree with you, Origin is the big thing in Aus, we tried it (half arsed and half hearted) with both Yorks v Lans and The Exiles, they don't work. Until everyone over the age of 50 is booted out of the RFL blazer squad RL in the UK will continue in decline.
PreviousNext