RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Magic Weekend
Re: Magic Weekend Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm  
Bartholemew Smythe User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:15 pm
Posts: 12947
Location: Somewhere
atomic wrote:
All of them at the moment..

You knew full well what I meant in context to the poster saying that York would be ideal fro a "Magic weekend" but crack on!
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
Re: Magic Weekend Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:15 pm  

ALAW wrote:
ALAW Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 am
Posts: 223
It would imo be madness to scrap it permanently. One of the big events of the year. Maybe take it down to London and have London play as the opening game. Wrt the fixtures I liked the idea of based on previous years place.
Re: Magic Weekend Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2341
Mike1970 wrote:
I can totally understand the frustration with the way the fixtures are generated.

However, for us a large part of going to matches is the social aspect. We always have a fantastic weekend in Newcastle.

Although I’m massively in favour of expansion I firmly believe it should be done in small steps.

Places like Newcastle, York and Coventry should be given a good crack. So events like the Magic Weekend help to raise the profile of the sport in those areas.
This includes the fans. Every single place I’ve been to I’ve had a conversation with locals and they never fail to be astounded that rival fans can mingle without there being trouble.


Hi Mike, thanks for the interesting post, do post more :D

York would be a wonderful venue if the new stadium can cope, I don't know the capacity nor the current crowd interest in Magic, or the demand if York was used......

Not sure Coventry would be a pull, but if Coventry RL had a significant and serious ambition for Superleague then fair enough, but I can't see it when they are up against Wasps, albeit we took a major International there.
Re: Magic Weekend Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Financially how does magic weekend ever benefits clubs? Hugely discounted tickets so lower income compared to a standard ticket price which effectively reduces the revenue on top of significantly fewer overall fans even for games with no derby matches, not having the game on one of the teams home turf means zero concessions or private boxes/hospitality.
It continues to erode into the bigger games or traditional rival games with it being another loop fixture so a significant % of fans simply get switched off and don't attend by the third or fourth event. Suggestions of Cardiff ignore that for some teams/fans it's the same distance/time as travelling to Wembley, if it were more central in the country it would make it far easier for all fans but it simply should be stopped.
As should the additional fixture on the Easter Monday, this to my mind is a huge part of the player welfare that the RFL bang on about yet they ignore the very obvious in terms of protecting players and the entertainment itself from being diluted.

14 teams, 26 fixtures, league leaders as champions, no magic, no Easter Monday fixture, tighter control on salary cap plus maybe licencing reintroduced. Have a top 8 play off for a minor end of season competition if you like (first round and 'semi' at a single location), with teams required to have at least 9 of the XVII coming from the academy/rookie players with fewer than double digit first team appearances in all the rounds including the final.

This protects senior players and gives time slots for internationals without increased player fatigue for those that are more likely to be selected.
Last edited by 48756c6c20 524c4643 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:27 am  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15708
Typical Rugby legaue that people want to chop, change and move and event about every 5 minutes. Magic was working well at Newcastle, and I have no doubt it would have gone well again had it been held last year. Newcastle Thunder are growing nicely too and the publicity from Magic has helped with that.

The games biggest event is the Grand Final and a big reason why isn't they haven't altered the venue (last year excepted for obvious reasons) the time of year or the kickoff time. You have to let these events build.
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:48 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
UllFC wrote:
Typical Rugby legaue that people want to chop, change and move and event about every 5 minutes. Magic was working well at Newcastle, and I have no doubt it would have gone well again had it been held last year. Newcastle Thunder are growing nicely too and the publicity from Magic has helped with that.

The games biggest event is the Grand Final and a big reason why isn't they haven't altered the venue (last year excepted for obvious reasons) the time of year or the kickoff time. You have to let these events build.


It's about reducing the number of games by removing them not chopping and changing, and it's not every 5 minutes, this is just not true is it?
The only thing that we can confirm regards 'magic' is that it has increased the cost to fans to watch a game but with no increased or worse lowered revenue for clubs, it also eats into attendances for the derby games and even the challenge cup.
Worse it puts more pressure on players as does the faux champions play off system, and that in turn makes it harder for the national team to compete in the late autumn internationals/world comps.

What hard evidence have you that magic has directly influenced Newcastle getting to where they are? It's a hell of a lot to lose to get another mediocre championship club that didn't actually earn promotion but were granted it by the RFL. Newcastle could have developed no worse without magic being located in Newcastle.

Having a n engineered event that actually does a lot of damage to all clubs/national team and has a detrimental effect on player welfare is not ever a good idea, it's plain insanity, but then it's typical in rugby league that some people think that running with an idea and sticking with it despite its continued failure is somehow going to magically start to make things better :CRAZY:
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:55 pm  

Mike1970 wrote:
Mike1970 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Posts: 322
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
It's about reducing the number of games by removing them not chopping and changing, and it's not every 5 minutes, this is just not true is it?
The only thing that we can confirm regards 'magic' is that it has increased the cost to fans to watch a game but with no increased or worse lowered revenue for clubs, it also eats into attendances for the derby games and even the challenge cup.
Worse it puts more pressure on players as does the faux champions play off system, and that in turn makes it harder for the national team to compete in the late autumn internationals/world comps.

What hard evidence have you that magic has directly influenced Newcastle getting to where they are? It's a hell of a lot to lose to get another mediocre championship club that didn't actually earn promotion but were granted it by the RFL. Newcastle could have developed no worse without magic being located in Newcastle.

Having a n engineered event that actually does a lot of damage to all clubs/national team and has a detrimental effect on player welfare is not ever a good idea, it's plain insanity, but then it's typical in rugby league that some people think that running with an idea and sticking with it despite its continued failure is somehow going to magically start to make things better :CRAZY:


You ask for evidence that Newcastle have benefitted. Where is your evidence for all the negative points you make? And NO! Flat earth YouTube videos don’t count.
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Mike1970 wrote:
You ask for evidence that Newcastle have benefitted. Where is your evidence for all the negative points you make? And NO! Flat earth YouTube videos don’t count.

The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first.
Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.

Let's look though at how Gateshead had multiple times more fans attending home games than Newcastle post huge investment and consecutive 'magic' in Newcastle. They required no 'magic' weekend to garner interest in the club, did people just come off the streets to go see games or was there already an interest in attending.
Just because London has a team with well supported soccer teams and multiple rugby union teams it doesn't equate to big numbers attending even against the top sides.
Yes Gateshead declined, that was going to happen given the circumstances but there was latent interest there already, there's simply no evidence that redeveloping the club has been significantly aided by having the magic event.
*over 6000 for the St.Helens home game of 1999, even the London home game saw over 2,600, current average even including the big travelling support from Bradford for the pre MW is under 1000.

But what are your thoughts re the rest of the aspects of magic?

Do you disagree with my premise that the event draws significant sums away from clubs directly, that it has a direct effect on player welfare by adding this contrived game into the calendar, that it adds more costs to supporters such that this can dissuade from attending other primary events including the local rival games?
Do you disagree that having an extra weekend of a contrived fixture and the mini cup/play-off system adds even more pressure onto players, more fatigue/injuries and that is likely to directly affect how we go at national level?
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:56 pm  

Mike1970 wrote:
Mike1970 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Posts: 322
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first.
Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.

Let's look though at how Gateshead had multiple times more fans attending home games than Newcastle post huge investment and consecutive 'magic' in Newcastle. They required no 'magic' weekend to garner interest in the club, did people just come off the streets to go see games or was there already an interest in attending.
Just because London has a team with well supported soccer teams and multiple rugby union teams it doesn't equate to big numbers attending even against the top sides.
Yes Gateshead declined, that was going to happen given the circumstances but there was latent interest there already, there's simply no evidence that redeveloping the club has been significantly aided by having the magic event.
*over 6000 for the St.Helens home game of 1999, even the London home game saw over 2,600, current average even including the big travelling support from Bradford for the pre MW is under 1000.

But what are your thoughts re the rest of the aspects of magic?

Do you disagree with my premise that the event draws significant sums away from clubs directly, that it has a direct effect on player welfare by adding this contrived game into the calendar, that it adds more costs to supporters such that this can dissuade from attending other primary events including the local rival games?
Do you disagree that having an extra weekend of a contrived fixture and the mini cup/play-off system adds even more pressure onto players, more fatigue/injuries and that is likely to directly affect how we go at national level?


No!
Re: Magic Weekend Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:03 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2975
Going to any game at the moment would make it a magic weekend for me!
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Khlav Kalash and 128 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 26th Sep
L1 RND: 23 Workington18-16Keighley
L1 RND: 23 Crusaders34-48Doncaster
WSL RND: 17 St.HelensW58-0CastlefordW
WSL RND: 17 LeedsW22-18YorkW
WSL RND: 17 FeatherstoneW30-12BradfordW
WSL RND: 17 Hudds W30-26Wire W
Sat 25th Sep
NRL RND: 28 Melbourne6-10Penrith
CH RND: 23 Batley22-10Bradford
CH RND: 23 Halifax24-20Whitehaven
Fri 24th Sep
SL RND: 26 Warrington0-19Hull KR
NRL RND: 28 Souths36-16Manly
Thu 23rd Sep
SL RND: 26 Wigan0-8Leeds
Sun 19th Sep
SL RND: 25 Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH RND: 22 Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH RND: 22 Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH RND: 22 Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH RND: 22 Halifax10-12Batley
CH RND: 22 Swinton16-26Widnes
CH RND: 22 York30-22LondonB
L1 RND: 22 Doncaster31-10Hunslet
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::