RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Magic Weekend
Re: Magic Weekend Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:29 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2208
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first. Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.



We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D
Re: Magic Weekend Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Donnyman wrote:
We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D

Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.
Re: Magic Weekend Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Mike1970 wrote:
No!

As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.
Re: Magic Weekend Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:05 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.

and to add weight to your views,what has Magic achieved, other than for a bunch of RLfans to boost the local economy with no real connection to the game, get vexed and Sky can put multiple games on.

scrap it, move th CC Final back to Cardiff, London isn't the grand day out it was in the 70's, it's more expensive for a weekend in London than a week in Lanzarote.

The whole game needs to stop thinking it is On The Buses or a Carry On film.

When I was a kid growing up in Hull going to Leeds was an adventure, now (well, pre covid) I'd go there for lunch and be back home by 5.
Re: Magic Weekend Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2208
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.


You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:20 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Donnyman wrote:
You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.

Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
WestEndThinker wrote:
Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.

I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.

rubbish, SL players are just lazy, one game in a week?

you're a snowflake bumpy
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:51 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2208
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.


We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Donnyman wrote:
We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??

For once I agree with you, Origin is the big thing in Aus, we tried it (half arsed and half hearted) with both Yorks v Lans and The Exiles, they don't work. Until everyone over the age of 50 is booted out of the RFL blazer squad RL in the UK will continue in decline.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BumpyMcbump, Google Adsense [Bot], le penguin, LyndsayGill, Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza, Mild Rover, puroresu_boy, TF and the wire, The Silent H, wrencat1873 and 149 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,183,2791,60378,6699,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 24th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Souths60-22NZ Warriors
Fri 23rd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Sydney28-8Newcastle
NRL RND: 19 NQL Cowboys16-20Melbourne
SL RND: 15 Leeds38-16Salford
SLRND: 15 Wigan25-12Wakefield
Thu 22nd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Parramatta10-12Canberra
SL RND: 15 Huddersfield40-26Hull FC
Mon 19th Jul
WSL RND: 11 WiganW4-12YorkW
Sun 18th Jul
NRL RND: 18 NZ Warriors16-30Penrith
NRL RND: 18 Brisbane24-42Wests
NRL RND: 18 Souths32-24Canterbury
WSL RND: 9 BradfordW42-12FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 9 LeedsW24-0Hudds W
WSL RND: 9 St.HelensW24-0WakefieldW
WSL RND: 9 Wire W12-48CastlefordW
Sat 17th Jul
NRL RND: 18 Canberra34-18Cronulla
NRL RND: 18 NQL Cowboys18-34Sydney
NRL RND: 18 Melbourne48-4Newcastle
CC RND: 6 St.Helens26-12Castleford
1895 RND: 2 Featherstone41-34York
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 18
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 17 632 198 434 30
Penrith 17 493 179 314 30
Souths 17 503 346 157 28
Parramatta 17 474 255 219 26
Sydney 17 453 335 118 22
Manly 17 485 354 131 20
St.George 17 358 382 -24 16
Cronulla 17 326 394 -68 14
 
Canberra 17 347 421 -74 14
Newcastle 17 283 420 -137 14
Gold Coast 17 394 468 -74 12
Wests 17 372 502 -130 12
NQL Cowboys 17 324 527 -203 12
NZ Warriors 17 333 426 -93 10
Brisbane 17 282 542 -260 8
Canterbury 17 212 522 -310 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 15
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 13 387 196 191 24 197.45 92.31
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 13 408 213 195 19 191.55 73.08
Wigan 15 247 268 -21 20 92.16 66.67
Hull FC 12 286 215 71 15 133.02 62.50
Hull KR 10 241 212 29 12 113.68 60
 
Leeds 14 332 251 81 14 132.27 50
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 15 259 354 -95 8 73.16 26.67
Leigh 13 212 508 -296 0 41.73 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 9 433 88 345 18 492.05 100
Featherstone 12 537 136 401 24 394.85 100
Bradford 12 324 279 45 18 116.13 75
Halifax 13 358 171 187 18 209.36 69.23
LondonB 13 374 337 37 17 110.98 65.38
Batley 13 328 274 54 16 119.71 61.54
 
Newcastle 12 272 358 -86 11 75.98 45.83
Widnes 13 307 344 -37 11 89.24 42.31
Sheffield 13 285 373 -88 11 76.41 42.31
Whitehaven 13 249 372 -123 9 66.94 34.62
Dewsbury 13 197 379 -182 9 51.98 34.62
York 13 299 317 -18 8 94.32 30.77
Oldham 12 166 442 -276 4 37.56 16.67
Swinton 13 224 483 -259 0 46.38 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 10 342 150 192 17 228 85
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 9 308 189 119 14 162.96 77.78
Keighley 10 348 239 109 10 145.61 50
Rochdale 10 279 280 -1 10 99.64 50
Crusaders 10 278 318 -40 10 87.42 50
 
Coventry 8 204 240 -36 8 85 50
Hunslet 10 268 257 11 8 104.28 40
LondonS 8 154 292 -138 2 52.74 12.50
West Wales 10 122 514 -392 0 23.74 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X