RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Magic Weekend
Re: Magic Weekend Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:29 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2035
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

The initial point was made that we have 'newcastle' (thunder) due to magic weekend being in Newcastle, I asked for evidence of that claim, you go first. Even if there were any hard evidence there is no cost justification whatsoever for holding the event, Newcastle is never going to be a hotbed of rugby, it's just another small outpost and always will be.



We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D
Re: Magic Weekend Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Donnyman wrote:
We have Newcastle Thunder because Shane Richardson threw loads of money at it years ago.

When he left enthusiasts didn't let it go and now we have a multi-Millionaire at the helm.

To me Superleague is about rich owners throwing lots of money away on Rugby League

So "hot bed of RL" "small outpost" maybe, but the rich owner is the whole point here................................

If only we could stop rich owners picking their own clubs and allocate them clubs. I'd allocate Kurdi to Bradford Bulls :D :D :D

Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.
Re: Magic Weekend Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
Mike1970 wrote:
No!

As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.
Re: Magic Weekend Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:05 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
As I thought, you've got absolutely squat to back up what you say.

and to add weight to your views,what has Magic achieved, other than for a bunch of RLfans to boost the local economy with no real connection to the game, get vexed and Sky can put multiple games on.

scrap it, move th CC Final back to Cardiff, London isn't the grand day out it was in the 70's, it's more expensive for a weekend in London than a week in Lanzarote.

The whole game needs to stop thinking it is On The Buses or a Carry On film.

When I was a kid growing up in Hull going to Leeds was an adventure, now (well, pre covid) I'd go there for lunch and be back home by 5.
Re: Magic Weekend Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2035
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
Do you think magic weekend has made any significant difference to Newcastle as to where they are now, I think I prove that there is no evidence that it has, they would have got to where they are without magic.


You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:20 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Donnyman wrote:
You may be right because they got to some very decent crowds indeed years ago when they had a season in Superleague. There was no Magic then.....

I have no doubt some of their current smaller crowds go enjoy Magic, but Magic isn't a vehicle for building up local clubs. There's no real record of that

I recall a criticism of it being in Wales where a few hundred at most Welsh people dropped in but the local Welsh RL scene didn't change.

I remember when a Millionaire set up Celtic Crusaders and probably 5,000 welsh fans attended the first game.

That's the evidence that shows growth is only really possible with heavy investment, and prolonged heavy investment at that.

Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Posts: 238
WestEndThinker wrote:
Congratulations, the first post from you where you haven't mentioned France or North America.

Wales is RU territory, but I'd rather go to Cardiff than Newcastle.

I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.
Re: Magic Weekend Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:
I'd rather we scrapped it for the reasons I mentioned upthread, it has so many negatives that the sports leaders ignore and seemingly some of the people that run/own the clubs. Player welfare is everything, but the demand for more games to generate more income is not only in direct conflict to that which everyone should be concerned about, but damages income and the entertainment because of this greater demand.
We see all too often how the CC and play off games are affected attendance wise, large swathes of fans are not interested in these now 'minor' games, there's nowhere near the importance on them, not even the semi final or final are a real draw and it's not because of the final being in London.

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.

rubbish, SL players are just lazy, one game in a week?

you're a snowflake bumpy
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:51 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2035
48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

The fact we have a system to decree champions with a mini tournament is in itself also having a detrimental affect never mind the playing of loop games including traditional derby games. On top of that this all adds up to the national team either missing the better players due to injuries or overly fatigued, yes that can apply for a host of reasons, the sport is brutal, but clubs pound the players week in week out more often than not, jabbed up, coerced to play through and then expect them to turn it on against national sides that are made up from the best league in the world whom play far fewer games.

If we don't have a successful national team then interest dwindles in the games, there's no wider national interest and thus sponsorship/money dwindles, rinse and repeat until you have a real problem throughout the sport incl at grass roots.


We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??
Re: Magic Weekend Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:01 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Donnyman wrote:
We don't have a successful national team, and we don't play Australia and NZ much nowadays. They don't seem interested. Can't see how reducing games to keep the International players fresh for games that don't happen much is any sort of a plan..

I assume the business plan is maximise gate revenue hence the number of games and I don't like that plan either. I certainly agree with less games but that put's us into less revenue. Does that put us into lower wages for players? It's a balance and I would guess if you cut games there would be detrimental effects and Australia would still not be interested.

Do you conversely think the Australian National team is a massive driver for interest in RL in Australia??

Surely Origin is that driver now??

For once I agree with you, Origin is the big thing in Aus, we tried it (half arsed and half hearted) with both Yorks v Lans and The Exiles, they don't work. Until everyone over the age of 50 is booted out of the RFL blazer squad RL in the UK will continue in decline.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alffi_7, Egg Chasing, scarrie and 131 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,155,1061,53778,5824,559LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 16th May
CH RND: 6 Whitehaven0-66Toulouse
CH RND: 6 Widnes14-35York
NRL RND: 10 NZ Warriors18-34Parramatta
NRL RND: 10 Melbourne44-18St.George
NRL RND: 10 Gold Coast12-48Penrith
WSL RND: 3 WakefieldW6-74LeedsW
WSL RND: 3 Wire W6-54St.HelensW
WSL RND: 3 BradfordW20-28Hudds W
WSL RND: 3 FeatherstoneW14-42YorkW
L1 RND: 2 Workington50-16LondonS
L1 RND: 2 Barrow40-18Keighley
L1 RND: 2 Doncaster30-22Rochdale
Sat 15th May
CH RND: 6 Batley6-40LondonB
NRL RND: 10 Canterbury18-20Canberra
NRL RND: 10 Cronulla22-32Souths
NRL RND: 10 Sydney30-16NQL Cowboys
L1 RND: 2 Crusaders18-26Hunslet
L1 RND: 2 West Wales10-36Coventry
Fri 14th May
SLRND: 6 Leeds15-13Wakefield
NRL RND: 10 Wests36-18Newcastle
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Penrith 10 308 72 236 20
Parramatta 10 294 142 152 18
Melbourne 10 336 126 210 16
Souths 10 267 196 71 16
Sydney 10 284 139 145 14
St.George 10 211 213 -2 10
 
Manly 10 227 240 -13 10
Canberra 10 193 227 -34 8
Gold Coast 10 230 267 -37 8
NZ Warriors 10 207 250 -43 8
Newcastle 10 179 256 -77 8
NQL Cowboys 10 181 285 -104 8
Wests 10 194 280 -86 6
Cronulla 10 174 258 -84 4
Brisbane 10 146 290 -144 4
Canterbury 10 110 300 -190 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.Helens 5 128 34 94 10 376.47 100
Wigan 5 111 56 55 10 198.21 100
Castleford 5 131 78 53 8 167.95 80
Catalans 5 137 86 51 8 159.30 80
Hull FC 5 105 58 47 7 181.03 70
Warrington 5 144 81 63 7 177.78 70
 
Hull KR 5 105 134 -29 4 78.36 40
Leeds 6 78 112 -34 4 69.64 33.33
Huddersfield 5 68 98 -30 2 69.39 20
Salford 5 68 142 -74 2 47.89 20
Wakefield 6 79 169 -90 0 46.75 0
Leigh 5 66 172 -106 0 38.37 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 5 225 40 185 10 562.50 100
Featherstone 4 128 50 78 8 256 100
Bradford 5 127 134 -7 8 94.78 80
Batley 6 178 128 50 8 139.06 66.67
LondonB 6 164 151 13 7 108.61 58.33
York 6 161 107 54 6 150.47 50
 
Sheffield 5 124 100 24 5 124 50
Halifax 5 155 101 54 4 153.47 40
Dewsbury 5 73 123 -50 4 59.35 40
Oldham 5 82 156 -74 4 52.56 40
Whitehaven 6 109 185 -76 4 58.92 33.33
Newcastle 5 120 153 -33 3 78.43 30
Widnes 6 120 215 -95 3 55.81 25
Swinton 5 74 197 -123 0 37.56 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 2
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
Workington 2 78 32 46 4 243.75 100
Barrow 2 78 38 40 4 205.26 100
Rochdale 2 62 46 16 2 134.78 50
Crusaders 2 62 50 12 2 124 50
Coventry 2 56 48 8 2 116.67 50
Keighley 2 62 58 4 2 106.90 50
 
Hunslet 2 42 46 -4 2 91.30 50
Doncaster 2 48 66 -18 2 72.73 50
LondonS 2 40 94 -54 0 42.55 0
West Wales 2 26 76 -50 0 34.21 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 3
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
CastlefordW 2 84 6 78 4 1,400 100
WiganW 2 90 8 82 4 1,125 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
YorkW 2 58 82 -24 2 70.73 50
Hudds W 2 28 110 -82 2 25.45 50
 
FeatherstoneW 3 20 154 -134 0 12.99 0
BradfordW 3 20 152 -132 0 13.16 0
Wire W 2 14 106 -92 0 13.21 0
WakefieldW 2 6 118 -112 0 5.08 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X