FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Are London Broncos the worst supported SL side ever ?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 22 22:181st Feb 22 08:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

BumpyMcbump wrote:
4 derby games a season reduces the overall average, frankly it's insane to do that,

See above.

It's insane that the game doesn't work hard enough to get Bradford back in Superleague, and the fans don't cut them any slack.

I can appreciate the purists idea of "fair play" and "this is sport". However I don't think it really is just a sport. It's a business that has to find the best way to survive and prosper.

As a "sport" shorn of the SKY deal and BBC money I honestly think our audience would shrink badly, and that top Rugby kids would be looking to play Union, who themselves would probably look to create another Sale RUFC in west Yorkshire.....Recreating Leeds RUFC.....
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

For me it's got nothing to do with the stadium I watch the game not checking out the facilities, I suppose if you stunted in growth it is difficult to watch from Belle Vue but try watching a team that you know will never reach a super league or even get the opportunity to grace Wembley all because we're not rich enough to afford the better players that the top clubs can get,
you wonder why some fans leave the game when they see clubs bend the rules to clamber up the league leaving you light years behind.
Then add the the lopsided refing that makes a mockery of the game whether it's televised or not,
then the bias to the richer clubs being on sky the most,
then you get the snobbery of fans that used to play out of shitholes but have forgotten about their past and get helping hand by their council's or latch on to football clubs but bleat on about ours

And you wonder why fans of the game are getting peed of with the game
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

UllFC wrote:
In Wakefield's case the facilities are a big turn off, its not even like other old grounds where the atmosphere is great on the old terraces so you put up with it, you get Wet and the sound leaks out and the steps are shallow so the view is poor. The club have also stuttered along facing financial disaster for years, until the latest owners have steadied the ship and to their credit they have performed well given the budget.

That's very hypocritical of you, how's that song go "old faithful in any kind of weather" :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Last edited by snowie on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 20213 years266th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 18:3811th Oct 21 06:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

snowie wrote:
For me it's got nothing to do with the stadium I watch the game not checking out the facilities, I suppose if you stunted in growth it is difficult to watch from Belle Vue but try watching a team that you know will never reach a super league or even get the opportunity to grace Wembley all because we're not rich enough to afford the better players that the top clubs can get,
you wonder why some fans leave the game when they see clubs bend the rules to clamber up the league leaving you light years behind.
Then add the the lopsided refing that makes a mockery of the game whether it's televised or not,
then you get the snobbery of fans that used to play out of shitholes but have forgotten about their past and get helping hand by their council's or latch on to football clubs but bleat on about ours

Spot on there old boy, some people have short memories on here.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

snowie wrote:

That's a mighty rant....I'm sure you and me both would, and have, and still would watch games stood on a pit heap (didn't Post office road have an unterraced banking of pit debris behind the sticks at one end?)**** But if we want the crowds we need to have the facilities - for the ladies if the loo's are a tip that's enough for them to refuse to go. ANYWAY.....

We have to put up with Leeds, Wire, Wigan and Saints playing for all the trophies decade after decade, but one thing I think we may forget is that wasn't there a time when they received "dispensation" because they moaned they could afford to buy big talents from Australia that would "grace the game" and the cap blocked this?

So this is the "better players" thing?

That Leeds or Wigan can stick another couple of hundred thousand on their "cap" and buy top Aussies may also mean that when top kids in Wakefield are ready to join an academy, they don't join Wakefield's but go to Leeds and yes Wigan?

I'd agree the cards are stacked against Wakefield.....Probably both ways......

Odsal's banking at the far end was a mix of rubbish and cinders from 100 years of coal fires in the city, I can remember pulling out empty BYB beer bottles out of that tip....
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 20213 years266th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 18:3811th Oct 21 06:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Donnyman wrote:
That's a mighty rant....I'm sure you and me both would, and have, and still would watch games stood on a pit heap (didn't Post office road have an unterraced banking of pit debris behind the sticks at one end?)**** But if we want the crowds we need to have the facilities - for the ladies if the loo's are a tip that's enough for them to refuse to go. ANYWAY.....

We have to put up with Leeds, Wire, Wigan and Saints playing for all the trophies decade after decade, but one thing I think we may forget is that wasn't there a time when they received "dispensation" because they moaned they could afford to buy big talents from Australia that would "grace the game" and the cap blocked this?

That Leeds or Wigan can stick another couple of hundred thousand on their "cap" and buy top Aussies may also mean that when top kids in Wakefield are ready to join an academy, they don't join Wakefield's but go to Leeds and yes Wigan?

Odsal's banking at the far end was a mix of rubbish and cinders from 100 years of coal fires in the city, I can remember pulling out empty BYB beer bottles out of that tip....

God I didn't think you were that old :lol:
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Donnyman wrote:

Maybe it is a rant, what I should of done is added the second post to the first one I did which was ullfc post of getting wet and couldn't watch the game because of shallow steps coming from a fan who's grotty old stadium wasn't even fit to keep cattle in, council then builds them a top notch stadium and now they talk about wanting to leave it and bleats on about being the 3 top wage spender and can't afford to run the team

My heart bleeds for them
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 26 20213 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Aug 21 12:361st Aug 21 14:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Donnyman wrote:
See above.

It's insane that the game doesn't work hard enough to get Bradford back in Superleague, and the fans don't cut them any slack.

I can appreciate the purists idea of "fair play" and "this is sport". However I don't think it really is just a sport. It's a business that has to find the best way to survive and prosper.

As a "sport" shorn of the SKY deal and BBC money I honestly think our audience would shrink badly, and that top Rugby kids would be looking to play Union, who themselves would probably look to create another Sale RUFC in west Yorkshire.....Recreating Leeds RUFC.....

No, it's insane trying to bring back a club that have proven they can't operate within the rules set from a financial POV, the begging bowl passed round for Bradford 1964 that were piddled away was duplicitous, the RFL should have let them fall by the wayside instead of wasting money and effort, it could have gone into supporting other clubs that weren't completely bankrupt. I'd rather have London in SL than a Bradford.

The example you refer to attendance wise simply proves my point, by the play-off there was a 30% drop off in fans, that was a huge game, 10% drop off by the third league game, the CC final attendance is meaningless, neutrals make up a significant number.
Look at it another way, two top teams with a combined city population of well over a million (never mind outlying areas) only mustered 21,000 at its high point that season (3,000 less than the 24k high point in 1999).
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

happyjack wrote:
God I didn't think you were that old :lol:

Old but wise with it my dear boy........... :wink:

Old enough to get on a bus by myself and go and see other grounds, Odsal, POR and Belle Vue where Neil Fox, Les Sheard, Terry Crook and Dave Topliss murdered Dewsbury who were a great side then. Wrencat will know these names.........
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 16 20194 years213th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

BumpyMcbump wrote:
No, it's insane

The example you refer to attendance wise simply proves my point, by the play-off there was a 30% drop off in fans, t10% drop off by the third league game, the CC final attendance is meaningless,

Look at it another way, two top teams with a combined city population of well over a million (never mind outlying areas) only mustered 21,000 at its high point that season

:lol: :lol: :lol: great reply but I'll look at it from 140,000 bums on seats at maybe £20 a pop, here's the bottom line.......

£2.8 million .
PreviousNext