FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - We carried too many passengers, especially our halfbacks.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2204No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 26 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Nov 12 14:3615th Nov 12 14:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Far too many of our side are either too inconsistent or they are simply not good enough to take us to the next level, Michael Monaghan and Lee Briers were virtually none existent. Lee Briers is very capable but he has far too many quiet games, it was like taking on Saints without any half backs. We had the pack tonight to lay the platform but we lacked flair from our half backs, apart from one pass to the fuzzy haired cart horse i didn`t realise Michael Monaghan had been selected. I`m not a fan of Leon Pryce at 6 but at least both the Saints half backs made penetrating runs that caused us problems. Its a good job we had Micky Higham as i dread to think what the score would have been without him especially if Mr Predictable had been at 9.

Ive said before that Michael Monaghan is never a scrum half these days and i won`t be changing that opinion, IMO he turned into a better hooker whilst at Manly than he ever was a scrum half at the Raiders.

I wonder if the council has any vacancies for a bin man as maybe they could take over Matt King`s contract ?

Well done to Chris Riley for the effort and enthusiasm, its nice to see pride in the shirt. Positives as well for Gareth Carvell, Micky Higham, Ben Westwood and Paul Rauhihi, Moz was going well before the silly penalties which contributed to our downfall.

At the end of the day i think we have far too many inconsistent so called star players which means we will keep the inconsistency tag until they are replaced with better quality, i know this is just the first competetive game of the season but i saw enough tonight to have concenrns especially when our backline was no threat whatsoever apart from the efforts of Chris Riley to join the line. Our defence close to the line remains a problem especially when teams up the tempo as they seem to walk through us far too easily, 26 unanswered points has to be a concern.
Last edited by Rob Wire on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 200618 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th May 24 11:0924th Feb 24 15:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Squadbuilder Member.
Wembley 09 - if it never gets better than that, at least I was there....
Wembley 10 - it did........and I was there again.
2011 - SL League Leaders.
2012 - CC Winners...great day, great friends
Blimey, its getting good this supporting thing (or am I a fan.....)

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:56 am  
Have to agree, there was little cohesion in the performance tonight
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10645No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Nov 13 14:5816th Oct 13 18:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
equilibriumproductions.com [WAM] - WArrington Music

: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 am  
felt monas was nonexistant and out tactics were just left to right, right to left with the passing. Nothing stood out as particulary innovative in which to break saints down.
[] 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6901No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 09 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Sep 09 12:171st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Rob Wire wrote:
Far too many of our side are either too inconsistent or they are simply not good enough to take us to the next level, Michael Monaghan and Lee Briers were virtually none existent. Lee Briers is very capable but he has far too many quiet games, it was like taking on Saints without any half backs. We had the pack tonight to lay the platform but we lacked flair from our half backs, apart from one pass to the fuzzy haired cart horse i didn`t realise Michael Monaghan had been selected. I`m not a fan of Leon Pryce at 6 but at least both the Saints half backs made penetrating runs that caused us problems. Its a good job we had Micky Higham as i dread to think what the score would have been without him especially if Mr Predictable had been at 9.

Ive said before that Michael Monaghan is never a scrum half these days and i won`t be changing that opinion, IMO he turned into a better hooker whilst at Manly than he ever was a scrum half at the Raiders.

I wonder if the council has any vacancies for a bin man as maybe they could take over Matt King`s contract ?

Well done to Chris Riley for the effort and enthusiasm, its nice to see pride in the shirt. Positives as well for Gareth Carvell, Micky Higham, Ben Westwood and Paul Rauhihi, Moz was going well before the silly penalties which contributed to our downfall.

At the end of the day i think we have far too many inconsistent so called star players which means we will keep the inconsistency tag until they are replaced with better quality, i know this is just the first competetive game of the season but i saw enough tonight to have concenrns especially when our backline was no threat whatsoever apart from the efforts of Chris Riley to join the line. Our defence close to the line remains a problem especially when teams up the tempo as they seem to walk through us far too easily, 26 unanswered points has to be a concern.

As ever an interesting, if a little long, post Rob.

I think we need to hold fire on looking at the 'inconsistency' point for this season, for the time being, at least until we have played more than 1 game. I take the point about inconsistency within a particular game but again, I think this falls on its booty when we are talking about 1 match, and the 1st game of the season at that.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2204No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 26 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Nov 12 14:3615th Nov 12 14:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ian [77] wrote:
I think we need to hold fire on looking at the 'inconsistency' point for this season, for the time being, at least until we have played more than 1 game.

The opinion above isn`t just based on the St Helens game, Lee Briers has been inconsistent for a long while now, i`m not sure we can actually class Michael Monaghan as inconsistent because to be inconsistent you need to have shown some worthwhile form in the first place and apart from 1 game that sticks in the memory he has been utter garbage for such a high profile signing.

The same comments that i used for Michael Monaghan can be used for Matt King, Kevin Penny again is another player that is inconsistent and again thats not just based on the St Helens game either. Paul Johnson is another inconsistent performer since he arrived at the club, Louis Anderson is another that is inconsistent with his performances since he arrived.

The above doesn`t even include the inconsistent performers that are out injured like Jon Clarke, Vinnie Anderson, Stuart Reardon and Simon Grix. If you have so many inconsistent performers in your squad then you can expect nothing less than inconsistent results which is my overall point about carrying too many passengers in too many games and the same has started again in the first game of the new season.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1245No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 01 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Aug 11 07:274th Aug 10 12:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 am  
Have to agree with this Briers and Monaghan didnt really show up at all.
Dawson 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach830No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 27 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 12 17:1727th Aug 12 16:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:43 am  
I too wanted more from our half backs. Maybe it was tactical not to use them as in the first 50 minutes we just ran down the middle, completed 95 % of our sets (which was refreshing) and got good field position.

I try not to think about the last 30 minutes