Board index Super League Warrington Wolves An Unpalatable Thought

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Unpalatable Thought
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

PS I am also going to stop listening to matches on Wire FM, every time I do we lose.

Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:03 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

morrisseyisawire wrote:This morning, whilst preparing my early morning Ceylon and ruminating on yesterdays game, an unpleasant thought struck me.

Are we actually that good?

On Friday I watched one of the worst Wigan teams I can recall stumble to victory and move within 2 points of the top five. Hull, a team who have taken some fearful beatings this year, are firmly ensconced in the top 4. Catalan have swung from good to abymsal but look nailed on for the top 5. None of the supporters of these teams would claim to be having a good season, so is being leaders of the chasing pack really that big an achievement?

So, are we genuine contenders with Saints for the big prizes or are we just slightly better and more consistent than the rest? Have we improved and they have stood still or have we maintained whilst they have slipped backwards? Are we gamely trying to keep pace with Saints or looking over our shoulders?

I repeat, are we actually that good?

As it stands we have an opportunity to win the Challenge Cup and the Grand Final of Superleague.

It's only a case of being good enough on the day of the Cup semi and then final, and each play off match to the GF (assuming we get in the top 5). We don't even need to good and could be bang average, or even crap for all I care, as long as were better than our opponents on the scoreboard after 80 minutes, in the games that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I think we are a good second, but as the weekend match showed we have an achilles heel and an occasional attitude problem.
The match against Catalan showed that we do have a reasonable defence and a coach that can get tactics right on big matches, but then the players seem to switch off on so called 'easier matches ( including last year's c.c. final where we were shocking).
Saints are head and shoulders above everyone else. The gap is huge. End of.
Having said that there are a few clubs who can challenge them - we're one of them, but it depends which Wire turn up.
Hull are another, but they yoyo from brilliant to absolute cr@p.

If teams keep Austin and Clark quiet and limit our go forward then we struggle.
I think Saints have far many strings to their bow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I think our best...is better than Saints again this year as it was last...regardless if how many points up the league they are, or runaway scores they have.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

rubber duckie wrote:I think our best...is better than Saints again this year as it was last...regardless if how many points up the league they are, or runaway scores they have.

Sorry RD but this is nonsense. We embarrassed ourselves against Saints earlier this year and I worry about next Friday. We really blow hot and cold far too much, I don’t care if we’re second, we don’t seem to know how to build consistency and momentum, I think Fez in the post above yours has summed us up. Shut down Austin and Clark and we fall to bits. In that respect we are easy to play against. Perhaps the possible cup final against our sister-loving rivals will bring the fight out of us but I really don’t see anyone matching them this year, when it counts. I worry they’ve learned from previous failures, whereas we have been to the well many times now (12, 13, 16, 18) and still don’t know how to win the one that counts. I suppose time will tell but I don’t buy into this nonsense that we will miraculously turn it on when it counts. We wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:05 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Neither side are unbeatable. If both teams turn up then it will be close, but my money would be on Saints, however, it is far more likely that we will have an off day than will Saints. We need to build some consistency, stop giving away stupid penalties and keep the team fit and refreshed - then we will have a chance. Failing to get the points against KR means that we are not in a position to rest players this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I think our best hope against Saints is that we have a great ,error free handling day & keep a lid on the penalties. We have seen it happen before on every occasion we have beaten Saints ,on the other hand we know what happens when our best game is left in the dressing room. I'm sure the boys are working on Plan A & ,hopefully, a Plan B.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Best hope?
I don't get it.
Let them worry about us. Our A game beats Saints.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Definitely best hope .We'll get tweeted otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Saints, or more specifically Holbrook, have made two major changes since last year that have given them an advantage.

One, Holbrook is now rotating his squad - something he refused to do last year which contributed to their failure.

Two, he binned off Richardson in favour of Fages.

Weaknesses were highlighted and resolved with surgical precision and zero emotion. A lesson worth learning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com