FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Post Match Doom, Can we find any shreds of comfort ...
Dave T 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 06 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 18 15:1919th May 14 13:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:37 am  
Slugger McBatt wrote:
I can understand you're frustration, but I think you're being too harsh. I was thinking that up until about sixty minutes in, you were looking very good. You outmuscled them playing reliable and basic stuff, no panic. You won't be the only team this year to let Saints slip away this year, because when they turn it on, not many can stop them. But I thought on the whole that you looked a robust and able outfit, and less of the chaotic inconsistency of previous seasons.
I'dlike to point out again.

6 tries to 2. This game was only close due to missed conversions.

In previous seasons we have pushed Saints much closer, so how do we suddenly look better than thos teams?
JWP 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 15 16:458th Sep 12 06:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:48 am  
Slugger McBatt wrote:
I can understand you're frustration, but I think you're being too harsh. I was thinking that up until about sixty minutes in, you were looking very good. You outmuscled them playing reliable and basic stuff, no panic. You won't be the only team this year to let Saints slip away this year, because when they turn it on, not many can stop them. But I thought on the whole that you looked a robust and able outfit, and less of the chaotic inconsistency of previous seasons.

I think you may have a point there. I thought the team looked more methodical when attacking the Saints line, more willing to get to a kick and force a repeat set, as oppose to years gone by where you've felt every play was a 'must score play' with ball shifted left to right, then right to left etc.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 22:1028th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:48 am  
You just seemed more solid. It was all down the middle, Bradford Bulls kind of stuff, but I thought it looked like a really composed, well-drilled unit for sixty minutes. In the past, you have run them close, but it always seemed like a frantic, backs to the wall, play your heart out kind of approach, which doesn't tend to work over a whole season. You just seemed so much more in control for sixty minutes than maybe in other games, and I remember thinking that you were looking very good.

I know it went wrong in the end, but Saints had to claw themselves ahead, and if you replicate that control in other games, I reckon you'll have a good year.
Dave T 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 06 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 18 15:1919th May 14 13:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 am  
JWP wrote:
I think you may have a point there. I thought the team looked more methodical when attacking the Saints line, more willing to get to a kick and force a repeat set, as oppose to years gone by where you've felt every play was a 'must score play' with ball shifted left to right, then right to left etc.
Yeah, I agree with that. Our structures looked beter, and we held the ball for longer which helped. However when it came down to it, our defence was as bad as ever(don't worry he'll sort that by dragging Pennyh off), and by playing a more conservative game, it unfortunately meant that we didn't get the benefits of the 'off the cuff' style of the last few years.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jan 19 07:155th Oct 17 13:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am  
Not seen anything that's inspired me, put it that way.
JWP 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13016No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 15 16:458th Sep 12 06:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:08 am  
Robbie Rotten wrote:
Not seen anything that's inspired me, put it that way.

Not even the bloke with the sign, who loved Steph ?

(If running on the pitch is a £1,000 fine, why didn't he buy her a ring or a necklace or something, and have them write out one of those little tags. Wouldn't 'Steph' have preferred that ?)
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16254
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years64th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:4620th May 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:30 am  
Lets have a sense of perspective.

This is round one, against the most consistent team in Super League over the past however many seasons, at their own ground.

It is hard for any team to go to Saints and win even with a clean bill of health, we had four internationals out (Gleeson, Reardon, Vinnie Anderson and Clarke) plus one of our best young players in Grix. No team was going to be able to win there in those circumstances.

The problem is some of our delusional fans were banging on about this being the season we beat St Helens, so now we will have the knee jerk reactions after one defeat.

I saw enough signs in tonights game to be fairly confident that we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, if we learn from our mistakes we will be contenders for the eight.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jan 19 07:155th Oct 17 13:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:35 am  
sally cinnamon wrote:
The problem is some of our delusional fans were banging on about this being the season we beat St Helens, so now we will have the knee jerk reactions after one defeat.

It happens every year Sally to be honest, the year we beat Saints may actually be the year we challenge!

However, I guess you could call it a knee jerk reaction, but with so little hype during pre-season, and all of this talk of doing things differently and so on, I thought the lads would go out and do their talking on the pitch and, for 40 minutes, they did, but then they just seemed to return to their old ways.

I said before, I won't make any real judgments on the side from tonight's result, it was deflating and gutting as every defeat is, but I'll be looking to be making better judgments after 5-10 games.

The only way is up, I guess...
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Feb 16 22:3515th Oct 15 20:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 am  
Robbie Rotten wrote:
However, I guess you could call it a knee jerk reaction, but with so little hype during pre-season, and all of this talk of doing things differently and so on, I thought the lads would go out and do their talking on the pitch and, for 40 minutes, they did, but then they just seemed to return to their old ways...

Don't be so hard on your guys. They did it for 50 and then Saints clicked and gave it them back. I think Lowes drilled them well in the style of play that Bradford and Leeds (on a wet day) show. Well, that's all well and good but Saints are open rugby players (when they click). Driving up the middle isn't an answer to attacking open rugby (of the kind I like to see the Wolves play because it's so good to watch). Once we started swinging the ball around and actually passing it to players' hands rather than their chest and not dropping it, you had no answer, just as we have no answer to the drill down the middle then a kick which you gave to us in plenty for the first half. We have no kicking game and no answer to the kicking game and Wire kicked really well tonight and they drilled down the middle really well. Much better than us on both counts throughout the match. But we play expansive rugby really well and when we click we become very slippery.

I think you guys have plenty of positive stuff to take from tonight. I just hope this game doesn't have the negative effect on the way the team plays as it has done in recent times. I hope Lowes gets the men back up, puts it all into perspective - it really is just one game and the first one of the season at that - and keeps on building on what they did tonight because if that is what happens then I don't see why Wire can't be up there and in with as good a chance as anyone for the top spot.

I miss the old style of play though. That was far more exciting than the Bradford/Leeds drill up the middle and kick jobby. Oh well!
Milly 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3555No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 28 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Aug 23 17:125th Aug 19 20:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 am  
I love our fans! We are so negative! We are useless, nothing changes, no positives, slag the players off, rip the team apart, ignore the good stuff and focus on the bad. One game in and we are already suicidal - it's great! :lol:
PreviousNext