Post subject: Front row
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Am I being a bit thick here but why didn't we give Burrell a try in the front row? 19st sat on the bench when we needed some beef.

What's the worst that could have happened?

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Front row
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:42 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

He will get shagged out faster than sita and the opposition will tear him a new one as he's lay on the groubs gasping

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

He'd have been gassed faster than sita. In the future maybe, I'm interested to see what Burrell is like after a full pre season and with the new less Conservative e rugby that Steve price is definitely going to deliver next season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:21 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

A RU centre is all about big strong lads running onto ball in a bit of space and blitzing the defensive line. In between they pop over to the dug out, have a cup and tea and do the Sudoku puzzle in the paper. Its no surprise that Burrell is a bit puffed after a few minutes playing RL and he will not get the space he is used to either. Perhaps he will surprise us and get sufficiently fit and elusive to play centre, but I would have thought he was more likely to end up in the second row. Prop ? no, I think that's unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Winslade's Offload wrote:A RU centre is all about big strong lads running onto ball in a bit of space and blitzing the defensive line. In between they pop over to the dug out, have a cup and tea and do the Sudoku puzzle in the paper. Its no surprise that Burrell is a bit puffed after a few minutes playing RL and he will not get the space he is used to either. Perhaps he will surprise us and get sufficiently fit and elusive to play centre, but I would have thought he was more likely to end up in the second row. Prop ? no, I think that's unlikely.

I can't see him as a backrower either W/O.
I'd have been tempted to play him as a winger like Lineham in a couple of games? He can run the ball in as a forward but also get some width he requires in expanse.

He's like the RL version of Burgess in Union...square peg in a triangular hole.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Burgess would have been great if England had picked him at 6. He was one of England’s better players 4 years ago against Wales.
Burgess is a world leading talent. Burrell was a bog standard prem rugby union centre. Hopefully a full pre season will sort him out.

On paper I still think second row is his most likely position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:12 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Do we have a front row? ... watching the NRL GF it would be dream to have enforcer type prop like Papalii or JWH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:01 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

The next 5 months are the key to his next 3 or 4 years. If he doesn't "hit the ground running", come March April May, he might as well go back to rah rah.
He's been with the side for 3 months or so, and he looks no more a RL player than an Olympic swimmer does. If he doesn't buck his ideas up, he'll be the biggest flop since Dick Fosbury

From what I've seen of the fella, he looks lost, almost like a YTS lad on his first day at his new job (has someone sent him out for a long stand, yet?).
He's a centre, that's where it begins and ends. He doesn't look the type to be a 60+ minute second rower. Prop? No chance.. "Ball player?" We'll wait and see.

I want the fella to do very well, but from what I've seen, I ain't holding my breath

Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:14 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

If the service, or rather distinct lack of service, our threequarters get is evidence of the amount of time they get with coaches or the coaches view of their roles, I'm not suprised he is struggling.

Given our more experienced backs look likey they've never played the game half the time I'm amazed Burrell doesn't think passing to his winger is illegal.

Get on the phone to Allan Bateman and give him four months - King & Gelling would learn plenty too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:22 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bateman was a polar opposite to the modern RL centre. He was a stepper, a good pair of hands, and, for his weight, a tremendous defender.

I'm not sure what he could say to the modern centre, bar 'are you sure second row isnt your position?'.....

And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com