Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Today’s game v HKR



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 898
runningman29 wrote:Think you mean Barbed Wire as he’s the only one I can see who’s listed all them named players.


It may well be aimed at me, however unclear as to what the post is meant to address. Patton did what he always does, he’s filling a shirt and doing what he’s told as a ‘second’ half back. If that’s good enough for people, then superb, however I would like more. ‘Young’ Dec is 23(ish), not a kid, a hot prospect or rookie and should be judged as such.

On Friday I said “Goodwin, Livett and Patton have ability somewhere but just aren’t showing it at all. Goodwin in particular yesterday was dire.” which I stand by. The three of them have talent, but on Friday didn’t deliver. Goodwin was ok today, much improved.

Westwood & Atkins didn’t play, so that point is somewhat irrelevant. I’ve never criticised King or Stef, and actually think they are two of our better players, same goes for Hill other than the odd frustrating penalty.

Today is a great result, and it’s important to punish teams in free fall (like HKR are), however the fact remains that the club have a lot of dead wood, some on decent salaries I would imagine, that we could get a better value return for. I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I won’t apologise for wanting the fringe players to come in and show enthusiasm and try and steal a shirt of someone, not just to plug gaps.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Posts: 73
It appears that Cooper was ill, Currie was rested to protect ACL, Atkins and Westwood dropped.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 3855
Location: Every me, every you / Placebo
It was a good result, that can not be denied. Trouble is you still have that lingering doubt about their ability to 'turn up' for some matches.

And why it happens.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am
Posts: 14699
That was also true of McDermott's Leeds teams and Wane's Wigan teams. They had a lot of seasons where they underwhelmed their fans with inconsistency through the league season and had them questioning the coach. They generally turned up when it came to playoffs or Grand Finals though.

Warrington 2019 are not going to be Warrington 2011 where you arrive at the ground each week pretty much knowing we are going to have too much firepower for the opposition. But we will almost certainly be in the top 5, probably the top 3 and so will be involved at the business end of our season and the extent to which we turn up in those games will determine whether we go further than Warrington 2011.






Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012
League Champions 2011 2016

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:25 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm
Posts: 139
Terry Griffiths wrote:It appears that Cooper was ill, Currie was rested to protect ACL, Atkins and Westwood dropped.


Cooper is too good and has already been rested this season, so I believe that. It's easy to 'protect' Currie . . . he needed a game off.

Second time Atkins has been dropped. I've been such a big fan of his, but my centres now are Goodwin and King.

I thought 2017 was a bridge too far for Westwood, 2018 proved me (and a lot) wrong but . . . he looks done.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:17 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:02 pm
Posts: 7202
Location: Home sweet home
Barbed Wire wrote:It may well be aimed at me, however unclear as to what the post is meant to address. Patton did what he always does, he’s filling a shirt and doing what he’s told as a ‘second’ half back. If that’s good enough for people, then superb, however I would like more. ‘Young’ Dec is 23(ish), not a kid, a hot prospect or rookie and should be judged as such.

On Friday I said “Goodwin, Livett and Patton have ability somewhere but just aren’t showing it at all. Goodwin in particular yesterday was dire.” which I stand by. The three of them have talent, but on Friday didn’t deliver. Goodwin was ok today, much improved.

Westwood & Atkins didn’t play, so that point is somewhat irrelevant. I’ve never criticised King or Stef, and actually think they are two of our better players, same goes for Hill other than the odd frustrating penalty.

Today is a great result, and it’s important to punish teams in free fall (like HKR are), however the fact remains that the club have a lot of dead wood, some on decent salaries I would imagine, that we could get a better value return for. I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I won’t apologise for wanting the fringe players to come in and show enthusiasm and try and steal a shirt of someone, not just to plug gaps.

Wasn't aimed at you it was a generalisation of posts I've read.if all these players mentioned are not good enough then we are doing well to be 2nd.anyone would think we are a bottom 3 club...any how defeats do happen frustrating as it is especially like the one handed to us by Salford..but let's not press the panic button just yet

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 10824
sir adrian morley wrote:Wasn't aimed at you it was a generalisation of posts I've read.if all these players mentioned are not good enough then we are doing well to be 2nd.anyone would think we are a bottom 3 club...any how defeats do happen frustrating as it is especially like the one handed to us by Salford..but let's not press the panic button just yet


I don't think it's panicking to call for Adkins to be dropped due to his woeful handling and passing, to realise 2019 is the season too far for club legend Westwood and that clubs with a lot less wealth and profile than us manage to operate with more effective halfbacks than Patton.

Often when results don't go your way the weak links are highlighted. Like it or not they are the weak links in our side (together with us being a front line prop short)






https://www.mind.org.uk

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5187
Location: Out There.
sir adrian morley wrote:Wasn't aimed at you it was a generalisation of posts I've read.if all these players mentioned are not good enough then we are doing well to be 2nd.anyone would think we are a bottom 3 club...any how defeats do happen frustrating as it is especially like the one handed to us by Salford..but let's not press the panic button just yet


Fans expectations have risen massively since 2009 and our first cup win in a long time. I’ve watched us for near on 49 years so I know the really bad times and remember not being has bothered when we lost etc, but this club is now at a much higher level and I for one am grateful that we are. Well the thing is fans now want more and are expecting it so are now more criticising of performances and individuals,it is what it is and yes some people won’t like what is said but that’s what debate is.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 10824
sir adrian morley wrote:Wasn't aimed at you it was a generalisation of posts I've read.if all these players mentioned are not good enough then we are doing well to be 2nd.anyone would think we are a bottom 3 club...any how defeats do happen frustrating as it is especially like the one handed to us by Salford..but let's not press the panic button just yet


I think if you don't enjoy reading criticism of players/putting the counter case you could possibly save yourself the anguish of reading the harrowing assessments by avoiding coming on the club's unofficial forum in the immediate hours after a terrible home display. :D






https://www.mind.org.uk

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Today’s game v HKR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:56 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am
Posts: 898
The point I am making is that there are players commanding a wage that exceeds their output. BMM for example plays short minutes with varying levels of impact. I think it’s fair to say he’s not one to roll his sleeves up and carry the ball away from our line, doing the dirty work. Yet if you look at Alex Walmsley, similar size player who does similar minutes, who id argue are on similar money, who would you prefer?

My other point is that those on the fringes should be adding a level of enthusiasm to try and stay in the team. Philbin did it last year and has kept his place, Livett proved he could in his first 6 games yet has dropped away. I want these players to take their chance and force the hand of the coach

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next





It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gazwire, RIGSBY, WireWireWire and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,911,58671377,6514,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Sat 6th Jul 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 12th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
SALFORD
Sun 21st Jul 15:30
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 9th Aug 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Fri 16th Aug 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 1st Sep 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 6th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 13th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WARRINGTON
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






21

.