Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Running Styles - Shoulder Charge

Post subject: Running Styles - Shoulder Charge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:59 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Terry O'Connor mentioned it at Magic vs Wigan (Philbin vs Greenwood) and Chris Chester has now mentioned it in relation to Sita's destructive running vs Scott Taylor and a young Wakey player from Friday's game. They seem to be suggesting the rules should be amended and the ball carrier should no longer be allowed to 'lead with the shoulder'.

Surely it is the responsibility of the defender to get himself in the correct position to make the tackle? Head out of the way and to make contact with their own shoulder, instead of making the tackle square on.

I appreciate player safety is important, but I think its more a case of the defender adjusting their techniques rather than taking yet another bit of physicality out of the game? What next? Do we limit the speed players are allowed to run at to minimise collision?!? Implement a maximum playing weight?!?

Post subject: Re: Running Styles - Shoulder Charge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:04 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Back in the day when a great tackle took the legs....there was never an issue...
Plus only one defender was required most of the time and plenty nuff split possession.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rugby League may as well cease to exist if we're going to start pinging ball runners for leading with the shoulder.

In the age where player safety is paramount, forcing players to run a ball in to 2+ defenders perfectly upright and with their shoulder square to their hips we are asking for trouble. there will be whiplash and neck injuries galore. we're talking the equivilent force of a 40mph car crash at times. players need to lead into the tackle to brace themselves. As do the defenders when they bend their knees and 'hit up'.

It's absolutely laughable that this is even a discussion. Coaches moaning in post match interviews about their injuries due to such and such is damaging the game. "Its a good hit, my lad came off 2nd best." should be the response when questioned about it.

Its ALWAYS our year

Est.1876

Sent to me from heaven... You are my world.

1876 - 2019

BUM BANGERS SINCE 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

How the hell do you define it? Loads of players turn their shoulder in while running with the ball.

You obviously can't wrap your arms around as with a defensive tackle.

Rugby league will get to a point where you concede a penalty if anyone gets hurt. Philbin and Akauloa's runs were immense. If an opposition player put a Warrington player down like that, I'd applaud them for it.

I agree with RL getting sanitized for head injuries, everything else is nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:26 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

I think it should definitely be banned, in fact the whole collision thing is a nightmare waiting to happen. My suggestion - don't allow the ball carrier to take more than four strides before coming into contact with the defence. That would sort it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The shoulder charge isn't outlawed in the game anyway...the interpretation of style is. You can hit with the shoulder if that arm to hand is out and not tucked.
Wigan try it on us last time.
But my interpretation ain't how the RFL deem it.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:03 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

To be fair i never understood why they banned a shoulder charge for defender but not the attacker as it's the same thing. But hey ho it would be a lot duller without it :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The attacking player should be allowed to run however he/she chooses. It's up to the defender to tackle safely and by the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Thankfully, the rah rah boys at Twickers have eliminated the shoulder charge at a stroke ,it is now called a "no hands tackle" .
I can't help thinking though that maybe going back to the old fashioned way of tackling ,round the legs, would remove the need for shoulder contact & would allow a tackled player to be brought to ground by his own momentum. That would even be possible for a single player to carry out & would speed up the ruck. Aaah nostalgia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

ninearches wrote:Thankfully, the rah rah boys at Twickers have eliminated the shoulder charge at a stroke ,it is now called a "no hands tackle" .
I can't help thinking though that maybe going back to the old fashioned way of tackling ,round the legs, would remove the need for shoulder contact & would allow a tackled player to be brought to ground by his own momentum. That would even be possible for a single player to carry out & would speed up the ruck. Aaah nostalgia.

You're not the guy that stands a few crash barriers behind me in the south stand that shouts LEGS at every tackle, are you? Or his sister/wife/significant other that also does it?

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com