Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Luis Johnson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Luis Johnson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:14 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Louis Johnson certainly looked to be a dead cert for the first team when we bought him. Last year he started off with 3 games for Rochdale, but then came back and played out the year with the U19's. I guess the alarm bells should have been ringing at that point because if he was performing at a high standard then he should have made an early appearance in the first team, gone out to a struggling SL team, or at the very least remained in the Championship. FWIW whenever I saw him in the U19's he didn't look particularly special and only managed one try in his 20 games. This year he went to Widnes on loan for a month but only played 1 game. Since mid April he has been a regular for Rochdale - I have not seen him play though.

He certainly looks a fine athlete when he walks onto the pitch, and he did well to chase down Gildart in the game against Wigan, but if all aspects of his game were up to a high standard, then why has he not been given a chance of another game with the first team ? If a first year like Thewliss can be given a first team game at FB, then certainly Price could have easily made room for Johnson in the second row, a much easier position to hide a youngster.

So I suspect the answer is that Johnson has simply not done enough to warrant a game. And if we say he should be given a chance, we are betting our judgement against a professional RL coach who will have watched Johnson's performances and dissected his game. Not good odds surely ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:31 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I'm with Winslade's never impressed at u19s level. What have others seen to make them think he deserves a chance for the first team bar one game off the bench at Wigan (he's never played as well as that for the u19s)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Winslade's Offload wrote:Louis Johnson certainly looked to be a dead cert for the first team when we bought him. Last year he started off with 3 games for Rochdale, but then came back and played out the year with the U19's. I guess the alarm bells should have been ringing at that point because if he was performing at a high standard then he should have made an early appearance in the first team, gone out to a struggling SL team, or at the very least remained in the Championship. FWIW whenever I saw him in the U19's he didn't look particularly special and only managed one try in his 20 games. This year he went to Widnes on loan for a month but only played 1 game. Since mid April he has been a regular for Rochdale - I have not seen him play though.

He certainly looks a fine athlete when he walks onto the pitch, and he did well to chase down Gildart in the game against Wigan, but if all aspects of his game were up to a high standard, then why has he not been given a chance of another game with the first team ? If a first year like Thewliss can be given a first team game at FB, then certainly Price could have easily made room for Johnson in the second row, a much easier position to hide a youngster.

So I suspect the answer is that Johnson has simply not done enough to warrant a game. And if we say he should be given a chance, we are betting our judgement against a professional RL coach who will have watched Johnson's performances and dissected his game. Not good odds surely ?

That's a very good post mate, Never looked at it that way :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I don't see what the stress is about.

Until this topic I haven't seen anybody say this season "we should drop Currie/Hughes and get that Luis Johnson in".

If he is going on loan to Hull KR presumably he will get first team action, if he starts tearing up SL then after his loan is up we can consider whether its time to try to phase out Currie/Hughes and put Johnson in.

Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Champions 2011 2016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:24 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

I went the wire quiz and had Luis Johnson as our player on our team, he was a nice enough lad and said that he was told to wait for an injury and he would be in line to play but we havent had any second row injuries, read in to that as you will but surely you shouldnt just wait for an injury, you should be ripping up trees in training and forcing SP's hand to have to play you regardless

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:49 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

wolfinwidnes1 wrote:I went the wire quiz and had Luis Johnson as our player on our team, he was a nice enough lad and said that he was told to wait for an injury and he would be in line to play but we havent had any second row injuries, read in to that as you will but surely you shouldnt just wait for an injury, you should be ripping up trees in training and forcing SP's hand to have to play you regardless

Well yes because competition is healthy...but it's also hard to change a winning team...even when Wire don't win...how can you leave out 2 England international backrowers?

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:52 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

same way you leave out, daryl clark, philbin etc, wasnt even getting a space when players have been rested which hughes has been rested and currie has etc and still not hit that spot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:00 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Perhaps..but then there's Westwood BMM Sita and Tasi.

He really needs a break..and he has a SL platform to show...he was particularly standout last night...unlike Livett..he looked another class above everyone but Abdul and Batty.

once a wire always a wire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

rubber duckie wrote:Well yes because competition is healthy...but it's also hard to change a winning team...even when Wire don't win...how can you leave out 2 England international backrowers?

Only Currie has played for England.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

rubber duckie wrote:Perhaps..but then there's Westwood BMM Sita and Tasi.

He really needs a break..and he has a SL platform to show...he was particularly standout last night...unlike Livett..he looked another class above everyone but Abdul and Batty.

Are you seriously suggesting Johnson "was particularly standout" the other night?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com