JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 15 200618 years114th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 17:482nd Jun 24 17:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:14 pm  
Against NZ in the recent tests Hill was doing what he does best ,ball playing forward capable of quick play the ball as well.
If we get back to a game plan that includes open play like that we might start winning more games.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain791
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 20195 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th May 24 19:2920th Mar 24 10:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:30 pm  
Always difficult with these lists to determine how important longevity is. Think SC was right to omit Hicks on that basis.

It's also why I'd say Lineham over Charnley. Lineham's been here for longer and produced some magic moments.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16254
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:4620th May 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 am  
Biggest signing busts of the decade...

10. Joe Westerman
There were spells when Westerman looked like he was going to be a good player but overall I thought he underperformed. We paid a big transfer fee for him and he had a big reputation although when we signed him there was a sense that he was a player who hadn't lived up to the potential he showed when he first broke through at Cas and he wasn't a super driven and dedicated professional. He never changed those perceptions. I get the feeling that Westerman wouldn't have lasted long in an environment like Leeds, Wigan or Saints but he had enough talent that clubs the next tier down like us and Hull indulged him as a talent and big name.

9. Kevin Brown
There has been a reevaluation of Brown on here this season, as his absence hurt us. I was a lot higher on Brown than most when we signed him, I thought there was prejudice against him because of the teams he'd played for before but I always thought he was a good player and he carried Widnes during his time there. With us he had a couple of games where he looked really good but generally didn't live up to his past performances. But he seems to have been universally well regarded by teammates and coaches, including Wayne Bennett who had him in the England team in the World Cup, and he was a tough player who had bad luck with injuries particularly concussions, so I find it hard to be critical. I think this was a signing that really hurt TS, after losing both finals in 2016 we really needed something that would help take us to a higher level. Sandow walked out on us and we picked up Brown and he didn't provide us with the same kind of threat. We transformed in to a more predictable and pedestrian side and the fans seemed to really lay in to Brown and TS that year.

8. Anthony England
Possibly expectations about England were unfairly high because we had struck gold with Chris Hill and because England just 'looked' like he was going to be good. I know all SL forwards are big guys, but he had the hulking, confident physique of someone who looked like he was going to impose himself. He already had a long career behind him in the lower divisions and I think he was 28 in his first season with us, so it was different from signing a young prospect. Overall I felt he hovered just below the threshold of SL standard for most of his time with us, and looked more suited to the Championship. But he went on to play for Wakefield and seemed to do ok so fair play to him.

7. Jason Clark
Clark hasn't been bad, he just gets on this list because he's underwhelmed compared to what we expected. He had glowing tributes from South Sydney and the reports from the NRL were that he was a workhorse, ultimate professional, heart of a team etc. That type of signing, like Darren Burns, Sid Domic, tends to be low risk, they are the ones who usually do very well and become popular on the terraces. But Clark hasn't seemed like he was close to say the performance level of Ben Harrison. He's been 'just a guy' so far.

6. Gary Wheeler
Utility back with a bad run of injuries early in his career? Given what happened with Simon Grix, I was willing to give Wheeler a chance but I think we always knew this was going to be a gamble of a signing. It didn't pay off. I had forgotten about him but it seems like he's going to be back in SL next year with Toronto so we'll see if we missed anything.

5. Ryan Bailey
If you had said to me that we were going to sign one of the Leeds golden generation I would have said I'll be delighted with everyone of them apart from one. Bailey always seemed like the odd one out from that group in terms of his attitude. He came across as surly, arrogant and fancied himself as a bit of a hardman, and in his Leeds days I always felt he was a level lower in talent than those others too. He never seemed more than a numbers-filler with us, and I never liked seeing him in our team.

4. Matty Russell
This threw sand in the theory that Wigan give their young players more chances to develop than we do. From my memory it was seen as a surprise that Wigan cut him so early and people were saying it could be a Shaun Briscoe situation where he came back to make them regret it. He looked like he had potential, good footwork, fast and brave. We gave him chance after chance after chance to develop with more time in the first team and he never seemed to improve much. He was good at what he was good at - running the ball out of dummy half early in the tackle count and making some yards to take the pressure off the forwards. But he never offered much else. He reminded me of Dean Gaskell a decade earlier. After Price came in he was shifted out pretty quickly.

3. Mitchell Dodds
Feels harsh to put him this highly on the bust list as it wasn't his fault. Seemed like an impressive signing when we got him, as he had a good reputation at Brisbane Broncos but suffered an awful broken leg at the start of his career here and that ended his career as a first teamer in the top level of professional RL. I don't think he played an NRL first team game again after he returned home. A sad situation for us and for him.

2. Tyrone Roberts
With hindsight this was a massively overhyped signing considering his NRL pedigree. He'd been halfback of two struggling teams and never made a major impact in the NRL. He had a good highlight reel montage which showed a few tricks, which probably generated the hype. People were touting him as a 'Man of Steel contender' when we signed him. I was down in Aus that off season for the Ashes and World Cup and the Aussie fans who I chatted to were surprised that he was considered a significant signing, their verdict was he was a so-so player who had never come close to being in the top tier over there. He probably had one significant game for us - the CC quarter final when we beat Wigan 23-0. Other than that, he maybe wasn't as bad as some made out, he wasn't prone to making lots of errors, he just shifted the ball about from side to side and never really showed any gamebreaking threat.

1. Roy Asotasi
I had a bad feeling about this signing when he was supposed to be Samoa captain for the 2013 world cup and did a no-show for training camp. This was a classic example of signing a player based on his form of a few years earlier and missing signs that he was on a steep decline. He'd been one of the drivers of Souths revival and he'd been consistently one of the top 3 or so props in the NRL. We signed him to replace Morley who we had allowed to go to Salford after seeing that Morley wasn't the same player in his last season, and we were right judging by his Salford form. But we'd missed exactly the same thing happening with Asotasi hence Souths being willing to ship him on to us. And whereas Morley at least kept running it in as hard as he could for a couple of years with his home town club, Asotasi was expensive passenger and gave off the impression that he was going through the motions in his Wire career.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 20 07:2111th Apr 20 23:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:17 pm  
rubber duckie wrote:
SL Champions in RL are soon forgotten...that's how it is...however the gilt of a Challenge Cup win lingers on.
The greater number of people always remember the winners on terrestrial TV.

Not many people will forget your last championship win.......theres not many folk alive who remember it
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17062
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 00:152nd Jun 24 13:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm  
Redvee69 wrote:
Not many people will forget your last championship win.......theres not many folk alive who remember it

In a different time the Premiership was it although sadly still a generation ago.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 20 07:2111th Apr 20 23:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:31 pm  
rubber duckie wrote:
In a different time the Premiership was it although sadly still a generation ago.

Stop clutching at straws the premiership was an end of season kickabout, the champions had already been decided, wire won the premiership competition in 1986 halifax were rugby league champions
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 20186 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 08:002nd Jun 24 08:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:47 pm  
Yet another pop up Saints fan whose agenda is to derail every thread into a d!ck measuring contest with every post about 1955.

This thread has nothing to do with Saint Helens, it's about Warrington players for the period 2000 to 2009. Comment on such if you wish, but there's enough Saints/Wire bitch fest threads already to post on for your usual content.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 20159 years79th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 22:342nd Jun 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:00 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
Biggest signing busts of the decade...

10. Joe Westerman
There were spells when Westerman looked like he was going to be a good player but overall I thought he underperformed. We paid a big transfer fee for him and he had a big reputation although when we signed him there was a sense that he was a player who hadn't lived up to the potential he showed when he first broke through at Cas and he wasn't a super driven and dedicated professional. He never changed those perceptions. I get the feeling that Westerman wouldn't have lasted long in an environment like Leeds, Wigan or Saints but he had enough talent that clubs the next tier down like us and Hull indulged him as a talent and big name.

9. Kevin Brown
There has been a reevaluation of Brown on here this season, as his absence hurt us. I was a lot higher on Brown than most when we signed him, I thought there was prejudice against him because of the teams he'd played for before but I always thought he was a good player and he carried Widnes during his time there. With us he had a couple of games where he looked really good but generally didn't live up to his past performances. But he seems to have been universally well regarded by teammates and coaches, including Wayne Bennett who had him in the England team in the World Cup, and he was a tough player who had bad luck with injuries particularly concussions, so I find it hard to be critical. I think this was a signing that really hurt TS, after losing both finals in 2016 we really needed something that would help take us to a higher level. Sandow walked out on us and we picked up Brown and he didn't provide us with the same kind of threat. We transformed in to a more predictable and pedestrian side and the fans seemed to really lay in to Brown and TS that year.

8. Anthony England
Possibly expectations about England were unfairly high because we had struck gold with Chris Hill and because England just 'looked' like he was going to be good. I know all SL forwards are big guys, but he had the hulking, confident physique of someone who looked like he was going to impose himself. He already had a long career behind him in the lower divisions and I think he was 28 in his first season with us, so it was different from signing a young prospect. Overall I felt he hovered just below the threshold of SL standard for most of his time with us, and looked more suited to the Championship. But he went on to play for Wakefield and seemed to do ok so fair play to him.

7. Jason Clark
Clark hasn't been bad, he just gets on this list because he's underwhelmed compared to what we expected. He had glowing tributes from South Sydney and the reports from the NRL were that he was a workhorse, ultimate professional, heart of a team etc. That type of signing, like Darren Burns, Sid Domic, tends to be low risk, they are the ones who usually do very well and become popular on the terraces. But Clark hasn't seemed like he was close to say the performance level of Ben Harrison. He's been 'just a guy' so far.

6. Gary Wheeler
Utility back with a bad run of injuries early in his career? Given what happened with Simon Grix, I was willing to give Wheeler a chance but I think we always knew this was going to be a gamble of a signing. It didn't pay off. I had forgotten about him but it seems like he's going to be back in SL next year with Toronto so we'll see if we missed anything.

5. Ryan Bailey
If you had said to me that we were going to sign one of the Leeds golden generation I would have said I'll be delighted with everyone of them apart from one. Bailey always seemed like the odd one out from that group in terms of his attitude. He came across as surly, arrogant and fancied himself as a bit of a hardman, and in his Leeds days I always felt he was a level lower in talent than those others too. He never seemed more than a numbers-filler with us, and I never liked seeing him in our team.

4. Matty Russell
This threw sand in the theory that Wigan give their young players more chances to develop than we do. From my memory it was seen as a surprise that Wigan cut him so early and people were saying it could be a Shaun Briscoe situation where he came back to make them regret it. He looked like he had potential, good footwork, fast and brave. We gave him chance after chance after chance to develop with more time in the first team and he never seemed to improve much. He was good at what he was good at - running the ball out of dummy half early in the tackle count and making some yards to take the pressure off the forwards. But he never offered much else. He reminded me of Dean Gaskell a decade earlier. After Price came in he was shifted out pretty quickly.

3. Mitchell Dodds
Feels harsh to put him this highly on the bust list as it wasn't his fault. Seemed like an impressive signing when we got him, as he had a good reputation at Brisbane Broncos but suffered an awful broken leg at the start of his career here and that ended his career as a first teamer in the top level of professional RL. I don't think he played an NRL first team game again after he returned home. A sad situation for us and for him.

2. Tyrone Roberts
With hindsight this was a massively overhyped signing considering his NRL pedigree. He'd been halfback of two struggling teams and never made a major impact in the NRL. He had a good highlight reel montage which showed a few tricks, which probably generated the hype. People were touting him as a 'Man of Steel contender' when we signed him. I was down in Aus that off season for the Ashes and World Cup and the Aussie fans who I chatted to were surprised that he was considered a significant signing, their verdict was he was a so-so player who had never come close to being in the top tier over there. He probably had one significant game for us - the CC quarter final when we beat Wigan 23-0. Other than that, he maybe wasn't as bad as some made out, he wasn't prone to making lots of errors, he just shifted the ball about from side to side and never really showed any gamebreaking threat.

1. Roy Asotasi
I had a bad feeling about this signing when he was supposed to be Samoa captain for the 2013 world cup and did a no-show for training camp. This was a classic example of signing a player based on his form of a few years earlier and missing signs that he was on a steep decline. He'd been one of the drivers of Souths revival and he'd been consistently one of the top 3 or so props in the NRL. We signed him to replace Morley who we had allowed to go to Salford after seeing that Morley wasn't the same player in his last season, and we were right judging by his Salford form. But we'd missed exactly the same thing happening with Asotasi hence Souths being willing to ship him on to us. And whereas Morley at least kept running it in as hard as he could for a couple of years with his home town club, Asotasi was expensive passenger and gave off the impression that he was going through the motions in his Wire career.

I wouldn't have added Ryan Bailey or Mitchell dods in this list to be honest. Dodds can't really be classed as a bust as there was no hype or expection from him at all. He was a pretty much unknown panic buy who broke his leg about 10 mins in to his second game. I get what your saying but i'd class a bust as someone with a reputation and people thought was going to do well over here and didn't live up to the hype.
Bailey was well on his way out and no super league team wanted him, he was never a great prop just a squad filler surrounded by great players. I don't think anyone had any expectations of him other than to add depth.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4534
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 21:272nd Jun 24 21:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:03 pm  
Or thane wrote:
I wouldn't have added Ryan Bailey or Mitchell dods in this list to be honest. Dodds can't really be classed as a bust as there was no hype or expection from him at all. He was a pretty much unknown panic buy who broke his leg about 10 mins in to his second game. I get what your saying but i'd class a bust as someone with a reputation and people thought was going to do well over here and didn't live up to the hype.
Bailey was well on his way out and no super league team wanted him, he was never a great prop just a squad filler surrounded by great players. I don't think anyone had any expectations of him other than to add depth.

I think Gary Wheeler fits into this category although I seem to remember the Duck touting him as a potential world beater!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17062
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 00:152nd Jun 24 13:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Wire team of the 2010s : Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm  
Redvee69 wrote:
Stop clutching at straws the premiership was an end of season kickabout, the champions had already been decided, wire won the premiership competition in 1986 halifax were rugby league champions

Call it as you want. But the top 8 GF and the Premiership was identical in all but sponsors and name.
PreviousNext