Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Price out : Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:33 pm  
Dezzies_right_hook wrote:
Yes but he has coached Williams from being 15/16 same with many others he is a Wigan legend. He won't have a lot of what brought him success at Wigan coming to Warrington.

Coming to Warrington I don't think he would have that same effect. I do think it's what the he side need. He would do a good job at getting rid of dead wood tho.

I just don't get how people think that wane will bring success to any dude he coaches.

I like Wane a lot but I also think this is true.

His success at Wigan might well have been the product of a whole system and positive culture, of which he was part, which created a team of winners, rather than Wane being an individual that drove it all.

On the field you could say O'Loughlin was a similar influence but if we signed him you wouldn't expect us to be instantly Grand Final contenders.

By all means bring Wane in but I think we'd need to bring a lot more features of the Wigan model in to the club too.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4639No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years139th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 16:4116th May 24 11:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:54 pm  
The other question that would be interesting to hear is why did he leave ? From all accounts he wanted to remain at Wigan, and of course he didn't leave because he was lured away by an offer 'he couldn't refuse'. Unless he had issues with his private life that would suggest he was pushed out by IL.
RankPostsTeam
International Star858
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 22 201212 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 15:1823rd Apr 24 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:56 pm  
ratticusfinch wrote:
Well to be fair to Wigan theyve won enough titles to want any more to be won via a decent style. Whereas we would quite happily take a GF win if it meant winning the majority of our remaining games 4-0.

Agree with this to a point. For a first GF win forget the extravagance of a 4-0, I would settle for a 1-0 DG from Sita at OT
RankPostsTeam
International Star2482
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 31 201410 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 15:3918th Apr 24 20:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:26 pm  
Winslade's Offload wrote:
The other question that would be interesting to hear is why did he leave ? From all accounts he wanted to remain at Wigan, and of course he didn't leave because he was lured away by an offer 'he couldn't refuse'. Unless he had issues with his private life that would suggest he was pushed out by IL.

Hardaker signing?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29358
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 11:5817th May 24 09:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:56 am  
newgroundb4wakey wrote:
Hardaker signing?

No. He confirmed he was a big Hardaker fan and was looking forward to working with him.

It’s a bit of guesswork but I think he’d become frustrated at a lack of control over the ins and outs of players, with Radlinski and Lenagan calling the shots. I don’t think he was happy about Sam Tomkins leaving, after accepting them moving McIlorum on the year before. Add in Bateman and Sutton moving on and replacements coming in from the championship for these players like Sammut and Bullock and I think he’d had enough. Lenagan did speak at a fans forum saying we wanted to change our style of play also, so if they asked Wane to do that, whilst losing his two best players, you can understand the frustration.

Weirdly since he left we’ve started spending again. He’d love this squad to work with I’m sure.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17021
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years75th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 12:1517th May 24 12:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:45 am  
Lord Tony Smith wrote:
His record speaks for itself really. A three time Grand Final winner and a Challenge Cup winner coaching a Wigan team that, on paper, was not full of superstars. Whilst his style of play is not the prettiest on the eye, his teams are tough, hard and never say die attitude. The bloke is just a born winner who commands respect. His players would seemingly run through brick walls for him. I really couldn’t care how we played if won the GF and we were successful.

4500 lost fans over his reign don’t seem to agree. They went down from over 16000 to less than 12000.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2482
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 31 201410 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 15:3918th Apr 24 20:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
No. He confirmed he was a big Hardaker fan and was looking forward to working with him.

It’s a bit of guesswork but I think he’d become frustrated at a lack of control over the ins and outs of players, with Radlinski and Lenagan calling the shots. I don’t think he was happy about Sam Tomkins leaving, after accepting them moving McIlorum on the year before. Add in Bateman and Sutton moving on and replacements coming in from the championship for these players like Sammut and Bullock and I think he’d had enough. Lenagan did speak at a fans forum saying we wanted to change our style of play also, so if they asked Wane to do that, whilst losing his two best players, you can understand the frustration.

Weirdly since he left we’ve started spending again. He’d love this squad to work with I’m sure.

Put like that it makes sense. On the spending issue it seems to be the same at Leeds since McDermott left.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9638
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 200915 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 24 19:0713th May 24 18:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:

Wasn't there open and public flirting with Sean Edwards?

That cant have going down well with him, after everything he had won... Must have felt like his position was being undermined... Also i remember the Wigan forum being anti-wane for quite a while... I think you went on to win the Grand final that year as well.

Fans not happy with your brand of rugby, senior members of the club openly courting Edwards... I think the decision was more forced than anything.... he didn't really have any other option than holding his hands up and walking away.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29358
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 11:5817th May 24 09:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:13 pm  
morleys_deckchair wrote:
Wasn't there open and public flirting with Sean Edwards?

That cant have going down well with him, after everything he had won... Must have felt like his position was being undermined... Also i remember the Wigan forum being anti-wane for quite a while... I think you went on to win the Grand final that year as well.

Fans not happy with your brand of rugby, senior members of the club openly courting Edwards... I think the decision was more forced than anything.... he didn't really have any other option than holding his hands up and walking away.

I don’t recall any talk of us approaching anyone prior to Wane calling it quits. He announced he was leaving in the May and it was August before Edwards was announced. I wouldn’t be surprised if there had been any talks with Edwards but I certainly don’t remember it being a rumour. The Wane exit took everyone by surprise (including the players by all accounts).

As for the fans, Wanes style of play won’t get you salivating at the prospect of watching it every week but when you’re sat at Old Trafford watching your team win another trophy, you soon forgot how you got there. A lot of the people that bagged Wane said that our style of play would automatically improve with him gone, yet if anything it was worse last season. It looks miles better this year but then Lam has been given Bevan French, Jackson Hastings and a much bigger pack to work with. I always felt Wane played the hand he was dealt somewhat. In 2012 when he had an unstoppable Sam Tomkins and Gareth Hock, the rugby was a joy to watch (although funnily enough we didn’t win anything) but he never had a squad as talented as that again, so he won things with a side that would fight and scrap for every inch and grind out results.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9638
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 200915 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 24 19:0713th May 24 18:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Price out : Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:18 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
I don’t recall any talk of us approaching anyone prior to Wane calling it quits. He announced he was leaving in the May and it was August before Edwards was announced. I wouldn’t be surprised if there had been any talks with Edwards but I certainly don’t remember it being a rumour. The Wane exit took everyone by surprise (including the players by all accounts).

As for the fans, Wanes style of play won’t get you salivating at the prospect of watching it every week but when you’re sat at Old Trafford watching your team win another trophy, you soon forgot how you got there. A lot of the people that bagged Wane said that our style of play would automatically improve with him gone, yet if anything it was worse last season. It looks miles better this year but then Lam has been given Bevan French, Jackson Hastings and a much bigger pack to work with. I always felt Wane played the hand he was dealt somewhat. In 2012 when he had an unstoppable Sam Tomkins and Gareth Hock, the rugby was a joy to watch (although funnily enough we didn’t win anything) but he never had a squad as talented as that again, so he won things with a side that would fight and scrap for every inch and grind out results.

I always thought it was the other way around, with the Edwards thing coming before the Wane announcement... im sure i remember there being strong rumours well before... it's probably my memory though.. i cant remember what i had to tea 2 days ago.
PreviousNext