Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
All this misty eyed nostalgia over some bang average players ;) . Morley spent his best years in Australia, Monaghan and Clark are in the world class bracket, Carvell, Harrison, L.Anderson, Westwood, Hill and Cooper are all just run of the mill/good Super League players.

How would you assess our current squad that people think is breaking the salary cap because of all the world class stars we have.

How many are in the world class bracket and how many are in the Westwood, Hill run of the mill standard.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7985No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 201014 years47th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 04:022nd Jun 24 18:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
It may well be factually incorrect. But there aren't many clubs using all the allowances and you seem to be. I don't recall Saints or Wigan making any use of the Union exemption for example. You also have 3 players that must be in the top 5 earners in Super League in Austin, Widdop and Inglis, with the other two being SBW and Leutele from Toronto.

Are the actual total player salaries published anywhere?

Saints and Wigan haven't used the union exemption, simply because they haven't signed a union player since that rule came in. In fact, Burrell has been the only notable union convert (bar that "whopper" forward that Wigan bought... wasn't that him involved in a golf buggy incident) since union went professional (iirc).
Oh, and I don't recall Wire breaking salary cap allowances, unlike two certain teams wink
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 20159 years78th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 22:342nd Jun 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 1:59 pm  
[code][/code]
Saddened! wrote:
It may well be factually incorrect. But there aren't many clubs using all the allowances and you seem to be. I don't recall Saints or Wigan making any use of the Union exemption for example. You also have 3 players that must be in the top 5 earners in Super League in Austin, Widdop and Inglis, with the other two being SBW and Leutele from Toronto.

I don't think they are published anywhere as a mans wage is private, i genuinely don't think Inglis will be on a MASSIVE wage. BMM is on a big wage but not Marquee level and i think that will be a near enough swap. You also have the fact Inglis wants to play again after taking a break physically and mentally. Theres the attraction of playing in a new comp, in a difderent part of the world, where he has the chance to travel around (barring Covid) so there's alot to offer other than just a mega wage.
Bryson Goodwin and Jason clark travelled/travels all over Europe as it's close and not something Aussie players can do really. I genuinely don't think he's come over for a pay day as if he had put his hand up to play in the NRL next year he would get a bigger wage than over here.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4206
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200717 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st May 24 14:5231st May 24 14:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Saints and Wigan haven't used the union exemption, simply because they haven't signed a union player since that rule came in. In fact, Burrell has been the only notable union convert (bar that "whopper" forward that Wigan bought... wasn't that him involved in a golf buggy incident) since union went professional (iirc).
Oh, and I don't recall Wire breaking salary cap allowances, unlike two certain teams wink

Wigan did sign Gareth Thomas just after he came out of the closet. Whatever happened to the film that they were going to make?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:3626th Apr 24 14:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
How would you assess our current squad that people think is breaking the salary cap because of all the world class stars we have.

How many are in the world class bracket and how many are in the Westwood, Hill run of the mill standard.

In regards to the NRL or the best teams in Super League, not particularly highly as the standards have dropped dramatically. But when you compare them to the current SL sides, you're doing very well to have all the players you do for the money you are paying. GI, if he's even a fraction of his former self will be the best in SL next season, D Clark is world class. Ratchford, Charnley, Austin, Widdop, Hill, Cooper, Hughes, BMM, Philbin, Lineham, Currie, J Clark for me all fall into that category of good/very good Super League players and likely to be on big money, but not world class individually. A lot of trash still kicking about though with the likes of Akauolo, Mamo, Patton, Gelling, Burrell etc. Ashton a potential superstar and NRL bound if he develops.

I think this season would have ended up with Saints top and Warrington second had a normal season ensued, with the caveat that our coach may well be a dud and we might have been having a terrible season by now. In terms of the quality of players I'd still put Saints over Warrington (We walked Super League last season) but with the gap slashed due to Holbrook leaving, with Wigan and Cas making up the top four. You could well have beaten us at OT.

Next season if you just add Inglis and replace BMM with an equivalent or better you could well swap places with us. We've got 5 forwards out of contract, so a lot will depend on what is available and whether any of them stay. Rumours of LMS to London, Ashworth to Cas, Peyroux to the NRL, Amor to Wakefield and Taia retiring. I'm not sure if it'll be a difficult time to persuade players to move clubs given the uncertainty the virus has created, or whether there will be clubs looking to cut wages and a wave of players resisting that and looking to move.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4534
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 21:272nd Jun 24 21:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:20 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
In regards to the NRL or the best teams in Super League, not particularly highly as the standards have dropped dramatically. But when you compare them to the current SL sides, you're doing very well to have all the players you do for the money you are paying. GI, if he's even a fraction of his former self will be the best in SL next season, D Clark is world class. Ratchford, Charnley, Austin, Widdop, Hill, Cooper, Hughes, BMM, Philbin, Lineham, Currie, J Clark for me all fall into that category of good/very good Super League players and likely to be on big money, but not world class individually. A lot of trash still kicking about though with the likes of Akauolo, Mamo, Patton, Gelling, Burrell etc. Ashton a potential superstar and NRL bound if he develops.

I think this season would have ended up with Saints top and Warrington second had a normal season ensued, with the caveat that our coach may well be a dud and we might have been having a terrible season by now. In terms of the quality of players I'd still put Saints over Warrington (We walked Super League last season) but with the gap slashed due to Holbrook leaving, with Wigan and Cas making up the top four. You could well have beaten us at OT.

Next season if you just add Inglis and replace BMM with an equivalent or better you could well swap places with us. We've got 5 forwards out of contract, so a lot will depend on what is available and whether any of them stay. Rumours of LMS to London, Ashworth to Cas, Peyroux to the NRL, Amor to Wakefield and Taia retiring. I'm not sure if it'll be a difficult time to persuade players to move clubs given the uncertainty the virus has created, or whether there will be clubs looking to cut wages and a wave of players resisting that and looking to move.

So the forwards mentioned earlier are nothing to write home about and you raise the fact that next season you will possibly lose LMS never more than adequate albeit a world class wind up merchant, Ashworth (who?), Amor (1.5 decent seasons) Peyroux (slagged off by your own fans for most of his time with you).
Thompson obviously will be a big loss and Roby clearly in decline and will need to be replaced at great expense if at all. Judging by the early part of the season Woolfe may be casting his eye over WWE for future recruits. Your continuing concern over the Wire remains touching though.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16254
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:4620th May 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:45 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
You also have 3 players that must be in the top 5 earners in Super League in Austin, Widdop and Inglis, with the other two being SBW and Leutele from Toronto.

Surely you must know where they are published as you have told us the top 5? :EH:
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16254
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:4620th May 24 20:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:48 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:
Your continuing concern over the Wire remains touching though.

I think Saddened's assessment of the current squad is pretty accurate, although he underrates the TS era players.
You can also see from the way he says we might beat them at OT, that Saints are a bit nervous after the 2018 playoff semi and 2019 CC final, of getting turned over by us in a big game.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:50 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:
So the forwards mentioned earlier are nothing to write home about and you raise the fact that next season you will possibly lose LMS never more than adequate albeit a world class wind up merchant, Ashworth (who?), Amor (1.5 decent seasons) Peyroux (slagged off by your own fans for most of his time with you).
Thompson obviously will be a big loss and Roby clearly in decline and will need to be replaced at great expense if at all. Judging by the early part of the season Woolfe may be casting his eye over WWE for future recruits. Your continuing concern over the Wire remains touching though.

LMS is massively underrated. Brilliant for us over the last few years and we'll miss him. Ashworth hasn't quite proven himself, but is one of those who might come back to bite us as he has the size and power and just lacks consistency. Amor is the kind of prop every successful side has. Rarely gets injured, never complains if he's dropped, but just does the dirty stuff really consistently and probably on peanuts too. Peyroux has been arguably the best back rower in Super League since the day Holbrook arrived. Taia's contribution is massive too, another huge chunk of work for someone else to do when he leaves. Personally I'd keep them all, I don't see us replacing any of them with better players.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Greg inglis CONFIRMED : Wed May 27, 2020 4:54 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
Surely you must know where they are published as you have told us the top 5? :EH:

I was on about the totals per club, not individual salaries. I bet I'm not far off with that top five, possibly Burgess at Wigan might be in there. Someone do some digging, the sport needs a good Excel based scandal.
PreviousNext