WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Hull FC + Covid

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Hull FC + Covid

Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:50 am  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Lord Tony Smith wrote:
It just makes our whole competition look amateurish. When you compare it to the NRL, football and cricket etc, these athletes have been told to live in a 'bubble'. Why the hell hasn't that been the case in SL? You go on Instagram over the weekend and you see from players stories that Hull players are in a payers garden all having a drink together, it makes a mockery of the competition. Hasn't Jofra Archer been banned for breaking quarantine rules by simply nipping to his flat and not being in contact with anyone? You see Pangai at the Broncos potentially facing the sack for going for a haircut. In the Premier League they were carrying out over a 1000 tests per week for 8 weeks and I don't think there were more than 5 positive tests. In my opinion, players are just putting theirs and other livelihoods at risk over a drink with their mates. It's not just Hull by the way, Blake Austin went to Anfield when Liverpool were lifting the trophy, the Wigan lads have been out in Manchester etc but when you hear Tom Lineham come out with these conspiracy theories and his love for Johnson and Trump you kind of half expect something like this to happen given most RL players are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Austin was made to sit out training as a result of his indiscretion, I don't know if he was fined. I believe in the NRL you are forced to quarantine for 14 days for any breach - so the punishments are more severe. Pangai I think has been stood down indefinitely for multiple breaches of restrictions, rather than a one off visit to a barbers. I agree any players breaking COVID restrictions need to be stood down and fined, but meeting in a garden for a few beers or having a beer outside a bar is not breaking guidelines. In Australia I think the state governments have put in stricter measures than the UK and travel between states for example is banned (hence the need for a player bubble).

I have no idea what the rules are for Premier League players set by the League or the Clubs, do they have to follow stricter measures than the government?

Australia is different to the UK, I believe interstate travel is banned so bubbles of players had to be set up. No such restrictions exist in the UK, I can't see it as possible for players to isolate from their families for the next 3 months and I'm not sure the clubs could afford it either way.
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm  
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
Are you suggesting that squads and their entourage be imprisoned together for the length of the season and to be isolated from their families for that time?

If not, then I can't see how anyone can be 100% risk free from catching the virus?

I'm saying that the protocols in place need to be much tougher and yes players need to make more sacrifices or risk losing their livelihoods.

If the procedures under which SL has restarted allow players (and other members of their households, to go out shopping, and go on the lash with their mates to pubs then we were doomed from the start).
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:10 pm  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
Are you suggesting that squads and their entourage be imprisoned together for the length of the season and to be isolated from their families for that time?

If not, then I can't see how anyone can be 100% risk free from catching the virus?

Have you seen what the nba has done? its moved 22 teams to Disney world/land in florida, without families in order for them to finish their season in fully enclosed bubble.
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:12 pm  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
Have you seen what the nba has done? its moved 22 teams to Disney world/land in florida, without families in order for them to finish their season in fully enclosed bubble.

I don't think SL clubs could afford to pay their players to stay in Camelot, nevermind anywhere else!
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:21 pm  

Paul Youane wrote:
Paul Youane Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Lord Tony Smith wrote:
I'm saying that the protocols in place need to be much tougher and yes players need to make more sacrifices or risk losing their livelihoods.

If the procedures under which SL has restarted allow players (and other members of their households, to go out shopping, and go on the lash with their mates to pubs then we were doomed from the start).

I presume you're suggesting the same would apply to anybody in employment?

Why should Super league players, many of whom are not well paid, make multiple more times sacrifices in respect to Covid as the rest of society.

I doubt you have any idea about the restrictions that are in place anyway. The fact no positive tests for Salford players suggests that the RFL's precautions worked well in preventing spread beyond the Hull bubble.
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:00 pm  
St Helens Wolf Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

The report in the Warrington Guardian suggests that the source of the outbreak was a player needing to take their baby to hospital.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/18645725.likely-cause-hull-fc-coronavirus-infection-revealed/
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 pm  

fez1 wrote:
fez1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Getting very close to the season being scuppered in my view.

Stupidity of some players matches the stupidity of some of the general public with respect to adhering to the national guidelines.

Will they ever learn?
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:27 pm  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Free-scoring winger

fez1 wrote:
Getting very close to the season being scuppered in my view.

Stupidity of some players matches the stupidity of some of the general public with respect to adhering to the national guidelines.

Will they ever learn?

We don't know whether any Hull FC player has broken guidelines at this stage, this article suggests there was no wrong doing.

https://www.totalrl.com/hull-fc-owner-l ... -outbreak/

Only if this becomes a weekly occurrence will the season be scuppered, looks like Super League are rearranging fixtures so that the impact on the fixture list is minimised.

Hopefully this can be used as an example for the clubs and players that it hasn't gone anywhere and everyone needs to remain vigilant.
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 pm  

Or thane wrote:
Or thane Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Alffi_7 wrote:
I don't think SL clubs could afford to pay their players to stay in Camelot, nevermind anywhere else!

Ha ha ha ha ha this Made me laugh so much :lol: :lol:
Re: Hull FC + Covid Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 pm  
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Paul Youane wrote:
I presume you're suggesting the same would apply to anybody in employment?

Why should Super league players, many of whom are not well paid, make multiple more times sacrifices in respect to Covid as the rest of society.

I doubt you have any idea about the restrictions that are in place anyway. The fact no positive tests for Salford players suggests that the RFL's precautions worked well in preventing spread beyond the Hull bubble.

So you have no problem with Blake Austin going to Anfield partying with thousands of supporters during lockdown? The club disagree.

Lets get real here, I'm not asking players to give up their families or donate their organs. I'm simply suggesting they use a bit of common sense and make small sacrifices such as maybe not going on the ale with their mates or going to football stadiums and celebrating title wins.

Would be great if you could enlighten me on these restrictions. Given I don't work for the RFL or a SL club you'd be absolutely right to say I do not know what restrictions are in place but given that we have had 6 positive tests after week one it would be fair to say that these 'restrictions' aren't looking particularly serviceable to me.
PreviousNext