Mar 01 200222 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 10:1520th May 24 12:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 pm  
Smiffy27 wrote:
Come on Lord Tony ... you seem to be going over the top. Relax ... it's not any easy time for anyone.

I've said this for years (and this isn't aimed at LTS) we've got a bunch of fans, on here and especially on twitter that moan and complain about anything and everything, regardless of whats going on, Never talk up the good times and when things go crap as things can sometimes do, are the first and loudest to jump up and say "I TOLD YOU SO" even if we've had 4/5 years of relative success.

a stopped clock is right twice a day.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17022
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 05:2218th May 24 07:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Widdop’s family : Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 pm  
I see nothing bad about Widdop’s game. I saw only a weak pack throughout much of 2020. We’ve had some of the greatest half’s in the world from Aus, their results flattered.
I can’t wait to see a left side of Widdop, off a heavy front row, surrounded by Currie, Inglis and Lineham. If that does put the jitters up you, cancel your subscription to view of Most Haunted.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 20159 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th May 24 20:3020th May 24 14:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:22 am  
rubber duckie wrote:
I see nothing bad about Widdop’s game. I saw only a weak pack throughout much of 2020. We’ve had some of the greatest half’s in the world from Aus, their results flattered.
I can’t wait to see a left side of Widdop, off a heavy front row, surrounded by Currie, Inglis and Lineham. If that does put the jitters up you, cancel your subscription to view of Most Haunted.

Yeah i'm excited for this season, I've finally got a team that i'm happy with the forward pack, the backs are Quality and our halves are Quality. One of those things were the majority of the squad weren't playing well so to continually pin point Widdop, who most games had nobody backing him up, nobody running angles for him etc is odd and a forward pack living off Hill and Cooper. I'm very Happy we've brought in Mulhern and Butler and genuinely think they will spark us in to life forward wise and are exactly what we need. This season for me now will be down to how the boys are coached and how are attacking plays are set up. COYW!!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4512
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 07:0120th May 24 14:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 am  
I appreciate we are way off topic by now but I wonder if the strengthening of the prop position will make our 20 metre out attack more effective?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17022
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 05:2218th May 24 07:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:50 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:
I appreciate we are way off topic by now but I wonder if the strengthening of the prop position will make our 20 metre out attack more effective?

Well we all like to see length of the field tries, but let’s be honest, they don’t happen often, you could count them on one or two hands through SL in a season.
If we are often within 20 meters with tackles in the bag, I can assure you, we’ll be winning more games than constantly defending our own line, burning up energy with repeated tackling, while we will waiting for that line break that has the field chasing for 60 odd plus meters.

The modern game is, play most of the rugby in your opponent’s half, and it’s more than likely you’ll come out the winner.
Last edited by rubber duckie on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4640No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years141st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 12:3020th May 24 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:

Presumably Hill and Coops will be a bit fresher in the 2nd half after being spelled by two genuine bench props, but it seemed to me that we were stagnant from 10-20 yards out due to a lack of ideas and practiced moves.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach829No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 200915 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 15:4317th May 24 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm  
I put myself through the pain of watching the highlights of the 2018 GF the other day. One thing I noticed amongst lots of interesting things was that for Wigans last try was their ability to create a 5 on 4 situation for Manfredi to score.
All down to Tomkins turning up on their right sided attack.
We have discussed the lack of chances that we create for Charnley and there are other reasons but I think opponents know that Ratch hardly ever pops up on the right edge and therefore the defence will always number up correctly so it can be relatively easy to defend against us if the numbers are always right.
In terms of the new props our drop off in intensity when the starting front row has a rest has been noticeable for years, back to Hill and Sims. Teams have had the chance to come back at us and we have been unable to keep the momentum and are often back peddling waiting for Hill and Cooper to come back on, so if the new props can keep the momentum in attack and minimise in the drop off in defence then I am sure that will help to create opportunities.
Another plus for our attack will be Toby King to right centre, he reads a game really well and knows when to pass.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4209No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 20186 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th May 24 11:5014th May 24 11:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:01 pm  
Deus Dat Incrementum wrote:
I put myself through the pain of watching the highlights of the 2018 GF the other day. One thing I noticed amongst lots of interesting things was that for Wigans last try was their ability to create a 5 on 4 situation for Manfredi to score.
All down to Tomkins turning up on their right sided attack.
We have discussed the lack of chances that we create for Charnley and there are other reasons but I think opponents know that Ratch hardly ever pops up on the right edge and therefore the defence will always number up correctly so it can be relatively easy to defend against us if the numbers are always right.
In terms of the new props our drop off in intensity when the starting front row has a rest has been noticeable for years, back to Hill and Sims. Teams have had the chance to come back at us and we have been unable to keep the momentum and are often back peddling waiting for Hill and Cooper to come back on, so if the new props can keep the momentum in attack and minimise in the drop off in defence then I am sure that will help to create opportunities.
Another plus for our attack will be Toby King to right centre, he reads a game really well and knows when to pass.

A good point, as I've seen Ashton pop up on the right, make an extra man and contribute to a score. It's not only Ratch attacking the opponents left side of defence, but both half backs could appear there at the same time. Same said about attacking the opponents right side of defence. We just didn't look like we could put on any sort of a move in 2020.
CW8 
RankPostsTeam
International Star3940
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 15 201311 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th May 24 05:1717th May 24 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:59 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:

For the time being all we have strengthened is the depth of the pack. We won't know if the pack is actually strengthened until we see how Butler and mulhern fit in and to a degree how sita and doro respond to their arrivals. On paper Crosby was a good signing to strengthen our pack but it didn't work out and the same could happen with both of our new arrivals.

We can definitely keep Hill, Cooper and philbin fresher but we need one of the new arrivals to fit straight in and make an immediate impact which should happen, but we have been burnt before and there are lots of threads on here criticising the success of the clubs recruitment over the past decade or so. I really hope they both go well they have lots of potential, we could do with them being the signings to replace hill and Cooper in the long term, let's hope they are.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39405
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 10:1520th May 24 12:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widdop’s family : Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:48 am  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
Do they? How come theyve signed bodene thompson as a 'middle' ?

Leeds have struggled to replace peacock since his retirement, singleton was an ok bench prop, they've kept on with cuthbertson way past his best, garbutt was good but injured a lot, they brought Merrin over, an international backrow and played him at prop.

Theyve done alright with prior this year buy he's a workhorse tackler more than a go forward prop.

As I've said a few weeks back, prop/middle is a massive recruitment struggle for all teams

Just to bring this back up, if you have a look around the boards, still some stress regarding props, leeds obviously have brought tetavano in on a wedge, but they've also followed that up with signing an absolute nobody.

Wakefield fans are still scrabbling about thinking they're a prop or 2 short and hoping that battye becomes available.

And wigan fans are doing their nut that they've still got clubb, clark and burgess, and not got much firepower up front at all., as i said a while back it seems to be a very difficult position to recruit (well) in, almost as difficult has halfback.

Whilst the 2 we've brought in aren't international world beaters, we may have done some smart business, just in being able to get them in.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Warrington Wolves

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shay rent
Trustafox
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
BORED The Band Name Game