FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - TV games (not Wire)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member27083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201311 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:488th May 24 21:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am  
Captain Hook wrote:
Can’t make up my mind who is as player of the match for Saints…
Toss up between Bibby and Connor.
Think Connor will never be selected by Wane following that display, can you imagine the Aussies winding him up?

With a centre on the bench (Sam Halsall), Watson should have substituted Bibby when he started with his brain farts.

It cost Huddersfield the game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4501
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 17:218th May 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:26 am  
100% Wire wrote:
Regardless of how they got it done... they got it done. Something which we've lacked in recent years. Hopefully the Leigh game proved we can manage to do it as well.

I can see a Saints supporter taking that view but given what was on show yesterday I can’t see any positives in that Saints performance (other than the 2 points). Looks like they would struggle to score on their wedding night.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39380
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:168th May 24 13:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am  
Captain Hook wrote:
Can’t make up my mind who is as player of the match for Saints…
Toss up between Bibby and Connor.
Think Connor will never be selected by Wane following that display, can you imagine the Aussies winding him up?

i dislike connor as much as the next person that dislikes him*(its a long list) but he was right to be agrieved, if thats liam watts or anyone with a questionable suspension record, that gets pulled up, both occasions.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2836
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 09 20159 years76th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:482nd May 24 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am  
Saints dominance in defence (and so territory) and response to going 12 down was impressive, Knowles especially lead from the front for them and was very aggressive. Huddersfield's attempts to spread the ball wide was the correct one, but they struggled to execute it.

I'd be very concerned if I was a Saints fan though, that a team consisting of Welsby, Lomax, Percival, Makinson, even Hurrell and Blake offer so little attacking threat. They can't rely on defence alone to beat the likes of Wigan & Catalan, I don't think Wellens is the answer for them, either that, or they need to find centres with much more attacking threat - pace.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4501
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 17:218th May 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
i dislike connor as much as the next person that dislikes him*(its a long list) but he was right to be agrieved, if thats liam watts or anyone with a questionable suspension record, that gets pulled up, both occasions.

It was the turning his back in play while he moaned that was my issue with it. I agree that he had reason for complaint but he cost his team mates by the way he did it!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years99th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 15:2226th Apr 24 14:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm  
Alffi_7 wrote:
I'd be very concerned if I was a Saints fan though, that a team consisting of Welsby, Lomax, Percival, Makinson, even Hurrell and Blake offer so little attacking threat. They can't rely on defence alone to beat the likes of Wigan & Catalan, I don't think Wellens is the answer for them, either that, or they need to find centres with much more attacking threat - pace.

We've won four of the last five titles, we don't need to be very concerned. We're realistic and most Saints fans can see we've not got a coach capable of winning a SL title and an ageing squad with one or two glaring weaknesses (Plus having no Walmsley and Paasi for another 8-16 weeks).The pace issue we could fix in an instant, but Wellens is very stuck in the mud about his favourites and until he's sacked the dross like Bennison will continue to play. We've got about five or six highly rated academy players that are going to be coming through over the next 12 months so this barren spell can turn around very quickly if we make one or two clever overseas signings at the end of the season. Blake and Hurrell are both going and there are strong rumours Makinson might be headed for a 2 year stint in Sam Tomkins' place in France, so the backline could be entirely different very quickly.

Our defense is outstanding generally and it is good enough to beat Wigan, it's good enough to batter them physically, as we saw on Good Friday. We'll fall short though as we only have that approach and as you proved if a team can score more than twice, we're toast. Huddersfield could have done what you did to us too, but they weren't brave enough and preferred trying to slow the game to a crawl with an hour to play when they could easily have carried on scoring points.I imagine Hull KR will have fun next week though. Best thing we could do is get a coach in to work on the attack, they don't even need to embarass Wellens by announcing that, they don't even have to announce it at all.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5234
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years124th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 18:298th May 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
We've won four of the last five titles, we don't need to be very concerned. We're realistic and most Saints fans can see we've not got a coach capable of winning a SL title and an ageing squad with one or two glaring weaknesses (Plus having no Walmsley and Paasi for another 8-16 weeks).The pace issue we could fix in an instant, but Wellens is very stuck in the mud about his favourites and until he's sacked the dross like Bennison will continue to play. We've got about five or six highly rated academy players that are going to be coming through over the next 12 months so this barren spell can turn around very quickly if we make one or two clever overseas signings at the end of the season. Blake and Hurrell are both going and there are strong rumours Makinson might be headed for a 2 year stint in Sam Tomkins' place in France, so the backline could be entirely different very quickly.

Our defense is outstanding generally and it is good enough to beat a 12 man Wigan, it's good enough to batter them physically, as we saw on Good Friday. We'll fall short though as we only have that approach and as you proved if a team can score more than twice, we're toast. Huddersfield could have done what you did to us too, but they weren't brave enough and preferred trying to slow the game to a crawl with an hour to play when they could easily have carried on scoring points.I imagine Hull KR will have fun next week though. Best thing we could do is get a coach in to work on the attack, they don't even need to embarass Wellens by announcing that, they don't even have to announce it at all.

Just corrected your post for you mate.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years99th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 15:2226th Apr 24 14:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:06 pm  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:

He's not right to be agrieved, he had no right to have his hands all over Knowles and every player in SL would have pushed him off. He spent all night doing that, he had several run ins with Moore. He tried the same trick a few times and dived a couple when tackled himself and Moore was having a running battle with him. There was a square up with Clark and Connor before it and Moore run away from that literally wagging his finger saying 'It's you' to Connor as he pleaded for a card for Clark. Clune was also doing it, pushing Saints players after the tackle a couple of times. I think winding us up was part of their gameplan.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39380
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm  
Saddened! wrote:

Our defense is outstanding generally and it is good enough to beat Wigan, it's good enough to batter them physically, as we saw on Good Friday. We'll fall short though as we only have that approach and as you proved if a team can score more than twice, we're toast. Huddersfield could have done what you did to us too, but they weren't brave enough and preferred trying to slow the game to a crawl with an hour to play when they could easily have carried on scoring points.I imagine Hull KR will have fun next week though. Best thing we could do is get a coach in to work on the attack, they don't even need to embarass Wellens by announcing that, they don't even have to announce it at all.

Tldr
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39380
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TV games (not Wire) : Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm  
Saddened! wrote:
He's not right to be agrieved, he had no right to have his hands all over Knowles and every player in SL would have pushed him off. He spent all night doing that, he had several run ins with Moore. He tried the same trick a few times and dived a couple when tackled himself and Moore was having a running battle with him. There was a square up with Clark and Connor before it and Moore run away from that literally wagging his finger saying 'It's you' to Connor as he pleaded for a card for Clark. Clune was also doing it, pushing Saints players after the tackle a couple of times. I think winding us up was part of their gameplan.

Also tldr
PreviousNext