JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200519 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jun 24 14:2226th Jun 24 15:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Planning for next season : Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:00 am  
With top 6 looking an increasingly distant possibility, at what point should team selections have more of a reflection on next year's plans?

For example, if we're signing David Armstrong, should Moylan move to 6 now, with McIntosh at full back, allowing Moylan and Lam to link up with a pacy full back behind them? Are the club bringing in two new centres, or planning to promote (e.g. Brand) or move someone (e.g. Hanley) that is already in? If the latter, why not make that switch now? Should everything go through Asiata when he's back, if we don't have a similar 13 coming in?

We've only managed to win 2 games in a row once this season anyway, so not even much to lose.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player258
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20204 years245th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 15:1927th Jun 24 21:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

Re: Planning for next season : Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:30 pm  
It's foot to the pedal for me. The season is not over and we still have a lot to play for.

For me, we have to put our best team out week after week with our best players in their best positions.

We just have too many players leaving at the end of the season to start tinkering now and to start experimenting with remaining players who may, or may not, be starters next season.

I also think the club owes it to the fans to put the strongest available team out week after week.

There's also a big chunk of the season still to play for. Until it is mathematically impossible to qualify then the aim surely still has to be the play-offs.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2375No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200519 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Planning for next season : Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:56 am  
I don't think the two approaches are mutually exclusive. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed by an approach that doesn't see Ed Chamberlain lining up at stand off again.

For best players in their best positions, what is Moylan's best position? If it is full back, then why are we pursuing David Armstrong? There could also be some debate about Ipape's best position. He's not as explosive from dummy half as he was in the Championship, and we've seen him score from first receiver twice in recent weeks, Maybe he should be playing more at 13? I'd certainly like to see more spells where we have both him and Dwyer on.

Ultimately, I think we need to tweak some bits, as we've struggled to score tries since the Salford game. Then we can stick with what works if we're still in with a shout of top 6 in a few weeks time.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain305
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 26 20186 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 14:2828th Jun 24 10:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Planning for next season : Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:58 am  
Jack Gaskell wrote:
It's foot to the pedal for me. The season is not over and we still have a lot to play for.

For me, we have to put our best team out week after week with our best players in their best positions.

We just have too many players leaving at the end of the season to start tinkering now and to start experimenting with remaining players who may, or may not, be starters next season.

I also think the club owes it to the fans to put the strongest available team out week after week.

There's also a big chunk of the season still to play for. Until it is mathematically impossible to qualify then the aim surely still has to be the play-offs.

i dont think the coach knows his best side at the moment thats if hes picking the team. is the loose forward in training or has derek banished him. key players are leaving at year end. have some already left mentally massive rebuilding required and our marquee selections will be crucial we need to maintain or improve our culture. performances have been off all season
its really galling to see two young leigh lads starring for the pies we seem to be signing lads from the teams post them two i hope our new set up means we dont miss anymore
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2375No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200519 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Planning for next season : Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:32 pm  
satanicmills wrote:
i dont think the coach knows his best side at the moment thats if hes picking the team. is the loose forward in training or has derek banished him. key players are leaving at year end. have some already left mentally massive rebuilding required and our marquee selections will be crucial we need to maintain or improve our culture. performances have been off all season
its really galling to see two young leigh lads starring for the pies we seem to be signing lads from the teams post them two i hope our new set up means we dont miss anymore

I doubt Lam would've signed a contract extension if he wasn't picking the team. Asiata has been injured, not banished. Why would the owner pay somebody just to sideline them, while O'Donnell and Amone continue to play?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2375No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200519 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Planning for next season : Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:32 pm  
satanicmills wrote:

I doubt Lam would've signed a contract extension if he wasn't picking the team. Asiata has been injured, not banished. Why would the owner pay somebody just to sideline them, while O'Donnell and Amone continue to play?