JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years188th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:4923rd Mar 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:03 pm  
I have no idea how well we played as I could not get the LCTV commentary to work, but the result is just what we needed.
York (down 20-21 until last minute) and Fev were also run very close. This is a very competative run in.
Next week is again a key set of games. Us v Fev, sheff v York and Tools v Bratford.
Keep it up lads :thumb:
And I look forward to reading opinions of those who made the journey today.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 04 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 20:0726th Oct 20 19:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 pm  
I went today VL and yes whilst far from pretty we ground out a great win.

I thought Woods had a good game at 7 and controlled the game splendidly. A superb pass to put Brierley through for his try and to be fair to young Ryan not many players would have scored that as he managed to beat a number of defenders to the line out wide. Another great pass from Woods led to Forsyths second out wide in the second half.

I thought we looked small and lacking size against a Sheffield pack containing Nathan Mason but Jordan Thompsons introduction give us a bit of added go forward and grunt.

Cory Paterson went well in only his third game since coming out of retirement. Cator was his usual industrious self, as were the Adamsons. Forsythe was a constant menace out wide. Costello stood up very well at FB after Ryan's injury , especially under a late and seemingly constant Sheffield bombardment, as well as him being lively in attack in the number 1 role.

However our ill discipline placed us under huge pressure in the second half and we need to wise up there. It could be argued the ref was lenient with Sheffield at times but I will not comment. Many others did.

Also Brierleys knee was heavily packed with ice after the game and he was still limping going to the coach. He told his Mam later that he heard something crack. Not looking good.
RankPostsTeam
International Star225No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 10 201410 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 16:3512th Jul 23 11:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm  
We were a bit disjointed but a win is a win and it is good to win ugly - especially away from home. Before the game, I personally thought today might be beyond us but the excellent team spirit once again got us through.
The second half penalty count against us seemed to be a very unfair reflection.
However six wins on the bounce must be good for confidence - winning is a great habit.
When we get a bit more fluency some team is soon going to cop a proper good hiding.
Missing Luke Douglas and Gregg McNally would be a problem for any Championship team to live with. Ryan scored a great poachers try but then unfortunately picked up an injury and had to come off.
I am not suggesting Ryan's injury was caused by the dreadful plastic pitch but they should be banned for rugby league use, no matter how many G's they have. The ball bounces like it has hit concrete - Sheffield's trick is to try and catch everything on the full. Apart from the pitch the non existent Sheffield 'stadium' facilities are a shameful disgrace to any professional sport. In fact to use the word stadium in connection with this facility is a joke. To expect female spectators to be using the same disgusting plastic portable cabins as he blokes (just like last year) is also a shameful disgrace - quite apart from the queues waiting to use them. Sheffield is a major UK city and the way it has treated the sport of rugby league in their own back yard has been appalling, for as long as I can remember
Last edited by PlayTheBall on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8663
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200519 years171st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Mar 24 16:3616th Mar 24 23:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:07 pm  
I knew we'd win ! :D
RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 04 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 pm  
Yes the portaloos are atrocious and whilst the ground may not offer much ( I sat on the grass and I would still be sat there, if I was on my own) it is clean , neat and tidy. It also serves real ale (not many stadiums do) and was I told, despite declining a sample, the chips were very good, and plentiful for just a couple of quid.

My point is credit must go to Mark Aston and Sheffield Eagles for not only keeping professional Rugby Leagu in Sheffield, but continuously building a competitive side year in year out on a shoe string with very little support from the Sheffield public.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 04 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 pm  
Budgiezilla wrote:
I knew we'd win ! :D

I never once felt your concern.... From 4.45pm today :-)
Alan 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 20 07:1217th Mar 20 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:34 pm  
Harold Rigby Jnr wrote:
I went today VL and yes whilst far from pretty we ground out a great win.

I thought Woods had a good game at 7 and controlled the game splendidly. A superb pass to put Brierley through for his try and to be fair to young Ryan not many players would have scored that as he managed to beat a number of defenders to the line out wide. Another great pass from Woods led to Forsyths second out wide in the second half.

I thought we looked small and lacking size against a Sheffield pack containing Nathan Mason but Jordan Thompsons introduction give us a bit of added go forward and grunt.

Cory Paterson went well in only his third game since coming out of retirement. Cator was his usual industrious self, as were the Adamsons. Forsythe was a constant menace out wide. Costello stood up very well at FB after Ryan's injury , especially under a late and seemingly constant Sheffield bombardment, as well as him being lively in attack in the number 1 role.

However our ill discipline placed us under huge pressure in the second half and we need to wise up there. It could be argued the ref was lenient with Sheffield at times but I will not comment. Many others did.

Also Brierleys knee was heavily packed with ice after the game and he was still limping going to the coach. He told his Mam later that he heard something crack. Not looking good.

Thanks for the summary Harold. :thumb: I couldn't make it but probably wouldn't have bothered anyway, as I am in agreement with PTB's comments on the next post.
Alan 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 20 07:1217th Mar 20 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:38 pm  
PlayTheBall wrote:
We were a bit disjointed but a win is a win and it is good to win ugly - especially away from home. Before the game, I personally thought today might be beyond us but the excellent team spirit once again got us through.
The second half penalty count against us seemed to be a very unfair reflection.
However six wins on the bounce must be good for confidence - winning is a great habit.
When we get a bit more fluency some team is soon going to cop a proper good hiding.
Missing Luke Douglas and Gregg McNally would be a problem for any Championship team to live with. Ryan scored a great poachers try but then unfortunately picked up an injury and had to come off.
I am not suggesting Ryan's injury was caused by the dreadful plastic pitch but they should be banned for rugby league use, no matter how many G's they have. The ball bounces like it has hit concrete - Sheffield's trick is to try and catch everything on the full. Apart from the pitch the non existent Sheffield 'stadium' facilities are a shameful disgrace to any professional sport. In fact to use the word stadium in connection with this facility is a joke. To expect female spectators to be using the same disgusting plastic portable cabins as he blokes (just like last year) is also a shameful disgrace - quite apart from the queues waiting to use them. Sheffield is a major UK city and the way it has treated the sport of rugby league in their own back yard has been appalling, for as long as I can remember

One of the reasons I didn't go today. At my age, I like a certain degree of comfort, when watching RL, and the current Sheffield stadium isn't fit for purpose - well, my purposes, at any rate.

That said, I am in agreement with Harold, in admiring the way Mark Aston et al, have kept the sport alive in a major, non-caring City.
RankPostsTeam
International Star225No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 10 201410 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 16:3512th Jul 23 11:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:53 pm  
Harold Rigby Jnr wrote:
Yes the portaloos are atrocious and whilst the ground may not offer much ( I sat on the grass and I would still be sat there, if I was on my own) it is clean , neat and tidy. It also serves real ale (not many stadiums do) and was I told, despite declining a sample, the chips were very good, and plentiful for just a couple of quid.

My point is credit must go to Mark Aston and Sheffield Eagles for not only keeping professional Rugby Leagu in Sheffield, but continuously building a competitive side year in year out on a shoe string with very little support from the Sheffield public.

I take your points and as always value your opinion Harold. However, sitting on the grass in pleasant sunshine is one thing but I assure you that watching Sheffield in the pouring rain is not a pleasant experience.
The bit I don't quite get is that we all seem to assume that Sheffield are run on a shoestring. However the likes of Mark Aston, Menzies Yere, QLT etc have stayed for years in what I assume has been 'satisfactory' full time employment, when they could haven taken their talent to a town or city that would appreciate them.
My conclusion is that we have to assume that there is a substantial Sugar Daddy pouring cash in on a regular basis.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2383
JoinedServiceReputation
May 04 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Great Result : Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 pm  
Alan wrote:
One of the reasons I didn't go today. At my age, I like a certain degree of comfort, when watching RL, and the current Sheffield stadium isn't fit for purpose - well, my purposes, at any rate.

That said, I am in agreement with Harold, in admiring the way Mark Aston et al, have kept the sport alive in a major, non-caring City.

Yes Alan it certainly is not the LSV and PTB point is very valid about going there in glorious sunshine being a totally different proposition than standing in the pouring down rain.
Next