JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 02 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 23 04:051st Mar 20 08:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:30 pm  
I tought Thorman was average. But let's face it - he didn't have to be more than average last night. Just did the basics well.
Horne was head and shoulders above the rest - a stand of that makes things happen. Although I though Brown was one of the best of a bad bunch for us.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6816
JoinedServiceReputation
May 31 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Dec 22 16:5414th Aug 18 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 pm  
PONNER wrote:
Thought Thorman was his usual dormant self. In fact I thought he was the worst half back on the pitch last night.

Sorry Ponner, you really have to be joking!

Mind you, we know your opinion of Thorman.
PONNER 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10532
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jan 14 09:4813th Sep 13 12:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
CLICK THE IMAGE ABOVE
JOIN NOW!! and vote for your top 3 Giants players in every game.

: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:40 pm  
Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:
Sorry Ponner, you really have to be joking!

Mind you, we know your opinion of Thorman.
Watched the game live and watched it on tv later and yet to see what Thorman contributed to Hull. I'm not Brown's biggest fan at 6 but even he played better than Thorman. Can't see the fascination in sticking up for Thorman when he is average at best. He was a better player at least 2 seasons ago. Saying that though we could have won last night had he been kicking for us :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jan 22 20:5215th Sep 18 19:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
If i was to marry, i dont know if i ought to, if i would, if i should , i'd marry a Prop's daughter, she'd go down, i'd go down, we'd all go down together, we'd be alright in the middle of the night going down together!!

: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:22 pm  
PONNER wrote:
Watched the game live and watched it on tv later and yet to see what Thorman contributed to Hull. I'm not Brown's biggest fan at 6 but even he played better than Thorman. Can't see the fascination in sticking up for Thorman when he is average at best. He was a better player at least 2 seasons ago. Saying that though we could have won last night had he been kicking for us :lol:

Back Ponner up 100% re Thorman, all he did was stood and passed the ball all night, put 1 good kick thru for a try, at 1 point a gap as wide as Humber opened up but Thorman was too slow to capitalise on it, as I said before has been a good halfback, now is 30+? and has lost all the pace needed for a 6, will do ok at Hull who will play him at 7 and with Horne outside him but will never pull up any trees.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach403No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 13 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Sep 09 14:451st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:28 pm  
FLYINGPROP wrote:
Back Ponner up 100% re Thorman, all he did was stood and passed the ball all night, put 1 good kick thru for a try, at 1 point a gap as wide as Humber opened up but Thorman was too slow to capitalise on it, as I said before has been a good halfback, now is 30+? and has lost all the pace needed for a 6, will do ok at Hull who will play him at 7 and with Horne outside him but will never pull up any trees.
:CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11553
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200519 years144th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:1813th Apr 24 19:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:38 am  
PONNER wrote:
Thought Thorman was his usual dormant self. In fact I thought he was the worst half back on the pitch last night.

put a great kick in for yeaman to score the WINNING TRY though, but being the bitter loser you are you probably blinked at that very moment :lol: :P

get over it and move on you sad and bitter fool, going by the fc messageboard you have huge gripe against us! :roll:
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 200717 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Oct 23 16:277th Mar 23 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:19 am  
i think that maybe the voting pattern suggests that Thorman has been missed. Votes were evenly split before the Hull game but have become much more pro Thorman after the Hull game.

maybe that is Hull fans voting maybe not.

also some of the comments seem to only look at one indavidual element of Thormans performance eg all thorman did was stand back and pass the ball.

The judge of how well a half back plays surely has to be judged on a lot of different criteria.

Do the two half backs complement each other ?

Horne and Thorman worked well together. One organising and the other showing indavidual flair.

One of them short kicking and the other long kicking.

Brown and Robinson are both good players in their own right but they do not complement each other. They are both very busy attacking the line but neither seem to direct play and run the attacking moves. we only look dangerous or inventive when Hodgson is running the show.

Hull played simple and effective rugby and it worked. we played lots of off the cuff stuff that did not

What does the half back add to the team that other players do not ?

Thorman has a great short kicking game. we do not have one player who does. thorman is a great goal kicker , Hodgson has not yet got up to speed. thorman is a thinker other than Hodgson i am not sure we do.

No matter how people feel about Thorman there is no doubt that i would rather him being in our team at the minute than playing somewhere else. We amde a mistake in getting rid of him before Carney was secured although recent events suggest we made a lucky escape in not getting Carney after his arrest AGAIN last week.

BUT it is all in the past and we now have to make do with what we have got which at the minute is not enough. A long hard season ahead for us particularly now injuries to key players are hitting us.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Dec 09 20:171st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:05 am  
Durham Giant wrote:
i think that maybe the voting pattern suggests that Thorman has been missed. Votes were evenly split before the Hull game but have become much more pro Thorman after the Hull game.

maybe that is Hull fans voting maybe not.

also some of the comments seem to only look at one indavidual element of Thormans performance eg all thorman did was stand back and pass the ball.

The judge of how well a half back plays surely has to be judged on a lot of different criteria.

Do the two half backs complement each other ?

Horne and Thorman worked well together. One organising and the other showing indavidual flair.

One of them short kicking and the other long kicking.

Brown and Robinson are both good players in their own right but they do not complement each other. They are both very busy attacking the line but neither seem to direct play and run the attacking moves. we only look dangerous or inventive when Hodgson is running the show.

Hull played simple and effective rugby and it worked. we played lots of off the cuff stuff that did not

What does the half back add to the team that other players do not ?

Thorman has a great short kicking game. we do not have one player who does. thorman is a great goal kicker , Hodgson has not yet got up to speed. thorman is a thinker other than Hodgson i am not sure we do.

No matter how people feel about Thorman there is no doubt that i would rather him being in our team at the minute than playing somewhere else. We amde a mistake in getting rid of him before Carney was secured although recent events suggest we made a lucky escape in not getting Carney after his arrest AGAIN last week.

BUT it is all in the past and we now have to make do with what we have got which at the minute is not enough. A long hard season ahead for us particularly now injuries to key players are hitting us.

Using voting patterns to judge a player is idiotic. if 50 people now vote Thorman > brown I could not care less.

selecting ' bits of data' to support Thorman is also foolish. Over a career, not a few weeks, BH is a superior kicker. an inconvenient fact, I know.

As for CT is a 'thinker'. Not sure what this means in terms of actual observable performance. it may be a convenient label to try and 'big up' a player but is actually meaningless.

As for a 'single criteria for judging Thorman. Here are a few:

short kicking game - good
long kicking game - inconsistent
goal kicking - currently irrelevant
passing - sound, selection less impressive
speed/strength - slowing and no strength to break tackles
ability to beat a man - virtually zero
defence - poor to very poor
catching high balls - inconsistent
running - tends to be lateral, slow and renders his passes ineffective. if the defensive line move up he has the ability to deliver a good short kick.

His short kicking game would give us something extra but the price would be far too high IMO.

May have been good for the club and CT if NB had got hold of him a few years ago.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200618 years93rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:0114th Apr 24 13:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Twitter : @TheResidentPete

: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 am  
Thorman aint a world class player but he does what we need him to do and that is have a good kicking game and direct us around the field. Sure he won't do alot creativitity wise but without his other factors Fc would have played 4 lost 4 so far this season.

Ironic that I feel Huddersfield lacked that sort of General, Brown aint a half back and a very poor centre at worst and Robinson is far too inconsistant.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach453No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 04 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Apr 09 19:261st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Craig Bellamy: "We're not boxers, we're footy players, and we've got to keep reminding ourselves of that. We're not too worried about getting bashed, believe me. We've got Michael Crocker."

: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 pm  
Top of the league (8)
PreviousNext