Mar 26 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jul 21 09:2822nd Jun 21 13:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:25 pm  
Crackerjack wrote:
We can analyse and dissect the game the rest of the week but it won't change anything
Bottom line their attack and defence were played at a pace much faster than ours and we just couldn't match it!
No amount of coaching or tactics can make a player "run faster" Sadly the sooner some fans accept that and stop taking cheap shots cos we lost to a better team on the day and we do the best with what we've got the better IMO
Personally was looking forward to a good close tussle but it wasn't to be! Just a bad day at the office - end of!
The true test of the teams resolve and backbone will be revealed Friday - but they'll still not be 100metre Olympians whatever happens! No substitute for natural pace!

No, its not disrespect. Players lose their legs as they get older, it happens in most sports.

Jerry once upon a time was quick and his speed coupled with his power meant he burst tackles for fun, similar to Naulogo of Hull in recent times. Since the World Cup hes lost quite abit of pace and its very noticeable and hence why he doesnt bust tackles like he used to. Jordan Turner used to have pace but since hes bulked up more over the last couple of years he too has lost pace. Both Jerry and Turner struggle with players with pace - our right side is the weakest edge (defensively) by far if you look at all 4 games this far.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1616
JoinedServiceReputation
May 02 20159 years301st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 09:563rd Apr 24 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 pm  
Giantscorpio wrote:
From what I have seen of Wigan this season so far it has been their best performance and not many sides would have beaten them on Sunday.

Completely agree, and i also agree with what Crackerjack said, they were different league to us as far as pace goes. Down the left ( our right ) they looked capable of scoring every play on that side but then that has seemed to be our weakest defensive area for quite some time.
Early days yet, we will improve from that, I think there are only possibly 4 sides that can play at that level and they can't do it every week, Like crackers says we won't learn to run any faster so we have to learn to think faster.
I expect Saints to beat us as well being realistic but we have every chance to show we are not going to crumble, We have a much better squad than last season and i'm hopeful we shall do ok. after the last few seasons staying out of the relegation zone will be a big step forward, so onward and upwards, We don't play Wigan every week.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5211
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 19:5125th Apr 24 16:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:00 pm  
Got to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the numbers on here praising Wigan rather than the usual responses you see from most fans. Shows real class. Good luck for the rest of the season (and especially next week! ;) )
RankPostsTeam
International Star592
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 17 201310 years249th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 21:3725th Apr 24 21:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:20 am  
Phuzzy wrote:
Got to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the numbers on here praising Wigan rather than the usual responses you see from most fans. Shows real class. Good luck for the rest of the season (and especially next week! ;) )

Huddersfield fans are not your typical rugby league fans. When i was a kid and got taken down to see Fartown by my Dad and Grandad i got taught that you clap for both teams when they show a superb bit of skill, and i still do that to this day. That can be good and bad, you will not find Huddersfield fans getting on the back of the ref for penalties at home (unless there is a very serious and obvious injustice in his calls) like happens at most grounds and this often costs us easy penalties (because as we know that constant complaining always eventually pays off). Apart from the cowbell you will not find the crowd volume that you find at other grounds, because the fans are not the type to sing for singings sake! I put it down to the fact that we are one of the few teams with a big football club in the town that draw off most of the undesirables that in many towns watch their Rugby team. Again, this is a curse in that those fans still pay their way through the turnstiles and we lack them.

Glad we could help you out this week!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain71No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jun 22 12:4614th Sep 21 11:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:

Got to say that most of the time we're bemoaning the lack of effort/commitment /fitness/skill levels of our own team rather than that of the opposition. We can definitely see an improvement this season so don't know what happened to our resilience against Wigan. We ought to have given you a much sterner test last week but no one can put the finger on exactly what goes wrong in them situations. I had a quick look on your board and was surprised to see one of the posts saying how much the guy disliked Huddersfield Giants and that we are all that is bad about Rugby League at the moment ? Don't really know why but he's entitled to his opinion and no matter what you say to people like that they aren't going to change their view. I personally think we've as much to give to Rugby League as any other team.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 23 07:504th Jun 23 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Huddersfield Giants - "We know our place"

Re: Wigan : Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:21 pm  
GiantJake1988 wrote:
No, its not disrespect. Players lose their legs as they get older, it happens in most sports.

One of the problems the club has had over the years has been showing too much respect to players who are towards the end of their careers. We kept Brough on for two years too many for example.

Jerry has been a genuinely great player for us, but he's nearly 32 years old and still has three years left on his contract.

Its important to create a nurturing and supportive culture for the players, but it cannot come at the cost of putting off hard decisions. Avoiding reality does nobody any favours - including the players involved.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Wigan : Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 am  
Hangerman2 wrote:
Apart from the cowbell you will not find the crowd volume that you find at other grounds, because the fans are not the type to sing for singings sake!

It's got more to do with playing in a stadium that's three times too big imo. Theres never going to be much of an atmosphere until you get a crowd up past 10k. If you get past 20k, the atmosphere is electric At 5k, it's not great.

If I won £150m on the lottery we'd be out of that ground and into a purpose built 13k stadium in a flash. Preferably at Fartown!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain410
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20167 years292nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Aug 23 09:2929th Jul 23 17:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan : Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 am  
Steve May wrote:
It's got more to do with playing in a stadium that's three times too big imo. Theres never going to be much of an atmosphere until you get a crowd up past 10k. If you get past 20k, the atmosphere is electric At 5k, it's not great.

If I won £150m on the lottery we'd be out of that ground and into a purpose built 13k stadium in a flash. Preferably at Fartown!

i disagree as i just think our crowds are not the supporting type and prefer to sit in silence until they think the ref has cheated then use there voice to bag him i dont think it matter hows many are there its more to do with the type of supporters we have and thats why away games are best cos those who go go to get behind the team rather than just watc the game
jools 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10464
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 09 201113 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 23 05:1924th Dec 22 09:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
the future's bright the future's claret and gold

Re: Wigan : Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 am  
SpainesRoadFartown wrote:
i disagree as i just think our crowds are not the supporting type and prefer to sit in silence until they think the ref has cheated then use there voice to bag him i dont think it matter hows many are there its more to do with the type of supporters we have and thats why away games are best cos those who go go to get behind the team rather than just watc the game

I think those at the back are much quieter at home regardless. They don’t agree, and they don’t want to move so they can be heard better as they want to stand for sone strange reason but it’s true. Last week Example-since we’ve had the kids we’ve sat in the family stand. This year My lad had begged to get a ticket at the other side so he got one- (we stayed at other side where weve sat for 15 years) so he went over on his own and when we met him after the game he commented “they don’t sing like they do away”. Now ok we did suffer a bad loss- but we were in the game for 35 minutes.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Wigan : Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:23 pm  
SpainesRoadFartown wrote:

It's quite hard to feel part of a crowd when the next person in s 25 feet away.

There's nothing intrinsically quiet about Huddersfield spectators, they're just too spread out to behave like a crowd.
PreviousNext