Dec 16 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Dec 18 06:5019th Dec 18 22:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 am  
markill wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that you all want to stay at the Stoop. London RL people I've communicated with on Twitter have all always said to leave the Stoop as its in an area that will never support RL and not very easy to travel to.

I want to leave the Stoop, its been a nightmare recently with rail cancellations and big events on at Satan's Church over the road causing traffic chaos. I like the area and the stadium though.

The Hive's ideal in terms of size and access from the north but a bit far out from central London still. But on the underground which is a slight advantage.

Fulham or Brentford would be nice in a fantasy world.
jaybs 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 03 200222 years247th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Jun 22 08:1325th May 22 09:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:41 am  
Fulham, would be a Fantasy World Drea, going home!
RankPostsTeam
International Star1489
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 18 201213 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jul 24 19:114th Jul 24 19:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:43 am  
Tre Cool wrote:
I want to leave the Stoop, its been a nightmare recently with rail cancellations and big events on at Satan's Church over the road causing traffic chaos. I like the area and the stadium though.

+1. In fact I can't wait to leave the Stoop, and Twickenham all together. Six years of looking a empty stands (and getting emptier by the game) has done it for me. It is a nice stadium but it's too big for us and all the pissing about by QuinsRU has left rather a bad smell and some resentment, especially in the past 4 years.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 16 11:0414th Apr 16 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 pm  
markill wrote:

1) On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 not at all / 10 very) how confident are you that the team will be in Super League in 2014?
2) On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 not at all / 10 very) how confident are you that the team will be in Super League (top division) in 2015?
3) Where do you want the team to be playing next season and beyond (area/stadium)?
Really don't know. I was happiest at Brentford. Anyway, the creeping infirmities of age mean that I'm unlikely to watch more than a few matches.

4) Do you think its more damaging that home grown players are looking to move on or that its becoming hard to attract top players from outside?Neither is good, see no point in comparing them.

5) Do you play/coach/support any of the junior or amateur teams and do you think there is a sufficient link up between the SL club and the amateur/junior scene?
No and don't know. Toying with watching Oxford or Glos next year as they're much closer to me. And they may beat up the bl**dy Skolars that some people on here think are the bee's knees. :evil:

6) What do you think is the biggest obstacle facing the Broncos? (i.e. location, financial support, isolation from heartlands, crowds)
Management especially its total inability to engage with supporters. Some of the money wasted on frequently absent Aussie players would be much better spent on tempting and hiring a management team that are up to the job, which I accept to be difficult.

7) Would you still support the team if they dropped out of the top division and do you think a step down would help or harm the long term prospects of the club?
Wouldn't support them physically, 200 miles round trip for semi-pro stuff is not on. Don't know of long term effects of drop down, too many imponderables.

I'd appreciate any genuine answers either on the thread or even better by DM. Thanks.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 15 02:4314th Feb 15 04:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have

eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.

Re: A few questions for London fans : Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:54 am  
Torbreck wrote:
+1. In fact I can't wait to leave the Stoop, and Twickenham all together. Six years of looking a empty stands (and getting emptier by the game) has done it for me. It is a nice stadium but it's too big for us and all the pissing about by QuinsRU has left rather a bad smell and some resentment, especially in the past 4 years.

1. Empty seats can be viewed in any stadium we play in.....to suggest the stadium itself is to blame is narrow minded.
2. Quins RU "vexed us about" only after we announced to anyone listening we wanted out and then had to backtrack and take an extra year at short notice. I believe there was one hastily arranged "double header" prior to this season, otherwise we were treated just fine.
3. If I were Quins RU and I knew that the tenants were offski at the end of the year and happy to blame anyone and everyone including them for the demise of the club, I would have done exactly the same regarding the "waterlogged pitch = H-Cup match" scenario.
4. We got bounced off the pitch at Griffin Park on a regular basis.
5. The situation surrounding Quins RU, the Stoop, the lack of fans and now the uncertainty over our future are 100% down to the club....blaming a stadium, its owners or where it is situated smacks of ignorance/denial/union hating or a rich combination of all three.
6. As much as I am resigned to accepting the Hive, I do lament the dreams we all had in 2006 with the chance to put down roots and leverage as much benefit as we could from a partner club, who at the time had 4k fans but big plans. Just look at where they are now and compare it to us......then look to within the London Broncos and the RFL for reasons why....not the Twickenham Stoop. If I'd told you in 2006 that we'd be happy finding a 3,500 seat stadium to rent, you'd have called me insane, but now here we are accepting it....
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5095
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200223 years114th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Sep 24 20:0023rd Sep 24 16:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gus Mackay we salute you!!

Re: A few questions for London fans : Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:38 am  
gutterfax wrote:
1. Empty seats can be viewed in any stadium we play in.....to suggest the stadium itself is to blame is narrow minded.
2. Quins RU "vexed us about" only after we announced to anyone listening we wanted out and then had to backtrack and take an extra year at short notice. I believe there was one hastily arranged "double header" prior to this season, otherwise we were treated just fine.
3. If I were Quins RU and I knew that the tenants were offski at the end of the year and happy to blame anyone and everyone including them for the demise of the club, I would have done exactly the same regarding the "waterlogged pitch = H-Cup match" scenario.
4. We got bounced off the pitch at Griffin Park on a regular basis.
5. The situation surrounding Quins RU, the Stoop, the lack of fans and now the uncertainty over our future are 100% down to the club....blaming a stadium, its owners or where it is situated smacks of ignorance/denial/union hating or a rich combination of all three.
6. As much as I am resigned to accepting the Hive, I do lament the dreams we all had in 2006 with the chance to put down roots and leverage as much benefit as we could from a partner club, who at the time had 4k fans but big plans. Just look at where they are now and compare it to us......then look to within the London Broncos and the RFL for reasons why....not the Twickenham Stoop. If I'd told you in 2006 that we'd be happy finding a 3,500 seat stadium to rent, you'd have called me insane, but now here we are accepting it....

Correct on all points.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1489
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 18 201213 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jul 24 19:114th Jul 24 19:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 am  
No one's blaming the stadium or QuinsRU for our failures and I reckon we all agree that LB is a shoddily run club which is where virtually all the problems lie. That said, and even with an uncertain future at the moment, I'm looking forward to leaving Twickenham for good. In the meantime... c'mon Lahndahn and smash the Bulls on Sunday and prove to the few hardcore fans left that we aren't a zombie club.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200619 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Apr 21 08:435th Dec 20 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:08 am  
1 & 2 no idea, hoping for a yes but not if the outcome is the same recycled dross that we have had for the past few years.

3 Hive all the way. The Stoop is a great stadium but 20% full soulless, access issues, huge costs plus the continual pandering to the might landlord its a non starter. Lets get somewhere where we are 1) wanted 2) not dwarfed by the landlord 3) has a suitable capacity for our CURRENT needs 4) accessible. The idea that moving away from SW London will in some way hinder development suggests that no development goes on anywhere else across the metropolis. Young players travel from all over to be part of the Broncos junior programme so nothing changes and to add to that, if a club cant stand on its feet without Broncos input, they aren't really a club.

5 the Broncos interface with the junior game is very poor.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200915 years324th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jun 22 16:5512th Jun 22 15:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: A few questions for London fans : Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:21 am  
1) On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 not at all / 10 very) how confident are you that the team will be in Super League in 2014?

1) 5. We are the last non 'heartlands' top level British club in the competition. The RFL has stood idly by whilst the rest fail. These include Crusaders, Gateshead and Sheffield in the Super League era alone. They will not want another failure and I believe will agree to nearly anything to prop us up for one more year, after which they would expect us to drop down out of public view. But I'm not sure the club is up for that arrangement and the RFL will need to sweeten the deal by again treating us as non-heartlands club in the quotas and agreeing not to bar us from SL on the basis of any Stadium we move to. The silence is ominous from the club.

2) On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 not at all / 10 very) how confident are you that the team will be in Super League (top division) in 2015?

2) 1 We have been in the bottom three every year since 2007 so would have at least a 2 in 3 probability of being relegated in a normal season, however the other direct relegation rivals of Salford and Castleford have attempted to strengthen and are probably closer to Bradford and Wakefield than us in quality. I'm expecting London and Widnes to fall through the trap door at the end of the 2014 season. Our only hope is reinstatement of a quota ruling akin to that held by Crusaders to build a squad that is more than just whipping boys.

3) Where do you want the team to be playing next season and beyond (area/stadium)?

The only Rugby Union fans who have any interest in Rugby League are those who genuinely like Rugby, especially running Rugby. This is not the case for the 'Chattering Classes'. In general those based around the National Rugby Union Stadium are there for social occasions and networking opportunities that Rugby Union presents and because the sport appeals to their heritage and background. They will not attend something that is about a code of Rugby associated with the Northern working class and seen as a traditional rival to their sport. So there is no point in being based around one of these areas, even if the Stadium is a pleasant one, and in general those who are 'for' staying at the Stoop find it convenient to get there versus the alternatives.

I would take the club out to a working class area, where people do not have a pre-existing affinity to Rugby Union, almost certainly a football area. I'd prefer us to share with a club with a decent level of support.

Fulham would be perfect and I wouldn't mind any Championship ground, less keen on Barnet/Leyton Orient but grateful for anywhere if truth be told.

4) Do you think its more damaging that home grown players are looking to move on or that its becoming hard to attract top players from outside?

I couldn't blame anyone looking to move on with the man mismanagement of Gus Mackay. However the best home grown players are McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Clubb and Dixon and two out of three are still here. A second list have dashed for cash such as Worrincy, Sharp, Caro and now Sarginson but they are now playing in the lower tiers, whilst a large number of other juniors have gone to Skolars. We don't have many assets to strip. What is more important is that we cannot sign top Northern based players. You will sometimes get the commentators from the North who talk about London such as Peacock and Tomkins but they would not entertain moving here. Our only real market is Australia and in identifying talent that the NRL has overlooked, perhaps players on one of the Pacific Islands or a guy who is about 21 but is still second tier, he could radically improve us, but might need some polish.

5) Do you play/coach/support any of the junior or amateur teams and do you think there is a sufficient link up between the SL club and the amateur/junior scene?

I have no involvement with the amateur/junior scene and the sole reason is that I try to go to every Broncos game (this season have done every game except Catalans away) and Skolars home games. The games are on different days and have an overnight stay. I'd be up for helping on a Monday to Thursday basis but that wouldn't be enough I'd guess. The pride of the southern development is Medway Dragons. Dragons? This could be a Broncos flagship!

6) What do you think is the biggest obstacle facing the Broncos? (i.e. location, financial support, isolation from heartlands, crowds)

The club is in a vicious circle whereby a single benefactor without a long term vision puts in just enough investment to bring in a 'last pick' squad, but he does not properly fund off the field, so we have a very poor infrastructure around areas such as support coaches, training facilities and conditioning and the weakest commercial/marketing operation in professional sport. As other clubs have advanced we have stayed the same or weakened, especially with the unfair interpretation that we are no longer a 'non heartlands' club. We now win 1-3 home games a season and many visitors to the Stoop do not see support as a 'whole of life' thing, more so an opportunity to hammer the club on social media without being there, or showing a complete apathy. To change this cycle of decline the club needs to find a new home and one where we can win 5-6 games at home per year else put off the fickle. But it won't be easy.

7) Would you still support the team if they dropped out of the top division and do you think a step down would help or harm the long term prospects of the club?

Yes. The long term prospects of the sport will be harmed if there is no club in the South of England playing in the top level. The club will lose players to Rugby Union and top flight clubs. But a string of wins and a winning culture could revitalize the team in the short term. However, I think Tony Rea will turn things round with a fair chance and without Gus crippling the club we'd do much better.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 200222 years325th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Jan 22 11:1829th Jan 22 11:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature