Jan 09 20231 year250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 09:078th Jan 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:34 am  
BigTime wrote:
There’s been a lot of chat about SL needing a strong London team, in essence, to give it a bit more glamour/national status. I’m not convinced but if that is what is felt absolutely now is the time for everyone to make the effort. If DH puts his hand in his pocket and we strengthen this squad sufficient that we don’t get cast adrift then sending us down would seem to cut across that although I would be far from pleased if I was the heartland, decently supported team that was sacrificed. For me IMG have been well below the radar. My guess is the SL teams basically hamstr8ng any suggestions they make. I simply don’t know what they can actually do but I hope Broncos and IMg are speaking

IMG have talked a good game (quietly) up to now and I am hopeful of realising their broader vision. I think a lot of people get caught up in thinking IMG are the arbiters of the game. But they are a partner and ultimately control will rest with the RFL who have often talked us up, but failed when it's come to setting the conditions to allow us to thrive as an expansion area, particularly in recent years.

I remember posting a few months back on the thread about Plough Lane/matchday experience/finances etc and saying then that Plough Lane was the facility we needed in 3-4 seasons time. It's worth remembering too that in the initial discussions around our use of the stadium, promotion back to SL potentially had us paying £500,000 a season for the privilege. Not sure whether that is still the case or not, but I guess we are going to get a good look at whether Wimbledon is the successful strategic draw Hughes thinks it must be!

Will Hughes put his hand in his pocket again now we are back in the big league? Yes, probably to an extent and in the short term he has very little choice otherwise, unless we see substantial investment from a new party, or an additional 4000 season ticket holders sign up between now and February. I laugh at some of the 'pundits' and RL talking heads out there, who are calling for a Leigh 2.0 from us next season. I think there is a lack of broader awareness of just how close to ground zero we are going to be starting from again, arguably more so than 2018.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy and very excited not just about next season, but the opportunity this presents to potentially secure the clubs longer term future at the top level. I just hope we make best of it, because we could not have asked for it to be served up any better.
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5077
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years103rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 21:162nd Jun 24 15:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gus Mackay we salute you!!

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:29 am  
Smithers99 wrote:
BT. You feel IMG have to get very involved. They wanted a London presence and it's been handed to them on a plate, such that only IMG and not relegation can take it away from them. Could get very interesting and messy, but this is a huge moment for IMG.

I don't have the background about all the issues over the years with the Broncos, but regardless of the views on David Hughes in particular, surely it's about getting it right now. Whether in the past so much money has been vexed up the wall, loyal fans pushed away, relationships with the club broken down etc, it's time to learn from those mistakes and move forward. Obviously everyone can keep bringing up the past. Fine if it's constructive but self defeating otherwise.

I appreciate there is lot to resolve, but from my short time following, I'm struggling to think of any realistic scenario that would have had London in as strong a position as they find themselves today. I'm really talking from their position in the England game. Behind the scenes the club could be really struggling although my gut feeling is the additional income streams will make a difference. But in terms of a London based club playing at a high level with a future, I think the timing of IMG's changes have fallen at the right time, and credit to London as arguably the team likely to get the most benefit, to get things correct on the playing field and the best moment possible. Last year too early and next year too late.

Who would have expected this after the way we started the season !! A few good signings (including a coach) have made all the difference. Credit to the team.

Management, however, is not up to SL standard and things will need to change significantly. We need new financial backing and a new CEO if we are going to make a success of this unexpected opportunity. Building the crowd for next season needs to start right now on the back of the publicity of this success. Season tickets are on sale so should be pushed hard but the club need to come clean about when and where games will be played. The aim should be for Broncos to be become every Northern exile's second (if not first) team.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1069No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 20:4418th May 24 08:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:38 am  
Smithers99 wrote:
BT. You feel IMG have to get very involved. They wanted a London presence and it's been handed to them on a plate, such that only IMG and not relegation can take it away from them. Could get very interesting and messy, but this is a huge moment for IMG.

I don't have the background about all the issues over the years with the Broncos, but regardless of the views on David Hughes in particular, surely it's about getting it right now. Whether in the past so much money has been vexed up the wall, loyal fans pushed away, relationships with the club broken down etc, it's time to learn from those mistakes and move forward. Obviously everyone can keep bringing up the past. Fine if it's constructive but self defeating otherwise.

I appreciate there is lot to resolve, but from my short time following, I'm struggling to think of any realistic scenario that would have had London in as strong a position as they find themselves today. I'm really talking from their position in the England game. Behind the scenes the club could be really struggling although my gut feeling is the additional income streams will make a difference. But in terms of a London based club playing at a high level with a future, I think the timing of IMG's changes have fallen at the right time, and credit to London as arguably the team likely to get the most benefit, to get things correct on the playing field and the best moment possible. Last year too early and next year too late.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I think you're in for a bit of a shock to be honest if that's what you think about the impact of the IMG scoring system. This was a magnificent acheivement from Mike Eccles and the London squad and Broncos fans should be very proud, but the IMG scoring system was never going to do this year's promoted club (or indeed any team that has played in the Championship recently) any favours. London will score highly on the catchment area aspect, but not many other areas.
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain959
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 20:3430th May 24 22:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number--
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you--
Ye are many -- they are few.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy'

' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:57 am  
Knocker_White wrote:
I laugh at some of the 'pundits' and RL talking heads out there, who are calling for a Leigh 2.0 from us next season.

Just as long as we don't go overboard on the animal print thing, eh? :D
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years103rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:59 am  
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I think you're in for a bit of a shock to be honest if that's what you think about the impact of the IMG scoring system. This was a magnificent acheivement from Mike Eccles and the London squad and Broncos fans should be very proud, but the IMG scoring system was never going to do this year's promoted club (or indeed any team that has played in the Championship recently) any favours. London will score highly on the catchment area aspect, but not many other areas.

I think indicative IMG ratings will be published soon. We should expect a boost in terms of performance score assuming the 0.25 point championship winning bonus goes to playoff winners as opposed to the league leaders.
Steve0 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 03 200321 years34th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jun 24 10:421st Jun 24 09:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:06 am  
Well done! I think every game being on sky sports next year will be a big help for you to boost crowds, if neutrals in London see it, like what they see, they may be inclined to come along. Good luck for next season in super League! Missed my trips down to watch London(last came down to the stoop during the Quins RL era!)
RankPostsTeam
International Star1069No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 20:4418th May 24 08:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:29 am  
jbuzza wrote:
I think indicative IMG ratings will be published soon. We should expect a boost in terms of performance score assuming the 0.25 point championship winning bonus goes to playoff winners as opposed to the league leaders.

Yes, correct on both counts. The 0.25 points will partly mitigate the impact of last year's 23rd overall position which will pull London down a lot in the overall performance rankings.There are lots of scoring areas where you'd think London will struggle - for instance after averaging crowds of just over 1,000 for the last 2 seasons it would take average crowds of nearly 7,000 to get London up above the lowest scoring threshold of 3,00 averages.
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years103rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:29 pm  
Game highlights available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59wgKTDBP4
Game highlights available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59wgKTDBP4
RankPostsTeam
International Star1734No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 24 23:562nd Jun 24 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:25 pm  
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
Yes, correct on both counts. The 0.25 points will partly mitigate the impact of last year's 23rd overall position which will pull London down a lot in the overall performance rankings.There are lots of scoring areas where you'd think London will struggle - for instance after averaging crowds of just over 1,000 for the last 2 seasons it would take average crowds of nearly 7,000 to get London up above the lowest scoring threshold of 3,00 averages.

With Hughes quoted on the BBC website article saying he "hopes we get more fans" it doesn't sound like there is any thought out plan to achieve that goal as yet!!
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1909
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years58th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 21:562nd Jun 24 21:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toulouse : Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:46 pm  
Deadcowboys1 wrote:
With Hughes quoted on the BBC website article saying he "hopes we get more fans" it doesn't sound like there is any thought out plan to achieve that goal as yet!!

Yes I noticed that as well. We could assume this is an all too familiar ‘let’s hope something happens’ plan or we could assume he’s just caught up in the emotion and shooting from the hip. In the spirit of positivity I’m going with the latter but with a timely reminder that if we have ever been capable of making considered decisions then now is the time to do it because this could get tricky. Our crowds will be larger but if we get spanked casual visitors won’t care that it’s Hull FC not Batley they will think we are losers and not come again. Recruitment/ retention really challenging and important and our move towards an effective PT Model for a London side is slightly redundant although we’d be mugs to Chuck the baby out with the bath water some Heartlands players will have to come I. And some good PT players who’ve done a job for us may have to go. Hope we can get some kind of arrangement with a L1 side to loan out some of our academy step ups so they get some match time. It seems to me that the benefit we get from that long term is more than the minuscule fee we tried to get out of Skolars this year if reports were true. If we have full time players let’s get them out into the community pre season to raise awareness.
PreviousNext