FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto replacement.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2810No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20177 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:2517th Mar 24 18:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Toronto replacement. : Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm  
If Toronto get a no at the end of the month, the 11 team 12 team SL comp discussion comes up.
In its current state anyone think broncos would be even able to build a decent case for being considered?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 10:5812th Apr 24 04:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 am  
I might suggest that having a SL team in London gives the competition more credibility from a marketing perspective than Leigh, York or Featherstone.

Having said that, it needs people with vision running the game which is often where RL loses out. When i've mentioned to people that Toronto play a number of home games on a different continent because of the weather, they just laugh. You don't see Green Bay Packers playing their games in Europe with similar weather issues.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Apr 21 08:435th Dec 20 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 am  
Deadcowboys1 wrote:
I might suggest that having a SL team in London gives the competition more credibility from a marketing perspective than Leigh, York or Featherstone.

Having said that, it needs people with vision running the game which is often where RL loses out. When i've mentioned to people that Toronto play a number of home games on a different continent because of the weather, they just laugh. You don't see Green Bay Packers playing their games in Europe with similar weather issues.

We tick all the boxes, as proved in 2019.

That said, unlike all the other teams mentioned, we only have around 10 players left of which a few are juniors, so we aren't really 'oven-ready'
Victor 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player633
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 21 20204 years145th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 16:5918th Apr 24 16:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 am  
If there is a Super League place available, should Toronto be prevented from returning to the competition. It will show the Super Leagues ambition, as to which team they replace them with.
My guess is that they will give it to Leigh. It will be the Old Pals Act. Beaumont is a salt of the earth northerner, they will give it to him.
What may well throw a spanner in the works for them, is the TV deal negotiations. The broadcaster might well wish for a greater geographic spread of teams, rather than just the M62 corridor.
However as Plum has said, London broncos are far from being in a position to compete in SL. That too was the situation last season and with a bit of a scratch team. We put up a good fight.
Time will tell.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2810No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20177 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:38 am  
Having a team in london and credibility on a marketing front is an old arguement that has been used a lot, not sure its valid to be honest. We had the opportunity on that front when we had the big names playing for us what did it achieve then?
2019 season yep reasonably competative but still finished bottom.
Other clubs are much better set up in regards stadiums, eg widnes leigh york, Toulouse.
I think the finances of any club will be the main focus, last thing they need is another club going in, buying a squad, which tbh any club would have to do, and then them struggling.
Squad, is an issue but that would go back to how the finances look if it came to this sort of call
Currently i think london would be out of the frame on a number of fronts, stadium not ideal for SL, how long DH can keep us going. Very small fan base. Location currently does not help.
I fear if it came to it Toulouse, leigh, York would be way ahead
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Apr 21 08:435th Dec 20 09:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:38 am  
northernbloke wrote:
Having a team in london and credibility on a marketing front is an old arguement that has been used a lot, not sure its valid to be honest. We had the opportunity on that front when we had the big names playing for us what did it achieve then?
Other clubs are much better set up in regards stadiums, eg widnes leigh york, Toulouse.
I think the finances of any club will be the main focus, last thing they need is another club going in, buying a squad, which tbh any club would have to do, and then them struggling.
Squad, is an issue but that would go back to how the finances look if it came to this sort of call
Currently i think london would be out of the frame on a number of fronts, stadium not ideal for SL, how long DH can keep us going. Very small fan base. Location currently does not help.

If we dont deserve to be in SL, we dont deserve to be in SL so no point getting over excited.

All being well, Toronto will remain in SL, and if David and the club are up for it, we can slug is out for SL 2022 on the field.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 10:5812th Apr 24 04:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:57 pm  
northernbloke wrote:

Who knows, but i guess you would have to compare the tv deal then with the tv deal now & what Sky, BT, Amazon or others may offer next time around. We are light years behind football in tv revenue as you would expect but also a long way behind Union which does have an viable international game & World Cup.

It surely must be easier to sell rights abroad when London is a participant. Who the hell outside of Leigh has heard of it?

I don't see how Toronto can be allowed to complete in SL having not fulfilled their fixtures. There has to be a penalty for that.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2810No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20177 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:29 pm  
The whole Toronto project in my mind was flawed, you have a team entering a competition where they cant play at home for a good part of that comp due to weather issues! There financial problems were around long before covid. Tie that into a team in a different time zone 7 hours travel time away from every other club with all the logistics behind that for a sport that is not flush with funds never really made sense.
That aside, a club that withdraws from all comps in the way it did at such short notice should face sanctions of some sort, there are rules for clubs that go into financial instability such as bradford, so how they can justify them retaining there SL status is beyond me.
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain948
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years158th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 12:3010th Apr 24 20:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number--
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you--
Ye are many -- they are few.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy'

' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison

Re: Toronto replacement. : Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:29 pm  
northernbloke wrote:
The whole Toronto project in my mind was flawed, you have a team entering a competition where they cant play at home for a good part of that comp due to weather issues! There financial problems were around long before covid. Tie that into a team in a different time zone 7 hours travel time away from every other club with all the logistics behind that for a sport that is not flush with funds never really made sense.
That aside, a club that withdraws from all comps in the way it did at such short notice should face sanctions of some sort, there are rules for clubs that go into financial instability such as bradford, so how they can justify them retaining there SL status is beyond me.

Nothing to disagree with here as far as I’m concerned
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain675
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 20159 years264th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 11:1124th Apr 22 15:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto replacement. : Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 am  
The only year SL had relegation after the franchise was the only time in SL where we finished bottom, unlucky or what?. How many SL teams have been relegated after 10 wins. How many teams are there outside the M62 corridor which people know about.. Does the corridor actually grow the game as much as London does with new schools, new clubs etc.. Look at all the SL teams and they all have London lads in there, Look at all the teams sprouting up around the south and actually producing great talent. We are now developing some wonderful academy talent and we need a place in SL to get on TV and showcase this. Only seeing the same old teams from the same area does not really interest people outside that area as there is no competition or interest for the people from further south. IF the RL really do want to expand the game with a viable option they need to take their heads out of the clouds you cannot accept teams from across the Atlantic. Clubs are fighting financially to survive as it is and covid has made it worse, FInding the funds to go to France possibly twice a season is bad enough but crossing the Atlantic.is stupid never mind without the extra cash spend and the pressure on the players. Its not a 7 hour journey it is 10hrs each way including airport time.. Also Toronto replaced us so lets replace them we were the next team down after them. I,m sure DH, DW and JL still have time to amass and train a team fit for SL they have the power
Next