FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Never Mind George, Next Year Eh?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1219
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 25 20213 years86th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Sep 23 10:162nd Sep 23 22:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wakefield Wildcats RLFANS Quiz Champion 2023

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:44 pm  
I don’t get this love in from Wigan fans for Hastings. He’s average at best. He can’t kick for toffee, has no idea what to do on the last and does nothing in attack.

The only reason he’s going to West’s is because no one in the nrl wants to play for McGuire
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 20:4827th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:28 pm  
moto748 wrote:
Just on dummy runners, is it just me, but I remember when Shorrocks first came into the side, he was making dummy left right and centre, But he never got the ball, and obviously opposing defences realised that. So in the end we stopped doing it. That is not good enough.

Bring back the days of Rads and Newton flooding through on every half break. It’s such a simple way of testing defences but it’s as rare as rocking horse sh*te with us. I admire Matty Ashton at Wire because he’s a throw back when he plays fullback and just sniffs around the ball. Pre my NRL boycott ( :D ) I’d watch Ryan Papenhuyzen and he is a master at being in the right place at the right time. He’s such a talent and he has lightning pace but his real strength is just so simple, he pushes up in support time and again and doesn’t get put off by the 8 times out of 10 where the ball doesn’t come.
Last edited by NickyKiss on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 20:4827th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:29 pm  
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
I don’t get this love in from Wigan fans for Hastings. He’s average at best. He can’t kick for toffee, has no idea what to do on the last and does nothing in attack.

The only reason he’s going to West’s is because no one in the nrl wants to play for McGuire

And we don’t get your 32 usernames but nobody is perfect.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years175th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 20:2623rd Mar 24 14:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:20 am  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I’m quite a reflective person and try not to be too intransigent, if appropriate, on views that I hold and I can change my mind or reassess my views but unless there are radical changes between now and March 2022 I won’t be getting a season ticket. It’s highly unlikely I’ll be attending any matches other than maybe Toulouse away more for the craic than the rugby.

I’ve seen for worse teams than the 2021 version but none of them drained my love of the club or the game like that shambolic lot. This was strengthened by an absence of management that didn’t have the guts to bullet Lam when the team was literally decomposing before everyones eyes and the silence at the ground was deafening.

I have genuine sympathy for IL and KR re COVID and the issues with the new Latics owners but I have nothing bit dismay for their sheer incompetence on their handling of Lam and the cap space over the last few years. I will always be grateful to IL for buying the club but unfortunately it looks like he has lost his edge as a businessman making some baffling decisions or in the case of Lam lack of decisions. Lam should have gone during his first season or at the end of that first season. Lam has been totally and utterly out of his depth.

The 2022 squad unless something miraculous happens is not going to put bums on seats.

My views on Peet as I’ve said are irrational and I think that’s because I see (without seeing) a continuation of the siege mentality, stats stats stats and playing by numbers that plagued SW latter years.I wish the guy well and if he can a team playing like 2012 squad then maybe I’ll drop in on the odd game.

Today I went to Thatto Heath to watch Orrell St James land their league title. I loved it. It was fun, raw full on rugby and absolutely no playing by numbers. We then watched the final 20:minutes or so between Siddall and Thatto Heath with a great atmosphere with two well matched teams.

I am going to stick with amatuer rugby until the senior management is sorted out and we start acting and looking like a professional outfit fully integrated with its fan base and being forward looking incessantly driven for improvement across all areas of the club.
Simple regular communication with fans should be a given and continuous process not a knee jerk 2 days notice affair.
The current marketing is almost nil subject to lower prices. It’s an untenable approach. What are the plans for increasing the number of spectators aged under 30 particularly the 16 to 24 age group? We spent a fortune on a new badge seemingly at the expense of all other initiatives.

I am in hyper critical mode primarily due to frustration that there are some easy wins with the right mindset and the right people. Currently we don’t seem have either. As an outsider looking in for a business that really is pretty appalling.

I hope IL gets his mojo back and turns things around if he hasn’t got the energy he should pass the mantle on to his son. Unless some serious and focused energy is pumped into the club very very soon things will get worse very quickly.

Well, at least you've offered an explanation for your absence. Still waiting for that from quite a few other people.

The fall in attendances is causing the club real problems. So forgive me if I'm increasingly leaning towards a 'you don't go, you don't f#####g moan' mentality.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain896No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 20195 years135th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Sep 23 23:299th Sep 23 23:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:30 pm  
Cruncher wrote:
Well, at least you've offered an explanation for your absence. Still waiting for that from quite a few other people.

The fall in attendances is causing the club real problems. So forgive me if I'm increasingly leaning towards a 'you don't go, you don't f#####g moan' mentality.

I don't go very often, but that is because of Sky mainly, not the club. I work shifts. To be honest though, i wouldn't have gone anyway this season. I haven't been all year. Iv'e mentioned it before. I want to be entertained in my leisure time. We haven't been entertaining anyone for a long time. A big shake-up is needed somewhere. Play poop, treat the fans with contempt = get rubbish crowds. That's how sport works. I don't have to go to the games to have an opinion if i can see the same thing everyone else is seeing. I have said this before too, i bought a season ticket last year the day after we announced Burgess knowing i wouldn't make all the games. I was already impressed with the recruitment but the Burgess signing clinched it for me yet somehow we still managed to play woefully. I made an effort to get to games and took in a couple of away days. This season i couldn't have been any less bothered. Recruitment was poor, Lam was poor, the rugby was boring so i was going to pick and choose my games. I ended up going to none this season because when i saw us on the telly were were boring and completely unorganized. The club need to step up.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14320
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years242nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:0125th Feb 24 01:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:27 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
And we don’t get your 32 usernames but nobody is perfect.

Don't worry - I can see them all and I suggest everybody just ignore their posts. :D
DannyT 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 08 200222 years218th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:0915th Mar 24 00:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Never Mind George, Next Year Eh? : Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:42 pm  
I’ve not had a season ticket for nearly ten years now but this season I got one after managing to sort some finances out and arrange things in my time. I felt I owed it to the club I’ve followed as much as I can all of my life to put some more money in after the lockdowns and concerns about the state of the game. A part of me is glad I did it (free pass to moan on here by the looks of it) but there’s a big part of me feeling I’ve been treated like a mug with the lack of decisive action on Lam, the style of play and lack of any entertainment, the state of the leadership at the club and rumours of Peet to take over, I just don’t think I can part with my money. It hurts because if I do that and others too, it impacts the club massively but then we come back to a situation where it feels like the club is trying to blackmail me to part with money and that is the central point I suppose, to where we are at. It seems there’s a lack of trust between fans and the club and almost disdain for the fans and a lack of respect from the club to us.
Previous