Aug 02 20195 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 13:204th May 24 09:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm  
Captain Hook wrote:
Genuine question, would Matty Nicholson be in Wigan’s 1st 13 if everyone was fit? I ask because my understanding was he left you because he thought his 1 st team chances were better with us (Wire), he certainly seems to be developing into the player you thought he would.
With regard to Max Wood, he was released by you and picked up after training with us, presumably Burgess saw something in him and he definitely hasn’t disgraced himself when he has played 1st team. What was the thinking in letting him go? Have you got a lot of highly rated young props coming through (if so can you name them please…Signed S Burgess)

My understanding was it was around the time we had faz, Isa for the second row spot plus Nsemba coming through. We then had Bateman at 13 and other young lads coming through, he mustn’t of seen a way in at the time. I think Nicholson was definitely in the plans to take over as Peet in that video seems a bit peed off with him going. I do think however Walter and Nsemba are both good prospects and certainly Walters is better than Nicholson. Max wood going to be honest hadn’t heard of him before the left but from what I’ve seen does look decent. Props think there are few good lads coming through the ranks but I do think Warrington need to start backing there own a bit more
RankPostsTeam
New Signing60No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 28 20230 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 15:543rd May 24 08:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:39 am  
Captain Hook wrote:
Genuine question, would Matty Nicholson be in Wigan’s 1st 13 if everyone was fit? I ask because my understanding was he left you because he thought his 1 st team chances were better with us (Wire), he certainly seems to be developing into the player you thought he would.
With regard to Max Wood, he was released by you and picked up after training with us, presumably Burgess saw something in him and he definitely hasn’t disgraced himself when he has played 1st team. What was the thinking in letting him go? Have you got a lot of highly rated young props coming through (if so can you name them please…Signed S Burgess)

he probably wouldnt be a 1st team starter at the minute as Matty Peet likes Farrell and Isa, and Nsemba is just getting more game time now due to Isa injury

when he left i know the club were disappointed but equally you cant knock a lad if he thinks he's good enough (and i think Wire were offering more than Wigan). At the time he was quite a bit down the pecking order Farrell, Isa, Smithies, KPP, Bateman. We've since lost 3 of those players to the NRL and 2 are probably going to retire this season and next season. His chance would have come throughout this season, but he would have had to be patient and on a lesser salary

I posted recently on a thread on the wire board (think it was about Lucas Green), that unfortunately we cant keep them all happy and both Wire and Leeds have benefitted from 2 young 2nd row forwards who would have made 1st team, but wanted regular 1st team game time now. its disappointing but equally you cant knock the lads if they can get 1st team / better money as its a short career
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5222
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years120th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 15:521st May 24 23:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 am  
It's a tough one and no one other than the coaching staff could say with any real authority. My own take on him is that he's good but not special whereas both Nsemba and Walters have it in them to be special. They are a level above in terms of potential.

at the time he left he was behind established internationals in Faz and Bateman and future internationals in KPP and Smithies who are both ripping it up in the NRL now so it's understandable that he chose to leave when he did. It doesn't seem to have worked out too badly for him so he probably made the right decision.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29326
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 07:254th May 24 20:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:24 am  
I rate Nicholson extremely highly. He'd be a regular starter here now IMO and we may not have signed Walters had he stayed. He hasn't got the natural size of Nsemba and Walters but he's big enough and has a great engine. He's the sort of lad who would go great alongside a Walters or Nsemba and bring a nice balance. He could've replaced Smithies as well, so I do think he's been a loss to the club but we've done unbelievably well to get ourselves in the position we have at the same time as losing him, Smithies and KPP. It shows just how good the production line is at the club that we can not only support our own club but prop up others as well and still keep on competing at the top end.

In terms of Max Wood, he was just behind too many players by the looks of things. I'm glad he's got sorted out at Wire and looks to be doing well.
Zig 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1661
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 20222 years118th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:033rd May 24 18:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 pm  
I think that Nicky’s summary hits the nail on the head. Just a couple of things I would add, I believe Nicholson will play for England and secondly Warrington will have to pay him big money if they wish to retain him. When he moved to Wire, Wigan could not compete with the salary he was offered. His agent is an astute guy.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5222
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years120th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 15:521st May 24 23:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan academy products : Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 pm  
I think this is where we differ. Whilst I'm not saying that he won't play for England, I very much doubt he'll be an England regular. That's no slight on his ability as the same could be said for Faz. I just think there's too much ahead of him and, again in a similar way to how Faz has found it hard to cement a place at international level, I feel Nicholson will face similar difficulties. There's already Bateman, Bachelor, Knowles, Radley, Smithies, KPP among others ahead of him and I don't think it will be long before the likes of Walters and Nsemba join them. With the limited number of international games I think it's a big ask to push himself ahead of so many.

As always with these things, it's just an opinion of course.
pk 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 30 200222 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 12:2126th Apr 24 12:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I've seen them bomb a quarter final, bottle a semi final, finish as league leaders, but I've still, never, seen the Wire win the league
Doom and gloom, doom and gloom

Re: Wigan academy products : Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 pm  
First time this season watching a Huddersfield game last night, and Rushton was very impressive. Nicholson has always been good and pretty steady when I've seen him but Rushton looks a real prospect.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12590
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years126th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:473rd May 24 15:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Wigan academy products : Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am  
In response to the OP, I’ve long thought the Academy system as a whole is broken. However, in a “don’t hate the player, hate the game” style, I think it is a systemic issue. The red flashing light is that the language around this is always about “clamping down” (or similar) on the clubs that produce few players - that eagerness to reach for the stick feels like a tacit admission that the carrot is pretty tiny for most clubs.

As unproductive as it has been in modern times, most Hull KR fans love our academy and continue to pin a lot of hope on it. So, I am speaking very much as a minority of one in wishing the club had seen the initial loss of our academy licence a few years ago as a chance to do something radically different… even allowing for the loss of funding.
Previous