OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 15:138th May 24 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Everything is Awesome

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:13 pm  
And so it begins....we might as well just copy & paste the Waney out posts from 12 months ago. I do believe there's a huge amount of arrogance from some sections of the fan-base whereby they demand we win everything every year & anything less than that requires heads to roll. I long for the day when rational argument can be had without some troll (home or away) decides they know everything going on in the dressing room, or parachuting in some (currently) out of work high-flyer to take over is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
But then this isn't the Oxford Union debating society, and life would be boring without a bit of free cabaret & a bust up every now and again. 8)
RankPostsTeam
International Star256No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 29 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Oct 15 23:5911th Oct 15 22:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm  
Everything in this thread pretty much spot on. He's a brilliant coach developing what will be a formidable side in the next few years. He's won all 3 trophies and been unlucky in the last two years not to pick up 2 more GFs and a LLS (although Leeds would have been equally as unlucky if we had won either, if that makes sense).

I'm not actually sure why opposition fans hate him so much, bar the usual anti-wigan brigade. He always seems very complimentary of the opposition, he even seems to have stopped the Saints hating and is very complimentary towards KC and his team. He doesn't complain about refereeing decisions half as much as other coaches- last night when asked about the Joel Moon try all he said was 'well it was given'.
He's an English coach loyal to his home town club and is bringing through some brilliant young english players, as he always has- sending up the likes of Tomkins, Farrell etc. when he was coaching lower down. He really has worked for everything he's got with this Wigan side and should be admired.

Opposition fans go on about him being dirty and encouraging his players to go out and commit foul play. Literally this just comes of one comment in the WCC documentary and any fans who think their coach doesn't do exactly the same is either naive or stupid.
Do we really think the likes of Kieron Cunningham and Paul Anderson are telling the players not to be too aggressive and go out and play nicely with the other boys? Give over.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29373
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 21:1223rd May 24 07:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:38 pm  
He's restored my faith at the back end of this season and I'm again convinced he's the man for us. We need to grow and evolve and to do that he needs to make some tough calls but if he can do that I genuinely believe we can have a hugely successful period.

With players like Sam Tomkins, Farrell, McIlorum, Williams, Bateman etc in the side we're going to continue to be there or thereabouts.

Looking at what we need to improve id say Gildart developing in to a top Centre will be huge for us and we could do with Ryan Sutton really kicking on to become the prop that he's capable of. We're covered on the wings, in the halves and at back row for a number of years.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 18:0514th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:58 pm  
I think there's a difference between expecting to win everything and expecting to win some trophies. In three of his four seasons Wane had failed to win either major trophy, and we have been knocked out of the challenge cup by Cas and Hull KR in that time. I know it won't happen but I'd like to see us try someone new. Darryl Powell would be ideal
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2907
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 18:2022nd May 24 13:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
He's restored my faith at the back end of this season and I'm again convinced he's the man for us. We need to grow and evolve and to do that he needs to make some tough calls but if he can do that I genuinely believe we can have a hugely successful period.

With players like Sam Tomkins, Farrell, McIlorum, Williams, Bateman etc in the side we're going to continue to be there or thereabouts.

Looking at what we need to improve id say Gildart developing in to a top Centre will be huge for us and we could do with Ryan Sutton really kicking on to become the prop that he's capable of. We're covered on the wings, in the halves and at back row for a number of years.

We need strengthening in the three quarters for next year. Burgess has gone and I believe Sarginson deal with Bath is done. If Charnley does go to Union then we will be pretty low in strength and cover. Perhaps our biggest requirement is a reliable goal kicker.
Sam coming back is fantastic but Joel and MM need to improve vastly next season on this for me as they will be the senior players as SOL looks unfortunately like his best days are behind him.
I'm not being negative but hopefully IL is looking for further signings before the new season.
I'm more than happy with SW and I don't think there is anyone better than him in bringing top class youngsters through the system and with a touch of luck a trophy or two will come our way.
RankPostsTeam
International Star866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 08 201112 years250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 18:3923rd May 24 06:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:31 pm  
wiganstripleL wrote:
No one can question he is loyal but the biggest disappointment for me this season and not just last night has been the quality of out attack.just think we lack that killer instinct at time. I think if we are to sign anyone else then it needs be an attacking minded assissant coach.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but for me the majority of this falls at the feet of Smith again. A scrum half should be attacking the line and creating things but he is too predictable and slow near the opposition line but the return of Sam T will increase the intensity in that area tenfold.

On the original subject. Waney is creating a dynasty here and needs to stay. He is blooding a very good young local side and the future looks excellent. I see a mini domination on the cards for us in the near future.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 05:4422nd May 24 22:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:37 pm  
Without doubt he needs to stay, no question.

Next year is career defining however for him. We need a major trophy, and we need to come out of this transitional phase we seem to have fallen into.

We have everything in place to create a generationally dominant team, like Leeds have, and that needs to become a reality next year.

If we don't come away with either the Cup or SL title should and I think will go.

I know it's early but I am genuinely already very excited about 2016 and he has to deliver.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 02 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 18 16:0017th Jan 18 14:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:51 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
I think there's a difference between expecting to win everything and expecting to win some trophies. In three of his four seasons Wane had failed to win either major trophy, and we have been knocked out of the challenge cup by Cas and Hull KR in that time. I know it won't happen but I'd like to see us try someone new. Darryl Powell would be ideal

Do you honestly think that Powell is a better coach. Based on what?

Shaun Wane beats Powell on any criterion you care to name (except as a player).

Powell is doing a similar job at Cas to Stuart Raper. Maybe we should learn from history. Because I don't think one Challenge Cup success, which is what Raper achieved, in three seasons is what you'd be looking for from someone who is expected to improve on Shaun Wanes record.

There is nothing that Powell has done that would lead you to expect better than Shaun Wanes achievements.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th May 24 13:174th May 24 14:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm  
Pretty sure Raper was here for 2 years and we managed 1 CC and a GF loss (plus another at the end of the season he left).

However I fully agree with jonh.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 18:0514th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Shaun Wane : Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:08 pm  
Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Do you honestly think that Powell is a better coach. Based on what?

Shaun Wane beats Powell on any criterion you care to name (except as a player).

Powell is doing a similar job at Cas to Stuart Raper. Maybe we should learn from history. Because I don't think one Challenge Cup success, which is what Raper achieved, in three seasons is what you'd be looking for from someone who is expected to improve on Shaun Wanes record.

There is nothing that Powell has done that would lead you to expect better than Shaun Wanes achievements.

Powell's teams regularly play far better than the sum of their parts, look at the squad Cas have had the last two years and tell me they should be getting to a cup final or finishing at the top end of the table. If Powell had our resources at his disposal he could do great things IMO
PreviousNext