FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Something rotten in the state of Wigan?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 12 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Jun 10 01:397th Jun 10 01:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 am  
Any of the following statements ring any bells?

From the coach with no plan B
From the load of second rate antipodean alleged boozers recruited for the team.
A chairman that seems to be a yes man, does not seem to have a back bone
A coach that won`t give local talent a chance.
Players that don`t have any pride

coach with no plan B ( When you have a tired or beaten pack you have halfbacks with no room you can have ten different plans and it won't make any difference in honesty ) no coach drops a ball or misses a tackle its how they and the team respond .

From the load of second rate antipodean alleged boozers recruited for the team.

So pleased you said alleged and during the Wigan heyday you NEVER saw any player in the pubs and clubs of Wigan did you ?

A chairman that seems to be a yes man, does not seem to have a back bone

enough backbone to put his money into a sport and a team and not go for the QUICK fix just because things are not going right

A coach that won`t give local talent a chance I love this one against Hull Wigan had 7 yes thats SEVEN players in the starting 17 that have all come through the Wigan acadamy side ! against Cass we had 8 yes eight who have come through the ranks pity Noble won't give LOCAL or YOUTH a chance

Players that don`t have any pride I don't know how many of the players you know but i don't think any of them lack pride and i suspect every player you speak to will show that there pride is hurting just as much if not more than the fans

but unlike the fans they will keep it quiet and attempt to use it as a motivating force for the next game

for me i will be getting behind the team and support them through the bad times and i am sure it will feel a whole lot sweeter when the good times do come back to the club
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 17:4528th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: Something rotten in the state of Wigan? : Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:28 am  
Hoofer wrote:
I am a born and bred pie-eater and have been following Wigan since 1965.
My old mum, who is 75, made an 80 mile round trip last night to watch the game. She wasn't impressed.

My Dad is even older and played the game as a kid and was friends with some former greats when at school and what he has to say is not complimentary.

From the apparent lack of marketing skills, i.e. team shirts not available at the start of the season-how incompetent is that?

This is the only thing I will take issue with you in your post. That problem was part of the process of extricating the club from the DW/JJB empire.

Mick Hogan is doing a good job on this front.

Dave
AJ 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12903No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 17 200222 years315th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Aug 21 20:3731st Aug 21 20:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 am  
Bilko wrote:
The club never recovered from Central Park going in the late 90s. The soul of the club died then. We are now based at a venue where we are clearly not wanted - with little prospect of moving.

You know its bad when real loyal fans just don't enjoy going anymore - and to be truthful I'm getting towards that stage. I know I'll keep going but I really can't see anything changing whilst we remain in the JJB. We can change coach, playing personnel, whatever - but nothing will change.

Yep. Thats the bulk of it in a nutshell.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 29 200716 years230th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 08:088th Apr 24 09:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:44 am  
Bilko wrote:
The club never recovered from Central Park going in the late 90s. The soul of the club died then. We are now based at a venue where we are clearly not wanted - with little prospect of moving.

You know its bad when real loyal fans just don't enjoy going anymore - and to be truthful I'm getting towards that stage. I know I'll keep going but I really can't see anything changing whilst we remain in the JJB. We can change coach, playing personnel, whatever - but nothing will change.

I totally agree, yesterday I parked up at Tesco car park near the bronze rugby ball statue. Being a saints supporter I remembered every year going to central park and the place was the heart and soul of rugby league.
Now when I go to the JJB it seems the share of ownership with the football doesn,t work, the pride and soul of rugby is not there, but has been replaced by an one crisis after another. The club is always looking for a quick fix when it should be looking for its lost soul.
ChrisA 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1828No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200519 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 17:241st Apr 24 14:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 am  
Bilko wrote:

Same really, I go to games as a matter of loyalty. I no longer look forward to going, the team is poor, I don't care if we get to the semis again, nothing will change the fact that the team we have has no class at all. We have good players in a few positions, but we don't have 1 great player.

I've never seen a team so devoid of ideas and leadership.

You never expect us to go the length of the field, ever. At one time we'd be throwing the ball around in our own quarter looking for a break. There's just no excitement in our play at all.

As said, I'll still go as I love the club. It just isn't fun like it used to be, you turn up expecting to watch dire negative rugby, and we are never disappointed.

We could go out and win our next 3 games, and it would paper over the cracks IMO. We are a team in crisis, IMO. We may win a good few games, but when it matters against the big teams, in the big games, our lack of class will be evident every single game.

I find it truly unbelievable that the team we have is using up the salary cap, or as close as damn it. We don't have any big names, not one. So where the feck is that money going? You look at the names on the team-sheet at Leeds and Saints, even Warrington. They have star names across the park. Then you look at us, and its, blahhhh......
WRE 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1424No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Dec 09 13:081st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 am  
i have read your posts and believe that ylour poor player recruitment and the willingness to allow quality wigan lads to leave is the main reason for your poor run of form in the last 6 or so years!

Mark Riddell will not bring as much to the table as higham did in one game all this season.

karl pryce? phelps? etc etc you have some very expensive poor players on your books.
look at the likes of briscoe, wild, gilmour, hodgson, robinson brown etc etc too many good players seen the exit door. your main problem is you never replaced andy farrell!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1888No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 19 200716 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 16 11:0425th Aug 16 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Conroy - Being a Latics fan i'm already immune to watching sh*te.

Sally Cinnamon - Treat the Saints forum as you would if you met a girl from St Helens. Best policy would be to avoid altogether but if you absolutely can't resist temptation then take every possible precaution.

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:21 am  
WRE wrote:
i have read your posts and believe that ylour poor player recruitment and the willingness to allow quality wigan lads to leave is the main reason for your poor run of form in the last 6 or so years!

Mark Riddell will not bring as much to the table as higham did in one game all this season.

karl pryce? phelps? etc etc you have some very expensive poor players on your books.
look at the likes of briscoe, wild, gilmour, hodgson, robinson brown etc etc too many good players seen the exit door. your main problem is you never replaced andy farrell!

Wild yes, brisc maybe, the rest, no.

As for MH, do you mean the Cats game where he brought so much to the table? Mainly handing the victory to the French?!
WRE 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1424No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Dec 09 13:081st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 am  
WigansForeignLegion wrote:
Wild yes, brisc maybe, the rest, no.

As for MH, do you mean the Cats game where he brought so much to the table? Mainly handing the victory to the French?!

oh dear! i would imagine 95% of wigan fans would roughly agree with what i am saying! you must be one of them supporters noble would get on well with!
Previous