Club Coach7735
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years80th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 21:2323rd Apr 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:34 pm  
hatty wrote:
George didn’t deserve it though IMO. And when he was given it he abused it to get a better contract in Australia. For what it’s worth I think the whole concept of having marquee players is wrong, yes by all means players should negotiate For better contracts, after all it’s a short career and they need to earn all they can. But all this nonsense of putting them on this sandstone pedestal called “marquee” is quite pathetic IMO

So you'd have let him go for nothing end of 2017?
And in what way did he "Abuse" it?

The rule is the rule and without it more players would be lost and less would return.
But it's strange to me that no other clubs fans obsess about Marquee as wigan fans.

I read on here week in week out how bad george Williams is by the experts, but then turn sky or other outlets on and coach after coach, player after player that's played with or against him constantly praise him and call him one of if not the best player in the comp over and over again.
See Ryan Sutton (A player we've missed more than some would like to accept) as another example.

George was one of our top 2/3 players pretty much week in week out season after season for the last 5 years plus and these players deserve good remuneration.

Oliver Gildart, another who has been fantastic for wigan for 4/5 years. Some no mark on Facebook or internet forum makes up a rumour about going to st helens and he's slagged off to high heaven, he mentions that he may fancy giving the NRL a crack at some point and the same happens.

We want to go sign players like Hastings and G Burgess and welcome them with open arms whilst not wanting to pay our own home grown players what they're worth and then slang them off for wanting to go somewhere else.

And FWIW if George is available in 2/3 years time and he's better than what we have or can get then I'd have him back in a shot.
Anything else would be just ludicrous

Same with Sutton / Bateman.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4652
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 17:4219th Apr 24 21:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:10 pm  
Agree with that. Williams and Gildart have been good servants of the club which any other SL club (including Saints, I'm sure) would be glad to have had. And there's no point in a "we wouldn't take anyone back after the NRL" attitude which is cutting off our noses to spite our face. Each case should be judged on its merits at the time.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:48 pm  
Jukesays wrote:

The rule is the rule and without it more players would be lost and less would return.
But it's strange to me that no other clubs fans obsess about Marquee as wigan fans.

I read on here week in week out how bad george Williams is by the experts, but then turn sky or other outlets on and coach after coach, player after player that's played with or against him constantly praise him and call him one of if not the best player in the comp over and over again.
See Ryan Sutton (A player we've missed more than some would like to accept) as another example.

George was one of our top 2/3 players pretty much week in week out season after season for the last 5 years plus and these players deserve good remuneration.

Oliver Gildart, another who has been fantastic for wigan for 4/5 years. Some no mark on Facebook or internet forum makes up a rumour about going to st helens and he's slagged off to high heaven, he mentions that he may fancy giving the NRL a crack at some point and the same happens.

We want to go sign players like Hastings and G Burgess and welcome them with open arms whilst not wanting to pay our own home grown players what they're worth and then slang them off for wanting to go somewhere else.

And FWIW if George is available in 2/3 years time and he's better than what we have or can get then I'd have him back in a shot.

Sutton has come on leaps and bounds in the NRL, there were times last season I watched him and wondered whether it was a different Ryan Sutton than the one that left Wigan. That shows the quality of coaching in the NRL.

I’m not saying George didn’t deserve it but I have questioned on multiple occasions his actual ability to play off the cuff. I think he’s a player that needs to play to a set structure, when he tries off the cuff it looks like he’s got no ideas and goes from left to right, feigning a drop off a jink, shimmy and dummy and more often than not he’s tackled. Regardless of that, he still is IMO a brilliant player I just wonder if his brilliance is over hyped sometimes.

Gildart for me is the best of all 3. A solid player defensively and offensively and he has scored and set up some fantastic tries since his debut. I’d be gutted if/when Oli leaves to be honest. I didn’t believe the Saints transfer rumour at the time and still don’t now. If he wants to go the NRL then fine. I hope he does and makes a success of it.

If we were offered right now British players in the NRL I’d take back Bateman for certain plus Whitehead and Hodgson. The rest can stay for me.
hatty 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3718
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200321 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 18:4019th Apr 24 15:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:14 pm  
Jukesays wrote:

No other club loses its players to the NRL as much as Wigan do and probably the reason why it gets mentioned more than normal. Marquee at Wigan tends to mean ‘ currently under contract but will listen to any serious offers’.
The “experts” just like yourself have a right to comment, not everyone will like it, not everyone will agree, but as a fan you pays your money and you say it how you see it.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7524
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years203rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 24 17:5018th Feb 24 17:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:05 pm  
hatty wrote:
No other club loses its players to the NRL as much as Wigan do and probably the reason why it gets mentioned more than normal. Marquee at Wigan tends to mean ‘ currently under contract but will listen to any serious offers’.
The “experts” just like yourself have a right to comment, not everyone will like it, not everyone will agree, but as a fan you pays your money and you say it how you see it.

No other club has been more successful than us this decade.

Leeds have won as many SL trophies as us but all of their best players were older and have now retired, except Kallum Watkins and Ryan Hall, who have both finally gone to the NRL and left it way too late.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:37 pm  
hatty wrote:

There’s also the fact that no other club touches us with regards to player development through the academy. We consistently produce talented players who litter SL. The best play for Wigan. The very best are poached to the NRL.

In a way it’s an underhanded compliment. A nod to the success of our academy. There are a few exceptions (Sarginson and Bateman) but the rest came through our academy. I think the fact Australian clubs not only want them but chase them is a terrific testament to the academy coaches and set up.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7735
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years80th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 21:2323rd Apr 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:
There’s also the fact that no other club touches us with regards to player development through the academy. We consistently produce talented players who litter SL. The best play for Wigan. The very best are poached to the NRL.

In a way it’s an underhanded compliment. A nod to the success of our academy. There are a few exceptions (Sarginson and Bateman) but the rest came through our academy. I think the fact Australian clubs not only want them but chase them is a terrific testament to the academy coaches and set up.

Correct
So it's quite simple
Stop producing talented players that give us 4/5/6/7 years good service
And
Stop signing 19/20 year old project signings for the fear that they may be good players and eventually lose them.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 09 200717 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 22:3215th Apr 24 14:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:19 pm  
Rumours coming from France about a Wigan/ prop going Catalan?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6307
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200419 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 24 09:3429th Dec 23 11:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm  
That Mon wrote:
Rumours coming from France about a Wigan/ prop going Catalan?

Navarette?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29286
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 12:5024th Apr 24 18:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 pm  
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a late career move for somebody like Flower, much in the mould of McIlorum going there. They’ve had a couple of spells of Navarette now and he’s not nailed a place there in either.
PreviousNext