JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 28 200618 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 16:1914th Jan 24 14:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper.

Big Steve wrote:
The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them.

aboveusonlypie...
If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:21 am  
DaveO wrote:
Well I don't know about that but you have to laugh at the "complexities of the breakdown" twaddle.

RU types - particularly forwards - love to tell you how complex the RU forward game is. I suffered lectures on this all the time my son was playing for Chester RUFC minis and juniors but I was stood there watching the game and thinking it was all pretty straightforward. You learn the rules and get on with it. What's the problem?

At a much lower level my son has made the transition the other way. He is now at Uni and is in the RL team and absolutely loves it. He played wing in union as he was growing up and got a pass once in a blue moon but his adult physique is that of a half back or hooker and that is where he plays in RL.

Talking to him about it and the differences between the two games is interesting. "Knackered" is a phrase he uses a lot. The almost 100% involvement playing hooker left him with wobbly legs after his first game playing there but he absolutely loves it compared to RU.

I am sure Joel has a lot more to do than Chris Ashton and wouldn't really care if he didn't anyway given the pennies he will get for playing RU but I for one don't believe for a minute Joel will find it as enjoyable a sport to play as RL was.

Despite the recent upturn in fittness levels in RU at the top level, its still nowhere near RL. Complexities my booty, just smartarses talking it up. They will be attracting good RL players not because its a better game, or neccesarily because of the higher profile, its all down to money as it was when players were coming to RL from RU. Its as simple as that. RFL take note and get your fricking finger out!!!
RankPostsTeam
International Star469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 201113 years322nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 21 09:5416th May 21 00:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 am  
RU is nowhere near as fast as RL, the fitness levels and athleticism across the park are nowhere near RL.

The game itself in the home nations is not a great spectacle, in fact the english league during the winter is just awful to watch.

But to say there aren't complexities that are difficult to learn is utter rubbish.

It is hugely more complex than league, the breakdown is a nightmare at first, the defensive structure is massively different and the interpretation of the rules is difficult to say the least.

I am not a union fan, but i can see it for what it is, for a mid twenties top RL player going to a top RU team, the transition is VERY difficult for the first year or two.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years194th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 06:4012th May 24 06:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am  
Owen Farrell will become the next Johnny Wilkinson though - in that the only TV highlights we'll ever see of him will involve kicking for goal, but that won't matter as it's so damned important to them.
RankPostsTeam
International Star993
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Apr 24 14:239th Sep 17 09:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Have you noticed, you can never find a radical priest when you need one.

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm  
upsetzombie wrote:
RU is nowhere near as fast as RL, the fitness levels and athleticism across the park are nowhere near RL.

The game itself in the home nations is not a great spectacle, in fact the english league during the winter is just awful to watch.

But to say there aren't complexities that are difficult to learn is utter rubbish.

It is hugely more complex than league, the breakdown is a nightmare at first, the defensive structure is massively different and the interpretation of the rules is difficult to say the least.

I am not a union fan, but i can see it for what it is, for a mid twenties top RL player going to a top RU team, the transition is VERY difficult for the first year or two.

You can say that again! But when all’s said and done, just put a stopwatch on both games and time the parts of the matches when no actual running play is taking place. I wonder which game would have served up the most action? :ASK:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5842
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 28 200618 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Big Steve wrote:
The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them.

aboveusonlypie...
If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 pm  
RU is up there with Football, Darts, F1, Golf and Saturday night TV... Its baby food for the brain dead.

You don't need to watch it closely as you can pick up whats happening after you have reached from the sofa for your Pizza or tasteless Lager.....
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach327No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 18 200320 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 24 10:4916th Feb 24 12:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 pm  
If you say so chaps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 08 200618 years310th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 12:4611th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 pm  
You have to have played RU to appreciate it. I can understand frustrations re the scrummaging and breakdown laws, and the number of penalties, but the rules are such that players are coached tactics that will win the all important penalty. If side A is a far better scrummaging team than side B, then side A will constantly win penalties for the opposition weak scrum collapsing, breaking up and wheeling. I'm an official at a NE RU club and in our game yesterday we won a number of penalties and scored a try from our superior scrum. Last week we scored 7 tries, 5 were by forwards and were from close in. Not great to watch at times, but it did the business.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5842
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 28 200618 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Big Steve wrote:

aboveusonlypie...

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 pm  
Teessidewire wrote:
You have to have played RU to appreciate it. I can understand frustrations re the scrummaging and breakdown laws, and the number of penalties, but the rules are such that players are coached tactics that will win the all important penalty. If side A is a far better scrummaging team than side B, then side A will constantly win penalties for the opposition weak scrum collapsing, breaking up and wheeling. I'm an official at a NE RU club and in our game yesterday we won a number of penalties and scored a try from our superior scrum. Last week we scored 7 tries, 5 were by forwards and were from close in. Not great to watch at times, but it did the business.

The point is that the great technical skills people talk of, cannot be seen when watching a game live. Its boring as hell, and gives you heaps of time to eat your prawn sarnies and sup yer Bolly. As you say, not great to watch, thankyou for agreeing ;)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5842
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 28 200618 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Big Steve wrote:

aboveusonlypie...

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 pm  
Teessidewire wrote:

Plus, i think many people who post on here will have played at sometime...
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:0028th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: Good Joel Tomkins article : Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:59 pm  
upsetzombie wrote:

It's different but its not rocket science. Hugely more complex? Nonsense. I am sure its a very convenient excuse if things don't quite go as smoothly as anticipated though for whatever reason.

Even people involved in RU get sick of the forwards prattling on about the complexities of the forward game and I am speaking from experience.
PreviousNext