Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3430
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Is anyone else getting sick of the penalty for being behind the ruck? It's the softest, most cringe-worthy rule in our game and one that is becoming a real issue. Teams are now playing for it. In the Saints game a player actually straddled another to hold them in place while they played the ball into them! Again, last night there were multiple examples of players using this to get easy yards up field.

Whilst you can't blame coaches and players for taking the easy route, I think it's now a case where the interpretation of this rule is against the spirit of the game. There are literally hundreds of free metres being doled out by refs unable to distinguish between a player deliberately trying to slow play down and one simply caught on the wrong side. Every instance is an automatic penalty. We're actually at the point where players are being penalised for being unable to magically disappear! Surely that's the point at which it's become a farce?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm
Posts: 1276
Most of the players penalised don't really do enough to get out the way. Lying on the ground with your hands up isn't trying. Having said that Clark definitely practically jumped on top of Shorrocks before playing the ball late on last night.






Lebron James wrote: Saints by 32

Regards

King James

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:40 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3430
Location: Just about to go do some work!
WireWireWire wrote:Most of the players penalised don't really do enough to get out the way. Lying on the ground with your hands up isn't trying. Having said that Clark definitely practically jumped on top of Shorrocks before playing the ball late on last night.

I agree that players need to be making an effort to clear the ruck but I think we've reached a situation where it no longer matters whether they are or not, it's a penalty anyway. This has lead to attacking players actively trying to prevent defenders moving out of the way in order to milk this penalty or jumping up, not to get a quick play the ball, but with the sole intention of rolling the ball back into the prone defender. We had an instance the other week where the hooker stood several metres away from the play the ball waiting for his team mate to play it into the defender. He did so by playing the ball about 2 metres behind him! The result? Penalty of course.

Tbh I'm not even sure it's that difficult to spot a player trying to slow the play down as opposed to one simply caught on the wrong side. It's just that referees are choosing not to apply any common sense.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm
Posts: 1734
Phuzzy wrote:Is anyone else getting sick of the penalty for being behind the ruck? It's the softest, most cringe-worthy rule in our game and one that is becoming a real issue. Teams are now playing for it. In the Saints game a player actually straddled another to hold them in place while they played the ball into them! Again, last night there were multiple examples of players using this to get easy yards up field.

Whilst you can't blame coaches and players for taking the easy route, I think it's now a case where the interpretation of this rule is against the spirit of the game. There are literally hundreds of free metres being doled out by refs unable to distinguish between a player deliberately trying to slow play down and one simply caught on the wrong side. Every instance is an automatic penalty. We're actually at the point where players are being penalised for being unable to magically disappear! Surely that's the point at which it's become a farce?

It's one of the things killing the game - the referee has so much influence on the result. They can literally see what they want, and often do.

That said it's not all their fault - like a naughty toddler, players have been probing where the line is for a long time and now the game is in the state it's in because nobody has slapped them on the wrists and told them no.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:14 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22866
Location: WIGAN
Warrington should’ve been penalised on at least 5 or 6 occasions last night for moving off the mark with the ball. They did Thaler up grand style and he fell for it big time.

I thought his getting in the way of Hardaker for Ratchfords try just about summed up his night.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm
Posts: 1276
NickyKiss wrote:Warrington should’ve been penalised on at least 5 or 6 occasions last night for moving off the mark with the ball. They did Thaler up grand style and he fell for it big time.

I thought his getting in the way of Hardaker for Ratchfords try just about summed up his night.


Nobody gets penalised for moving off the mark. Ever.






Lebron James wrote: Saints by 32

Regards

King James

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 219
WireWireWire wrote:Nobody gets penalised for moving off the mark. Ever.

Then its about time they were.
We could start with every player in possession of the ball that steps over the tackler to play the ball into him to win a penalty is penalised for moving off the mark.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 36350
wigginswarrior wrote:Then its about time they were.
We could start with every player in possession of the ball that steps over the tackler to play the ball into him to win a penalty is penalised for moving off the mark.

Its cause and effect, teams like us have to do stuff like that to counteract teams like you that run that 3rd man in that isnt needed and slow rocks down to a crawl, and get in the way.

You cant have it both ways.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:52 pm 
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:38 pm
Posts: 46
P-J wrote:It's one of the things killing the game - the referee has so much influence on the result. They can literally see what they want, and often do.

That said it's not all their fault - like a naughty toddler, players have been probing where the line is for a long time and now the game is in the state it's in because nobody has slapped them on the wrists and told them no.

It seems that teams (like Wigan) who are struggling suddenly start questioning the rules, the standard of the game and most of all the ref’s decisions.
You are no different to supporters of other teams who have previously been languishing toward the bottom of the league, but probably you feel a bit more badly done to, as you your historic success makes your p 1 s s poor rugby this’s season makes defeat(s) harder to swallow. Arrogance personified!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruck penalty.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:19 pm 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 965
sarge1 wrote:It seems that teams (like Wigan) who are struggling suddenly start questioning the rules, the standard of the game and most of all the ref’s decisions.
You are no different to supporters of other teams who have previously been languishing toward the bottom of the league, but probably you feel a bit more badly done to, as you your historic success makes your p 1 s s poor rugby this’s season makes defeat(s) harder to swallow. Arrogance personified!!!!

And they start to creep out from under rocks and putting on that air of superiority. If you had been a regular visitor to this board you would see that this is a regular topic of conversation. Talk about arrogance.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next





It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Azul, chip, CobraCraig, FearTheVee, Google Adsense [Bot], hatty, JonnyBroad, Jukesays, muttywhitedog, NickyKiss, Orrell Lad, pie.warrior, post, RichieS, Russel, sergeant pepper, ShortArse, Singing Warrior, The Publican, The Whiffy Kipper, Trainman, WARRIOR5, warriorweed and 250 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 pm
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,907,3562,35477,6484,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
MANLY
34-14
ST.GEORGE
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
38-12
CANTERBURY
 Full Time  
 CH
BARROW RAIDERS
21-8
HALIFAX
 Full Time  
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
24-54
SHEFFIELD
 Full Time  
 CH
FEATHERSTONE
22-4
WIDNES VIKINGS
 Full Time  
 CH
LEIGH
52-20
BRADFORD BULLS
 Full Time  
 CH
YORK
60-0
ROCHDALE
 Full Time  
SLXXIV
SALFORD
44-20
WAKEFIELD
 Full Time  
 CH1
NEWCASTLE
26-20
WHITEHAVEN
 Full Time  
 CH1
OLDHAM
28-4
KEIGHLEY
 Full Time  
 CH1
WORKINGTON TOWN
54-16
COVENTRY BEARS
Fri 21st Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
Fri 5th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 12th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 18th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 3rd Aug 17:00
SLXXIV
HULL FC
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 9th Aug 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 16th Aug 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 1st Sep 15:00
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28

.