FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sack Adrian Lam - bring back Wane - all is forgiven
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Apr 24 06:4428th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Yeah well you dummies who wanted rid of a coach that was winning trophies have got what you asked for but if you think Wane returning would make that much difference you're deluded. Ian Lenegan is responsible for where we are right now. Years of terrible recruitment and 'value' signings replacing world class players are coming home to roost. Throw the current coaching situation on top and Lenegan has got what he asked for, a team of crappers and past it players that are as confused with the coaching situation as you and i are.

I rather have Millward back than Wane. Seriously, that bloke may have won trophies but he put me off watching Wigan.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years243rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 07:1229th Mar 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

post wrote:
I rather have Millward back than Wane. Seriously, that bloke may have won trophies but he put me off watching Wigan.

.... :STUPID:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 22 07:503rd Feb 20 06:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Pieman wrote:
but the teams stopped tackling and look proper unfit under him

The fitness is probably down to losing Bitcon which is showing to be worse than any decision to let a player go.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years243rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:
The fitness is probably down to losing Bitcon which is showing to be worse than any decision to let a player go.

cant disagree
RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 201113 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 23 17:244th Nov 23 09:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:

There isn’t an issue with fitness. When you’re constantly defending of course it saps you’re energy. We gave away 4 penalties in the first 10 minutes and we just didn’t have a decent share of possession. Our kicking game was horrendous and nothing more than catching practice for their back 3.
There are some players who are just not good enough. Isa bombed yet another great chance early on and we’re our own worst enemy. We’re clearly lacking in confidence and clearly missing a decent 7. I hope Shorrocks is ok but he’s not taking his chance to cement that scrum half spot. He was far more effective when he was coming on to cover for Leuluai at 9.
We need to announce Lam as coach and give him a blank canvas to rebuild our squad. He needs to be ruthless in his approach and be given the resources he needs to bring in whoever he trusts both on and off the field.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain32
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 08 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Feb 21 19:0921st Nov 20 10:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Fitness levels don't look the same since losing Mark Bitcon

We have a team of hopefuls and Championship standard players

Hankinson
Isa
Tautai
Flower
Clubb
Marshall
Sammut
Sarginson
Powell
Navarette

And let's all just face it the academy doesn't churn out players like the Farrell's, O'Loughlin, Tomkins' anymore.

Most of the academy players to come through in last few years are sub standard and will never be top class internationals

Paisley
Woods
Marshall
Partington
Byrne
Shorrocks
Mullen
Wells
Ganson
Forsyth
Field
Barnes

Plus then we have the regular crocks

O'Loughlin
Farrell
Manfredi

Plus now today Leuluai went of injured as did Shorrocks and Davies

No coach would be able to stand the amount of injuries we have and then the fundamental cock ups by players like Hamlin and Mullen rub more salt in the wounds

From top to bottom the club needs an overhaul

I don't think Lam is the right man based on what we have seen but he got a chance and has been massively hampered!!

Lenngan needs to pull his finger out and ditch Radlinski because he is neither use nor ornament and some proper investment needs making and star players from a number of years gone by need replacing.

Moan over
RankPostsTeam
International Star2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200914 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 07:4021st Nov 23 08:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:

He's only been gone a few months so chances are the club will be doing exactly the same things as when he was here. It's not like he had magic potions and we're now desperately searching for a way to recreate his magic formula because everyone has suddenly gone from well conditioned athlete to severely unfit in a matter of weeks.

Paul Johnson as a strength and conditioning coach was working under Mark Bitcon (who was Head of Performance) for a while. Chances are he will be doing the same things as he was under Bitcon and any adverse effects of losing Bitcon will probably be longer term if the club don't keep up with advances in sports science. I would imagine that currently the club is using the same practices as before.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain443
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jan 20 18:2322nd Dec 19 12:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Lammy will not be sacked, in fact I believe the plan is to give him a three year deal middle of next week...

Now, you can look at that two ways, either Lammy is complicit in the IL masterplan of cost-cutting and is happy to see his managerial career be shattered for good or the future is a lot brighter than we all presume...I am with the latter.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years243rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Cherry.Pie wrote:
He's only been gone a few months so chances are the club will be doing exactly the same things as when he was here. It's not like he had magic potions and we're now desperately searching for a way to recreate his magic formula because everyone has suddenly gone from well conditioned athlete to severely unfit in a matter of weeks.

Paul Johnson as a strength and conditioning coach was working under Mark Bitcon (who was Head of Performance) for a while. Chances are he will be doing the same things as he was under Bitcon and any adverse effects of losing Bitcon will probably be longer term if the club don't keep up with advances in sports science. I would imagine that currently the club is using the same practices as before.

So has wane, been a massive change in playing style
cadoo 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13933
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 23 200617 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 22:083rd Apr 24 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.

bazdev wrote:
Adrian Lam is not to blame, the recruitment and the cost cutting is. There was plenty of effort today but we were just playing a better side. We lost 2 of our biggest competitors in Tomkins and Bateman and that hunger is really hard to replicate. I dont even think Wane would make much difference.

This year should be consolidation make sure we dont finish bottom and then allow Lam to construct a squad of players he wants and can work with. I have no doubts that Adrian Lam will be a good coach, but he took on a job that was a no win situation. Now Edwards has shown his true colours we should back him. Panic sacking your coach every year you struggle isnt the answer

You've said nothing unreasonable there.

However a "consolidation year" is a poor return and not great for our dwindling number of season ticket holders.

I do believe Wane would make a difference. I sincerely mean that. He has a proven pedigree of getting the best out of what he has been given (injuries included) to great success. I do think short term he would make a difference.

That being said, you are right. Fundamentally our recruitment has been our biggest hindrance and the reason we find ourselves in this current perilous predicament. We have lost two fierce competitors in Sam Tomkins and John Bateman (who both incidentally are killing it at their present clubs). Their absence is hitting us hard.

I am curious how you have "no doubt" Lam is a good coach. What evidence have you seen to warrant this level of faith?
Last edited by cadoo on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext