FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sack Adrian Lam - bring back Wane - all is forgiven
cadoo 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13933
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 23 200617 years273rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 06:183rd Apr 24 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.

Salty wrote:
I understand people wanting to bring Wane back but my view is different. After watching Wigan for 60 years and so obviously I’ve seen many ups and a few downs. I can take these downs because I know that in a couple of years time we’ll have improved out of sight and maybe Saints will be struggling.
However, I watch Wigan to be entertained and therefore I don’t want Wane back. He’s a coach who knows how to win but winning at the expense of entertainment is not for me. I’ve only been bored at Wigan matches when Noble and Wane have been in charge.
Strangely, I’ve enjoyed watching Wigan this season. We’ve only won three games but I’ve seen some magnificent tries scored by Wigan. Injuries plus a few players who aren’t Wigan standard have been the reason for the losses.
I don’t thing Lam should be judged on results alone.

Good post.

I was in the camp of Wane needing to move on due to the boredom at the RL played. I will openly confess my sin of not renewing a season ticket partly due to this. However he did bring success and that cannot be overlooked. Was the Shaun Wane of playing purely down to the substandard recruitment we've made and he had to play a certain conservative style to win? Speculative and largely irrelevant now.

To pick up on your final point, I'm not so sure. I cant say I have seen a great deal of difference in our style of play. It still looks very familiar to me. What "magnificent tries" are you referring to? Either way, one thing we can all surely agree on is our defence has gone backwards. Significantly backwards and that is definitely not entertaining to see. Seeing David Fafita tearing us apart running down the wing took the proverbial biscuit.

Injuries and players who aren't Wigan standard have played their part - I agree. However - did that ever stop Shaun Wane getting results?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 12 20158 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 24 07:1622nd Jan 24 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WARRIOR5 wrote:
The fitness is probably down to losing Bitcon which is showing to be worse than any decision to let a player go.

Yup,week by week that loss is ever more glaring
Salty 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2651No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 200420 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Sep 23 07:0317th Aug 23 21:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Pieman wrote:
weve just be stuffed by Saints and youve been entertained?....youdve that happen than win 4-2 in an arm wrestle of a game? seriously??

I love Wigan winning but a 4-2 arm wrestle. No thanks. I’ve not always thought like this but in the past few years I’ve become bored but I’ve kept on watching, hoping Wigan will be more entertaining.
I understand fans who want to win at all costs but it’s not for me.
We won the Grand Final a few times recently but we’ve lost about 4,000 fans, two of my friends included. They’d had enough of boring rugby.
We scored a try from a scrum at Wakefield.
When Wane was in charge, at a scrum our scrum half passed to a forward standing in the stand-off position who drove the ball in.
Pieman 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4716No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 201014 years238th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 14:5829th Mar 24 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salty wrote:
I love Wigan winning but a 4-2 arm wrestle. No thanks. I’ve not always thought like this but in the past few years I’ve become bored but I’ve kept on watching, hoping Wigan will be more entertaining.
We won the Grand Final a few times recently but we’ve lost about 4,000 fans, two of my friends included. They’d had enough of boring rugby.
When Wane was in charge, at a scrum our scrum half passed to a forward standing in the stand-off position who drove the ball in.

They’ve lost fans every year under IL even when we played good stuff under Madge, if you’d rather lose like that today than win a close arm wrestle then fair enough...we won plenty of games like that in the 80’s and 90’s too
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years272nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Fitness is a massive issue, though he’s a cracking player and is doing well I think Zak Hardaker is a stone overweight.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years272nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Salty wrote:

Under Wane there was no such thing as an offload, a chip over the top and it was rugby by numbers. It was like Soviet style dull grey rugby.
bazdev 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200321 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 22:5021st Apr 24 23:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

cadoo wrote:
You've said nothing unreasonable there.

However a "consolidation year" is a poor return and not great for our dwindling number of season ticket holders.

I do believe Wane would make a difference. I sincerely mean that. He has a proven pedigree of getting the best out of what he has been given (injuries included) to great success. I do think short term he would make a difference.

That being said, you are right. Fundamentally our recruitment has been our biggest hindrance and the reason we find ourselves in this current perilous predicament. We have lost two fierce competitors in Sam Tomkins and John Bateman (who both incidentally are killing it at their present clubs). Their absence is hitting us hard.

I am curious how you have "no doubt" Lam is a good coach. What evidence have you seen to warrant this level of faith?

To be honest I've heard from someone close to the squad how much the players like his ideas and they think he can take us to the next level. Now obviously that hasn't materialised yet, but you cant expect miracles with the injuries we have had this season. Saints have used 23 players all season, how many have we? Id guess closer to 40. How can we expect any continuity changing tons of changes each week.

That being said, I dont think a full strength this side would be top 4 so I am willing to give him time to get it right. I would definitely give him the whole of this season and next but maybe Lenagan will opt for change. Who knows.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years161st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 21:3623rd Apr 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

bazdev wrote:
To be honest I've heard from someone close to the squad how much the players like his ideas and they think he can take us to the next level. Now obviously that hasn't materialised yet, but you cant expect miracles with the injuries we have had this season. Saints have used 23 players all season, how many have we? Id guess closer to 40. How can we expect any continuity changing tons of changes each week.

That being said, I dont think a full strength this side would be top 4 so I am willing to give him time to get it right. I would definitely give him the whole of this season and next but maybe Lenagan will opt for change. Who knows.

I think it's closer to thirty but got told today that there maybe two or three more on Monday.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 20186 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 24 06:328th Nov 21 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

cadoo wrote:
Good post.

I was in the camp of Wane needing to move on due to the boredom at the RL played. I will openly confess my sin of not renewing a season ticket partly due to this. However he did bring success and that cannot be overlooked. Was the Shaun Wane of playing purely down to the substandard recruitment we've made and he had to play a certain conservative style to win? Speculative and largely irrelevant now.

To pick up on your final point, I'm not so sure. I cant say I have seen a great deal of difference in our style of play. It still looks very familiar to me. What "magnificent tries" are you referring to? Either way, one thing we can all surely agree on is our defence has gone backwards. Significantly backwards and that is definitely not entertaining to see. Seeing David Fafita tearing us apart running down the wing took the proverbial biscuit.

Injuries and players who aren't Wigan standard have played their part - I agree. However - did that ever stop Shaun Wane getting results?

With out debating any of your points. I ask you one question, will you be renewing your ticket after the change of coach now boting waney has gone???
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 20186 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 24 06:328th Nov 21 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Salty wrote:

Are your friends happier now??????
PreviousNext