FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sack Adrian Lam - bring back Wane - all is forgiven
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 200618 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:3525th Mar 24 21:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I don't understand the criticisms of Wane with regard to playing boring poor rugby. Yes at times it wasn't the best, but at other times it was great to watch, a spectacle in attack and defence.
His systems was very machine like, but fundamentally created a team attack and team defence as everyone know what they were supposed to be doing and when. We had some bad games no doubt, but overall under Wane it was a highly successful period which saw us in lots of finals and winning silverware. That's just facts, not even opinion.

In opposition I see people championing how Lam has brought in new attacking flair and options, personally I just don't see what he's added at all. It's not just our defence which has gone to pot, but our attack also. Apart from a left edge which is dependent on the skillset of the players not really coaching, we look very off in attack as well.

Fact is, under Lam, we're joint bottom. People can defend him, say its an injury crisis etc or whatever, but we're bottom, that's a terrible fall from grace, I don't know how anyone can champion Lam or even want him to stay on, we're simply not there under him.

It's all hypothetical, but I can't imagine us being as bad if Wane was still in charge. Why? cos it never was. Wane always found a way to win, got the best out of 'so-so' players. I can only imagine how good he'd have been if he had someone like Moran as a chairman owner.

This post is spot on.

Having said that I hope we can turn it around whether that's under Lam or not.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 200618 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

post wrote:
Under Wane there was no such thing as an offload, a chip over the top and it was rugby by numbers. It was like Soviet style dull grey rugby.

Rugby by numbers as in 6 trophies since his appointment, several more final appearances and an excellent win percentage?

I can think of many games when Wigan played excellent rugby under Wane too.

But hey we score tries direct from scrums now so it's reet!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

That performance yesterday was one of the worst in attack and defence I’ve seen from a Wigan team in a long time. There just wasn’t any heart or desire to win from any player.

Constant indiscipline, unforgivable mistakes such as playing the ball to no one and a pass from the scrum straight back to a Saints attacker. I was watching in sheer embarassment at that pathetic showing.

Lam may want to get some tackle shields out and show the players what a tackle is. They fell off Johnny Lomax and Regan Grace with pathetic ease.

I don’t really know what Lam has brought to the team to be honest. The rugby isn’t really that good and we have somehow gone from fearless defenders to powder puff tacklers. He has been dealt a crappy hand but I do expect a lot better than this.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years273rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Apr 24 06:4428th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Th'Observer wrote:
Rugby by numbers as in 6 trophies since his appointment, several more final appearances and an excellent win percentage?

I can think of many games when Wigan played excellent rugby under Wane too.

But hey we score tries direct from scrums now so it's reet!

The low crowds and crap team is a direct result of Wane, similar to when Alex Ferguson left David Moyes with a team he’d won the league with the year before. Moyes was left with a substandard team as is Lam.

You’re clearly another Wane roundhead who would have him back tomorrow playing his Grey Soviet dull Lada rugby. The funny thing is, apart from the Saints 75-0 and the Leeds 70-0 the worst defeats we’d ever had were with Wane in charge. He never knew how to win a game but knew how not to lose one, by playing negative boring wrestling rugby which worked yes but it’s turned a lot of fans away. How many Wane games were 0-0 at half time? You remember the Widnes 7-0 game? How many tines were we billed under Wane?

I’ve seen enough of Lam to know that our attack is getting better but we need help or need to work on defence that’s for sure, it will be pretty hard for Lam to do anything considering our injury crisis as his methods weren’t going to happen over night. If we had a regular 6 and 7, a proper 9 and Hardaker playing together behind a pack of forwards who run hard and offload then we would be in the top 3.

Just looking, in 2011 in his first season we had an average of 16,000 plus, over 5 years it went down to the figure of last season as 11,000 plus. So 5000 fewer fans per game, how much revenue is that? And that’s a team that’s winning trophies, that’s fans who have voted with the their feet.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2765No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 200618 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 21:2824th May 23 20:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
roger daly wrote:
Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan

wrencat1873 wrote:
It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.

Big lads mate wrote:
you arrogant pot prick

Tricky2309 wrote:
Look prick do one

Willzay wrote:
you cocky pie eating c*nt.

post wrote:
The low crowds and crap team is a direct result of Wane, similar to when Alex Ferguson left David Moyes with a team he’d won the league with the year before. Moyes was left with a substandard team as is Lam.

You’re clearly another Wane roundhead who would have him back tomorrow playing his Grey Soviet dull Lada rugby. The funny thing is, apart from the Saints 75-0 and the Leeds 70-0 the worst defeats we’d ever had were with Wane in charge. He never knew how to win a game but knew how not to lose one, by playing negative boring wrestling rugby which worked yes but it’s turned a lot of fans away. How many Wane games were 0-0 at half time? You remember the Widnes 7-0 game? How many tines were we billed under Wane?

I’ve seen enough of Lam to know that our attack is getting better but we need help or need to work on defence that’s for sure, it will be pretty hard for Lam to do anything considering our injury crisis as his methods weren’t going to happen over night. If we had a regular 6 and 7, a proper 9 and Hardaker playing together behind a pack of forwards who run hard and offload then we would be in the top 3.

Just looking, in 2011 in his first season we had an average of 16,000 plus, over 5 years it went down to the figure of last season as 11,000 plus. So 5000 fewer fans per game, how much revenue is that? And that’s a team that’s winning trophies, that’s fans who have voted with the their feet.

It'll be interesting to see what the average is this season, with this exciting, score from the scrum base rugby won't it? Because I guarantee it'll be less than last season.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9258
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years102nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 08:2019th Apr 24 11:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Suzy Banyon wrote:
post wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what the average is this season, with this exciting, score from the scrum base rugby won't it? Because I guarantee it'll be less than last season.

The average will likely increase purely off the back of yesterday's crowd.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years273rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Suzy Banyon wrote:

During Wanes tenure they took the fans for granted serving up dire rugby because it didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, theyd finish somewhere thereabouts and win the trophy. But the fans saw through this, being taken for granted along with all the league games and this is a massive reason in why people voted with their feet.

Whether or not I have faith in Lam to carry us forward I think the standard of rugby on show has been miles better, albeit it was good under Wane in his first season, may have been down to Harris.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 200618 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

post wrote:

I recognise that Wane wasn't perfect and of course he had his faults. I'm not a fan of those close to record defeats either as I'm sure no fan at the club is.

Having said that my point was more aimed at the fact that I'm sick to death of reading about the alleged poor rugby from Wane's Wigan. Yes there were many games were we simply ground out results but there were also many entertaining matches when Wigan produced some top quality RL. I'm not sure if people don't recognise those performances or won't recognise those performances because they did happen under Wane. You speak of the 7-0 win but how about when we pumped Wire at Magic Weekend last year? Battered Saints on Good Friday in 2014? Runs up to and including the play-offs for several seasons? Pretty much the first 10-12 games of last season?

The crowds you point out are an alarming statistic and it's a stat none of us can be happy with and whilst I believe there are many social and economic factors impacting on our attendances there's no question people have voted with their feet. I find the voting with their feet notion almost staggering given the levels of success we've enjoyed. I'd say this is symptomatic of fans thinking they know better than the coaches and just generally never being satisfied - win, lose or draw. There's many of those same people who are critical of Lenagan but I can't say I blame him for cutting back a bit given literally thousands of the so-called loyal fan base have decided they know best and have hit the club in the pocket.

I hope Lam can turn this around and yes we'd all like results AND to be entertained but if it's a choice between the two given limitations in the squad I'd always choose results. It's a results based business. It'd be great to consistently have some razzle-dazzle on show but then again in any way shape or form I personally find winning usurps being entertained.

Lam hasn't been here that long in the grand scheme of things but alarmingly every player since his arrival seems to have gone backwards.

Let's hope Lam and the boys can it around and we can stop debating this and move forward collectively in a positive manner but at the current rate (you spoke about rugby by numbers) the numbers don't lie and they currently spell disaster for Lam.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years82nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:3719th Apr 24 11:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

post wrote:

2011 wasn't his first season, 2012 was, and that season was fantastic rugby but crowds went down.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years273rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Th'Observer wrote:
I recognise that Wane wasn't perfect and of course he had his faults. I'm not a fan of those close to record defeats either as I'm sure no fan at the club is.

Having said that my point was more aimed at the fact that I'm sick to death of reading about the alleged poor rugby from Wane's Wigan. Yes there were many games were we simply ground out results but there were also many entertaining matches when Wigan produced some top quality RL. I'm not sure if people don't recognise those performances or won't recognise those performances because they did happen under Wane. You speak of the 7-0 win but how about when we pumped Wire at Magic Weekend last year? Battered Saints on Good Friday in 2014? Runs up to and including the play-offs for several seasons? Pretty much the first 10-12 games of last season?

The crowds you point out are an alarming statistic and it's a stat none of us can be happy with and whilst I believe there are many social and economic factors impacting on our attendances there's no question people have voted with their feet. I find the voting with their feet notion almost staggering given the levels of success we've enjoyed. I'd say this is symptomatic of fans thinking they know better than the coaches and just generally never being satisfied - win, lose or draw. There's many of those same people who are critical of Lenagan but I can't say I blame him for cutting back a bit given literally thousands of the so-called loyal fan base have decided they know best and have hit the club in the pocket.

I hope Lam can turn this around and yes we'd all like results AND to be entertained but if it's a choice between the two given limitations in the squad I'd always choose results. It's a results based business. It'd be great to consistently have some razzle-dazzle on show but then again in any way shape or form I personally find winning usurps being entertained.

Lam hasn't been here that long in the grand scheme of things but alarmingly every player since his arrival seems to have gone backwards.

Let's hope Lam and the boys can it around and we can stop debating this and move forward collectively in a positive manner but at the current rate (you spoke about rugby by numbers) the numbers don't lie and they currently spell disaster for Lam.

In my opinion we need someone more experienced to take on the role of coaching us, someone who can get results but doesn’t play dreadful to watch rugby.
PreviousNext